Tailrace

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody have any reports for the tailrace? I'm feeling curious to try some jigging raps from the wingwalls. I don't have very much experience fishing there.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the life of me I believe these things were conjured for my torment. I've stuck exactly 11,014 and landed exactly two. Quit (I don't give green damn!!!) wasting time in '01; ice and wingwalls: How the fuck do you people keep a damn fish hooked up?!! I'm guessing a noodle rod and mono.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
For the life of me I believe these things were conjured for my torment. I've stuck exactly 11,014 and landed exactly two. Quit (I don't give green damn!!!) wasting time in '01; ice and wingwalls: How the fuck do you people keep a damn fish hooked up?!! I'm guessing a noodle rod and mono.
7' medium x-fast rod, for me. Braid with a 10' mono leader.
An ML rod would probably hold a fish on better, but I like the hookset of the M.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
@svnmag If your fish fighting matches your posts on this site, you are probably horsing the shit out of the fish and trying to bull dog them in like a bass master would. Those tiny little hooks on jigging raps require more finesse, patience and gentleness 😉

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. by "no" I meant I match the fight to the tackle. I'm not some bimbo with gorgeous tits.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
For what it's worth, 90% of the jigging raps I have lost in my life have been lost at the Tailrace.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of jigging raps, but as a shore fisherman, I don't even bother trying them around all those rocks. Might as well toss actual currency in the water, and punch myself in the face.

I was up there saturday night. By the time I left, I was the only soul there. Enjoyed myself immensely, catching a variety of fish. By variety, I mean various sized catfish.

I missed a few, but landed most of the fish I hooked. All on cranks. Most on one single crank. Not a jigging rap.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of jigging raps, but as a shore fisherman, I don't even bother trying them around all those rocks. Might as well toss actual currency in the water, and punch myself in the face.

I was up there saturday night. By the time I left, I was the only soul there. Enjoyed myself immensely, catching a variety of fish. By variety, I mean various sized catfish.

I missed a few, but landed most of the fish I hooked. All on cranks. Most on one single crank. Not a jigging rap.

This made me laugh. Thanks JK.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member

Haha! On Sunday afternoon I caught a few small sauger off the walls with a jigging rap. I didn't even get snagged up once.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha! On Sunday afternoon I caught a few small sauger off the walls with a jigging rap. I didn't even get snagged up once.
I should note that I wasn't fishing off the walls, but rather on the rock embankments. I think I could fish off the walls and not get snagged. Maybe.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't catch any or see any caught.
Me neither. Nor did I catch any carp, or pike, or drum. Didn't see a single paddlefish either. No browns or rainbows, or sauger either.

There was some smelt coming through, and for some reason, quite a few whitefish floating along, stunned. I would have thought someone upstream from me was catching the crap out of them, but there was nobody north of me. I also would have thought maybe I was seeing the same fish over and over, but at one point I could see three of them floating along. I guess they came through the powerhouse?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are lucky to have not snagged a paddlefish. Jigging raps are pretty safe off the wing walls unless you cast towards the rocks. Otherwise you don’t snag up too bad in the wing walls. But also if you are not snagging up I have learned you are not catching much either.

I’d be fishing the rocks with a white floating crank or the wing walls with a jig and minner

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88