Solar Eclipse

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
12867.jpeg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had flash burn before from thermite welding on the railroad. It was exactly like having someone throw sand in your eyes, not pleasant. Eyes have been troubles ever since ( night especially ). Nothing to mess with.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Didn't Mt St. Helens make the sky darker here in 1980 than the eclipse a few months before?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't Mt St. Helens make the sky darker here in 1980 than the eclipse a few months before?
Yes it did. That summer in the Hills sucked. Dreary March type weather most of summer vacation.

On another note: Without these criteria today wouldn't be possible: The sun is exactly 400 times further from the Earth than the moon. The moon is exactly 400 times smaller than the sun. That is not "coincidence".

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't remember the 1980 eclipse. I do vaguely remember sitting @ the intersection of Divide and State Street in Bismarck in mom's Chevy Vega and the sky being darkened and roughly the same dingy yellowish color as when big forest-fires send smoke over.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Breadstick Ricky and the Boss had a good one. "If the sun can blackout on a Monday then so can I"

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I happened to be in DC for work during it. Nearly total. Didn't plan accordingly. Had to borrow glasses for a minute. Wish I had planned. It was quite a view through glasses. If I had my way, I would have got a bucket of beer and stared into oblivion for 2 straight hours and watched it from start to finish. It's hard to explain. Neat I guess. Lol.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't remember the 1980 eclipse. I do vaguely remember sitting @ the intersection of Divide and State Street in Bismarck in mom's Chevy Vega and the sky being darkened and roughly the same dingy yellowish color as when big forest-fires send smoke over.

I remember it being more "yellowed" than darkened up on Fort Berthold. There were a couple of weeks where the cars just seemed to have a little extra dust on them.

Years later, I would get into heated discussions with a professor of mine who claimed ash from Saint Helens didn't make it to ND.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Probably depends very strongly on your location. In ND, no. Within 10-15 miles of Mt Saint Helens, probably.
It was darker here and for longer after Mt St Helens. My wife was a classmate, so I asked her if she remembered, and she's always right....:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5