Sump pumps/pits, discharge hoses, etc.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well timed Guy. I live in GF so thanks for the extra water......I have a shelf in my garage that has new pumps, old pumps, pump parts, etc. Amazing how the seasonal scaling monkeys with the float switches.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
flooding and ground water are two different things. In Bismarck drain tile and sump pit are required by code in all new residential buildings, I believe this started in the 80's . I have witnessed more houses built on high ground in Bismarck that have ground water issues than I have seen houses in the low areas with ground water issues. The ones built on a hill or cut into a hill have to deal with clay and the water will follow the top of the clay instead of soaking in. The area NW of Century and Washington street are a good example of this. We built a building on Calgary N. of Menards which was supposed to have a full basement. During excavation we opened what I call an underground river as you could see the water flowing through on top of the clay layer. We ended up filling the area up with washed sand and the building ended up with a crawl space. To this day anytime I am at that business you can hear the underground water running into the parking lot storm sewer.
I believe it the summer of 93 when that area really took a hit. East bismarck north Divide is another one. I worked on a few unexpected remodels later that year. I understand it’s lots of fun hauling five gallon buckets of concrete up basement stairs.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Honeywell Lyric which connects to wifi to provide email alerts and anytime access to temp and humidity status through the app. I hung the leak sensor just above the pump in the sump hole so I'll get an alert if water ever rises above the pump. Also have a low temp alert set as another warning if heat goes out while away.
Screenshot_20230329-140121_Resideo.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it the summer of 93 when that area really took a hit. East bismarck north Divide is another one. I worked on a few unexpected remodels later that year. I understand it’s lots of fun hauling five gallon buckets of concrete up basement stairs.
Galwhofishes and I installed our own interior drain tile (cut the slots with cement saw (duct is for the exhaust of that gas saw), jackhammered the slab into chunks, hauled that out, hauled the trench clay out, installed drain piping, added a monster pit on one end (arrrrg), hauled all the pea rock down, all the cement, yadda.

We had received bids - but it was like a year's wait and $10k (a lot in 2011).

I couldn't do that today but it's been dry/manageable since. Glad we did it!
299303_2267163752213_1916054092_n.jpg

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI, I replaced our 3/4 HP commerical waste water pump for the septic system in 2018. Reciept shows $707. That pump recently started drawing to many amps and tripping my thermal breaker in the control panel, so I looked up a new pump this moring, .....$1,550! ouch...........
Shit is expensive. Literally :rolleyes:

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Galwhofishes and I installed our own interior drain tile (cut the slots with cement saw (duct is for the exhaust of that gas saw), jackhammered the slab into chunks, hauled that out, hauled the trench clay out, installed drain piping, added a monster pit on one end (arrrrg), hauled all the pea rock down, all the cement, yadda.

We had received bids - but it was like a year's wait and $10k (a lot in 2011).

I couldn't do that today but it's been dry/manageable since. Glad we did it!
299303_2267163752213_1916054092_n.jpg
#Guywhothinks instead of just using his head for a hat rack. (y)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
would it have been easier to do this project on the outside of the house?
Dig around the outside, put in the pipe, then buried it all?

Glad to be in a dry neighborhood, with zero need for this stuff. Also eliminates 97% of mosquito issues throughout the summer.

Good luck my eastern friends

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
New spare pump @ the ready. 12V backup plumbed in-line w/main 120V pump. New deep-cycle battery to power the backup.

I've got plenty of sump-hose new in the package.

Worst case scenario, the most valuable piece of flood mitigation equipment I have is a manual slice-valve for the sewer line.

Fresh/ground-water is tolerable to have to remodel from. Sewer backup, sell the SOB and start over, I'm not going back in for diddly-squat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
BE384E49-B80B-467F-9480-F2905CEE799A.png

Things are flowing here - it’s been modest pump cycling at my house.

Here’s my sump pit water level the last 24 hrs.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I googled your graph to figure it out and it brought me right back to NDA so here goes. I think I get the on-off cycles but do you have it converted to GPH ?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s a rough estimate of sump pit capacity. “40% full” give or take. Sump kicks in and drops level on occasion. Gives one an idea of how much groundwater is coming in and how hard the pump is working (duty cycle). It would be straightforward to measure one pump cycle’s output and then get idea of total gallons moved each day but I’m not gonna geek out on it. I do that enough at work. Ha.

It’s a Level Sense Pro. The WIFI has been a drag due to my ancient router but it’s functional. Has alarms, sends texts, etc. Has other sensors too that their app shows you, or log onto the web site.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sump in the basement just started trickling on sunday.

Sump in the low point of the backyard normally pushes water out to the curb, during wet seasons, heavy rain, etc. That underground line is blown out in fall, and capped on the high end (street).

6 ft of snow and ice on my curb all winter. It's sunk down, but I can't get to that line to remove the cap, so ran a garden hose over the grass and snow, connected to sump and pump in the back yard. Pushes up only a couple of feet in elevation, but it's 150 ft long. Ran 24 hours straight, with no noticeable drop in the lake in my back yard.

Last night bought 150 lin ft of 1.25" black corrugated hose. Couple hours later, the lake was gone. Ran off and on all night. I finally got ahead of it!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sump in the basement just started trickling on sunday.

Sump in the low point of the backyard normally pushes water out to the curb, during wet seasons, heavy rain, etc. That underground line is blown out in fall, and capped on the high end (street).

6 ft of snow and ice on my curb all winter. It's sunk down, but I can't get to that line to remove the cap, so ran a garden hose over the grass and snow, connected to sump and pump in the back yard. Pushes up only a couple of feet in elevation, but it's 150 ft long. Ran 24 hours straight, with no noticeable drop in the lake in my back yard.

Last night bought 150 lin ft of 1.25" black corrugated hose. Couple hours later, the lake was gone. Ran off and on all night. I finally got ahead of it!
Night and day difference compared to the garden hose, past experience.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a 120’ siphon going using water hose to remove water from my backyard. Been running non-stop for 48 hours.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14