Starting Battery

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like I'm going to need a new starting battery. plugged in my HDS to make sure everything was working right before hitting the lake and the screen went nuts. kept flashing and rebooting. I checked all connections and they all looked good. I took my HDS to scheeles and put it on their display stand and it worked great. Talked with their electric guy and we came to the conclusion that i need a new starting battery. They have Interstates in stock but ive had problems with interstate starting batterys.
What brand of batteries are you guys running? and would a duel purpose battery be better for starting my boat ( 115 Johnson 4 stroke) and running my electronics( HDS 5 and a Elite 5 up front)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still have a Walmart cranking battery in the boat. My old menards one is my backup.

hookemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to always use intestate now I only use crown they are far superior.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
is the duel purpose battery any better that just a starting battery

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 4 years on my current interstate cranking battery. I use 2 locators, and always have the radio on, usually a livewell running sometimes both. twice I have had to start the kicker motor to put enough juice back into the battery to get the big motor started.

I have no complaints with interstate.

My trolling batteries are not interstate, they are whatever brand my boat mechanic carries, they have been fairly good too.

I think a battery is only as good as how well you take care of them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm up to 15 total 12V batteries for vehicles, UTV, tractors, etc, etc. Seems like I replace about 3 a year, latest was my boat's starting battery which I replaced with an Interstate marine starting battery (t'was what was already in there but I got 5 or 6 yrs out of it).

Only thing I am convinced of is they all go bad eventually and at this point I just shut up and grab whatever the heck is available.

Mostly I run interstates on replacement, but have a couple Exide from Walmart and even a NAPA battery.

My frigging Kipor generator and JD tractor are the two that annoy me the most, I absolutely HAVE to buy their batteries due to fit.

Agame24

I've been having mix luck with Interstate lately, I switched to Durastart batteries from Runnings and have had good luck with them last two years. They're not over priced and will run the boat over 8 hours easily.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run my depth finder off ONE of my deep cycle batteries that power my electric trolling motor. Just don't hook it up to the whole 24V circuit.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnson controls makes batteries for interstate, Napa, Walmart, optima, and more that I can't think of right now. I've had horrible luck with interstate the last few years and not sure why. I buy Napa batteries now cause they are a lot cheaper than interstate or Walmart batteries now and why pay for the name when it's the same battery. Going on 3 years with napa deep cycles without an issue. With interstate I couldn't get a full two seasons. Don't ask me why, I charge after every use and plug in once a month in the winter.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be year 10 on my Interstate trolling batteries. You guys are making me nervous. I suppose I don't really use them really hard. They get used in the spring and fall. I rarely need to recharge them in July and August. The water gets topped off every fall and I try to hit them with the trickle charger a few times during the winter.

I also have an interstate starting battery. That is on year 3. So far so good. It also runs all of my electronics. That may have to change. I have had problems with it keeping up. It seems to be a little intermittent. I don't have the on board charger hooked up to this one. I wish I would have got a three bank charger, but at the time, I didn't think it was necessary. Maybe I should just add another battery for the electronics. I always know when the starting / electronis battery is getting a little low. If I don't dim the screen on my Lowrance while starting the engine, the depth finder shuts off. I don't have that problem when I throw a charger on starting battery once a day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33