Stupid really isn't an excuse

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A professional doesn't know or understand the rules? BS. I've hunted in a few provinces and states. It's pretty clear that it is the responsibility of the hunter or fisherman to know the rules where they are fishing or hunting.
For example: Party hunting is allowed in some areas, not in ND. Another example: Up until recently (either this year or last) on Lake Winnipeg you could keep one big walleye, over 30" I think was the rule, per year. Now none are allowed at all.
Know the rules is everyone's responsibility right down to how much meat are you required to process for each animal..

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read that earlier today, STUPID. That's too many mistakes to just say "I didn't know the rules were different, where I'm from you can do that".
A. He just isn't very bright overall
B. Knew what he was doing is wrong but ballsy enough to think no one would figure it out
C. Just ignorant thinking there is no need to look into the local regulations for the hunting area

As far as I'm concerned he has no excuse for what he did, he tried to cheat the system and got caught.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to take a buddy with to ice fish lake Winnipeg this year, he had a DUI back in '04

Is this still an issue needing a note from the now king?

Or can we boogie right on in like it should be?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to take a buddy with to ice fish lake Winnipeg this year, he had a DUI back in '04

I had heard it was a 10 yr waiting/ penalty period. Not sure if still stands.
Probably best calling the border patrol where you plan on xing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if you just pay them enough they let you in.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a friend go through this. Pretty sure it was 7 years for him. He even owned a lake home 15 miles north of the border. His wife could go up, but not him. Easiest answer is to contact the Canadian Customs or maybe even look for info on your computer

20 years ago I would guess will be no problem.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's 10 years after your probation period ended. Also, it is up to the complete discretion of the agent you are dealing with. I had zero problems from 2011-2019, was always honest when we were pulled in. Then I got the wrong one on a bad day, she made me sign off that if i attempted to ever cross again (without a pardon from a Canadian Consulate) that I would immediately be arrested. They can issue a temporary residency, cost 8 years ago was around $200.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's 10 years after your probation period ended. Also, it is up to the complete discretion of the agent you are dealing with. I had zero problems from 2011-2019, was always honest when we were pulled in. Then I got the wrong one on a bad day, she made me sign off that if i attempted to ever cross again (without a pardon from a Canadian Consulate) that I would immediately be arrested. They can issue a temporary residency, cost 8 years ago was around $200.
So his now 20 year old conviction should be just fine, for the most part?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup should be good can call as mentioned to port you are crossing. All my years they can be a-holes even if you aren't. welcome to Canada A.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It happens every year at north Portal, Sask., people going up to hunt and get turned back, I have a friend that owned a Cabin up at Carlyle Sask. I bet it was 20 years before he got caught for his DUI, as far as Real ID it not a good way, make sure you bring your passport

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The people on the Canadian side are good in our area, it's the PRO'S on the US side that cause the trouble

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
So his now 20 year old conviction should be just fine, for the most part?
Should be. Keep note, they treat some offenses up there differently than we do. If your buddy has anything else on his record, like failure to appear, excessive speeding, driving without proof of insurance...all are ammo for them to use as proof said person that got a DUI is a repeat offender and can't be trusted in their country....Forkin Cork Soakers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26