Spinning Reels

What hand do you use to reel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they do what they do based on which hand/arm is dominant. If accuracy is important, which is often the case when fishing bass in cover, then you would want to cast with whichever hand provides the best control.

correct - but your dominant more accurate arm is also your strongest one too - not? That's the point of lefthand retrieve baitcaster reels being popular in the midwest - you can fish them like spinning reels always using your dominant arm to both cast and retrieve

only when stamina and all day grinds become key does it make sense to switch back forth between casting and holding during retrieve. That was my theory - but I don't know if it's true or not that bass pros do it that way.

I know all day pitch-fests for walleye with spinning reels can really take a toll on my right arm/shoulder - while my left is fresh comparatively speaking

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me.

images (1).jpg

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
The poll choices should be right and not right. You left handed cranking right handed people obviously have no clue what you're doing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
isnt this how you guys do it???

24174647_1588905774477984_1760351979633003981_n.jpg

I know it's ugly but when you need to do the double power hookset the leverage is incredible with this technique.

What this grip does is it allows you to pull up hard on BOTH the reel handle and the rod simultaneously - Lewis won't know what hit him.

Trust me - I'm a Pro. (see tagline)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
only when stamina and all day grinds become key does it make sense to switch back forth between casting and holding during retrieve.

You don't switch arms/hands. You switch to BB/Spinners or put the kicker down and troll cranks while enjoying a restful Bee Double-E Double-R U N, beer run.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right.

Goddamn Zebco. My kids will never touch one. I will start them with a spinning reel and teach them how to not fish like a moron for the rest of the lives.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same as Retired, spinning left hand, line counter right hand

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would it be different for a spinning reel vs. bait caster? I reel with my left as my right arm is stronger and more accurate to cast with. It can be very difficult to find a left hand retrieve bait caster reel and/or line counter.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can go both ways. But prefer to reel with my left hand and operate the rod with my right. It's like baseball. You throw the ball with your dominant arm and catch with the other. You don't see ball players throwing and catching with the same hand. Taking the glove on and off is inefficient. This is the same thing as switching hands on your rod. That's less fishing and more time doing nothing. That lowers your chances of catching a fish.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I also was taught/learned reeling with my right hand. My dad is left handed and my bro's and I grew up using his rod and reels that had right handed reels. I think as a snot nosed little tyke, I didn't know any better and just learned to do it. Caught a good number of fish as a tyke so didn't think twice. Plus, a little kid always wants to do what Dad is doing so didn't even think about changing. Seemed to come easy so never did change. I have tried the left handed reel but feel like a fish out of water using it..pardon the pun....

^---This. Dad was left handed. Did what he did.

Many years back, I was paired up with a partner on an FLW event on DL. We were sitting in the marina and I asked him which hand he reeled with. He said, 'do I look f...ing retarded.....my left hand of course.' I said, I reel with my right hand and proceeded to change over a couple of my reels for him. It got pretty quiet after that until the fish started to bite.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cast right, reel right, hook set right and net right. Left holds rod when right is busy.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast right (correct), reel correct, net correct, set hook with my left arm.

One finger salute ambidextrously.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started with an old Zebco like many people but then didn't fish for almost 40 years so relearned on left handed spinning reels. Bought a couple of line counters and felt bass-ackwards so only use them for bottom bouncing. Bought a Black Max Abu Garcia last fall and they had a left handed version so I got it. Feels much handier and more natural after using spinning reels for the last few years. Now, if I can just learn how to cast with it. #$%^&>

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a Black Max Abu Garcia last fall. Now, if I can just learn how to cast with it. #$%^&>

Start with the wind at your back and a fairly heavy bait, turn the brake to the point where the lure will just barely fall when you click the release. Turn up the magnet. Your casts will be fairly short but it will allow you to "educate your thumb" without the corresponding birds-nest between every cast. As you get better, turn the magnet down. As you betterer, back off the brake. Soon, you'll be bombing casts with ease. The 1st day you have to pitch into the wind with a lighter bait reality will punch you in the teeth though.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning is always left. Bait caster is right, but I can handle the left no problem. Trying to go right on the spinning is uber awkward for me. Cant figure out why, but I would guess with practice and patience, one could be pretty ambidextrous.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84