Snobears and active perch

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like the American Angler is going to have a work out. Wish i new how to filet pike tried more than once i really suck at it, even after watching videos.
Never did learn how to take the y bones out of the northern I still pull them out after I pan fry them. I have transitioned to the shark blades for the American angler , Another thing I noticed is the male northern has much darker meat then the female the ones I cleaned onky had shrimp in thier bellies.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no expert either but it's getting easier every time. Instead of trying to debone half the fish at once I take the skin off then I cut fillets into smaller pieces and attack them from the end .

removing+pike+y-bones2.gif

I do it almost the same way Davey except I remove the skin before I take the ribs and "y" bones out. The slime on the skin makes the fillet slippery. One other thing. I think that the "y" bones end at the end of the body cavity where the rib bones end. We always used to cut the tail piece off before learning to remove the "y" bones and it was always boneless. We would give the tail pieces to the kids so they didn't have to mess with bones.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Was wondering is there a back strap from the top of the head to the tale that is bone free. Willing to try again would like to have fillets instead of releasing every one i catch. Thanks for the tips.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dragoneyes,
I found it easier to practice on the bigger pike as their bones are heavier and easier to debone. Not as easy to cut through them.

Fish On!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time I convince myself that marijuana should be legal, ol' lunker points out that there is a steep downside...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering is there a back strap from the top of the head to the tale that is bone free. Willing to try again would like to have fillets instead of releasing every one i catch. Thanks for the tips.

I think that there is. I've seen YouTube videos that show holding the northern upright on his belly on the cutting board and cutting behind the head down to the backbone and then back to the tail. They say that is a boneless piece of fish. Then you could fillet what is left and cut off the belly meat and rib bones and you should have all boneless northern.

But why? Removing the "y" bones from a skinless fillet is just too easy and you hardly lose any meat. Just watch some vids and after 3 or 4 fish you will not have a problem.

The other thing I do with all the fish I catch in Metigoshe is brine them for a few hours to overnight. The brine is a half of a teaspoon of white vinegar, a half teaspoon of salt and the juice of half lemon in a quart of water. I do this with northern, walleye, perch and blue gill. That's all we catch in Metigoshe.

Last edited by a moderator:

HUNTFISHND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to sit in my wheel house, watching my 20-year old FL-8 and a line from my equally as old Genz rod in that right hand. Add a beer in my left hand and I'm pretty content. Sometimes a fish will bite and wake me from kind of a doze. If I can get off the lake later in the day without getting stuck it's been a good day.

You should fish with my old man. Can't get that guy to move around and "look" for fish to save my life. I think he's just content to not be at home getting bitched at to do something from my mom.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should fish with my old man. Can't get that guy to move around and "look" for fish to save my life. I think he's just content to not be at home getting bitched at to do something from my mom.

Same here once we set up we rarely move that's why I don't take the old man out to look for perch he doesn't see the point in moving every 20 minutes if we don't mark any fish.
Also I can't get him used to reeling up the line instead of hand over hand retrieve in deep water it makes a mess for trying to get the lure down the hole again. That's why a snobear would be the cat meow

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7746.jpg
My boy and I just grind em whole and make soup. ��

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here once we set up we rarely move that's why I don't take the old man out to look for perch he doesn't see the point in moving every 20 minutes if we don't mark any fish.
Also I can't get him used to reeling up the line instead of hand over hand retrieve in deep water it makes a mess for trying to get the lure down the hole again. That's why a snobear would be the cat meow

Hand over hand is all good till the northern starts flopping and rolling in the pile of line. You should get your old man a good gaff they are a real mess saver.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 265
  • This month: 225
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78