Spare Prop

Mr. Pike

Established Member
How many of you carry a spare prop in your boat? I was thinking of getting a stainless steel for my Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke outboard. They're about twice the price of an aluminum. Is there any place that repairs/welds broken propellers in Bismarck? Looks like Bismarck Prop Works closed.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owned a boat for 30 years. Always had a stainless steel prop. No spare.
I was told if I hit something solid enough to bust the SS prop, that I would have much bigger problems than a broken prop.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Honda dealer ship in Mandan does prop repair now. I haven't heard anyone else's experience there but mine was not good. Several people have recommended sending them off to Big Sky.

Mr. Pike

Established Member
The prop on my new motor is a Flo-torq 2. It has a plastic insert that I suppose acts like a shear pin. If you hit something with the motor, it should chew up the plastic piece instead of the prop. If I could find a stainless steel prop that has that design, I might get it. If it's a reasonable price.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most if not all mercury stainless props can get a flow torque hub in them. Yes the plastic is ment to blow out to REDUCE damage to the prop. I have never damaged a prop before but have seen a number of props where the flow torque has saved the prop but repairs were still needed. An unbalanced prop can destroy the bearings/seals in the lower unit. If you hit something with a stainless or aluminum it's best to have it repaired regardless of the flow torque.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a stainless 4 blade that I run on my mercury 60hp outboard. I keep the original aluminum in the boat and a floating prop wrench with me all the time. Doesn't take up a ton of space and it's there if i need it. I used to run the aluminum prop the first couple trips to the river each year in case i hit something i would hope to shear a blade than ruin the lower unit. Neither prop i have have the plastic hub.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Aluminum get spare, if stainless care extra torque hub and also hope got kicker or trolling motor to get home.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 244
  • This month: 125
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40