Why do you reel left and right handed?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I reel spinning with my left and baitcasters with my right, don't know why though.

That guy

Honored Member
I reel with my left cast with my right. I fish a lot by myself or with people incapable of netting a fish which I also use with my left hand and use my rut hand for better control of the rod. So used to it I reel with my left hand ice fishing also.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would prefer baitcasters with left hand reels as well. it just makes sense in my mind. cast, control the line, control the rod, etc... all with the same right hand and the left is there just to reel.
I can do baitcast rods either was but prefer it on my he left like my spinning reels. Never realized this preference until I bought a left hand baitcast reel. Old habits die hard!

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can do either, but prefer to reel with my left and cast with my right. It's like a baseball glove on your left hand and throwing with your right hand or vice versa if you're a southpaw.

Those that pitch with their right and reel with their right (doesn't apply to trollers) are very inefficient fishers. It's only a second or two wasted switching back and forth between casts, but throw 1,000 times a day and that's about 17 less minutes of fishing per day. Maybe you're pitching a jig or countdown and you need a few seconds of drop time and that doesn't eat up the strike zone clock as much. But you may be late in a hookset during the switcheroo and miss a bite.

Same thing for a tiller guy who drives the boat and operates the rod with a left hand; it's inefficient passing the rods back and forth.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whilst fishing with spinning reels, i reel with left hand. After learning and doing it for a million years, i am not changing. I am sure the folks that reel with their right hand prefer their method also. To each their own. I am sure there is more pressing coffee shop banter...such as..do you grill burgers with a left hand spatula or right hand spatula?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
With spinning reel, I cast right, reel left. With baitcaster I reel right but can cast with either hand because I broke my left thumb a week before a week long fishing trip to Lac Seul and there was no way I wasn’t going.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66