Tangy Summer Sausage Recipes

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest problem with ss is getting it the same consitency of store bought stuff.. It always seems like its not packed as tight and more crumbly when cutting. Anyone have a remody. I usuallly make it by myself which could be the problem on not stuffing it tight enough ,,

TFX 186.. The seasoning store you speak of,,where is it located ?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest problem with ss is getting it the same consitency of store bought stuff.. It always seems like its not packed as tight and more crumbly when cutting. Anyone have a remody. I usuallly make it by myself which could be the problem on not stuffing it tight enough ,,

TFX 186.. The seasoning store you speak of,,where is it located ?

More fat, grind twice, using a smaller plate the second time.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Scrot,
Valley Meats in Minot.
I should know the lady's name because I go in there very often. They are very helpful and have a very good selection. If you have questions, just ask away. Also, share your good findings with them also as the lady seams to remember discussions and good things that sausage makers point out. She mentioned to me that if I like the buck bacon to try the same seasoning in my summer sausage. I had always wanted to try summer sausage and she helped me get going. Hope this helps.

Fish On!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
More fat, grind twice, using a smaller plate the second time.

we go lean and tight with minimal added water. Stuff the casings as tight as possible without breaking.
Soak the casing in water to make them pliable and when stuffing I fill them until a little of the meat oozes out the tiny holes in the casings. We put an extra long handle on the stuffer to make it a little easier on the guy on the crank.

campchef

Honored Member
OK, I'm not about to "dis" a legitimate business but if You guys are content or satisfied with "tangy" sausage? OK, no harm, no foul. But there is a bigger and better world out there and people kill for family recipes.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest I was looking for better sausage when I found cloverdale and that didn't stop me. I think variety is the answer, I made some snack sticks a couple days ago and thought they were the best ever but after munching on a few I am glad it was a small batch.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, maybe you are making good stuff, but are just eating to much tasting it. Are you getting the meat sweats?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I'm not about to "dis" a legitimate business but if You guys are content or satisfied with "tangy" sausage? OK, no harm, no foul. But there is a bigger and better world out there and people kill for family recipes.

Meh. I've had hundreds of different SS in my life from store bought, homemade and locker plant. Cloverdale tangy is the one for me.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, maybe you are making good stuff, but are just eating to much tasting it. Are you getting the meat sweats?[/QUOTE]

Yes , Usually about 3 times a week, More if I'm lucky. :;:cheers Seriously though your right , I do to much of my own test tasting and after a while you lose touch with your taste buds. Going to set up an official taste test with a vote sheet during Thanksgiving and go with the majority's opinion.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh. I've had hundreds of different SS in my life from store bought, homemade and locker plant. Cloverdale tangy is the one for me.

yup - why fight it if you like it... let them make a buck with a great developed recipe...

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
so now i know what is causing the heartburn after eating Cloverdale Tangy. ECA yuck!!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scrot,
Valley Meats in Minot.
I should know the lady's name because I go in there very often. They are very helpful and have a very good selection. If you have questions, just ask away. Also, share your good findings with them also as the lady seams to remember discussions and good things that sausage makers point out. She mentioned to me that if I like the buck bacon to try the same seasoning in my summer sausage. I had always wanted to try summer sausage and she helped me get going. Hope this helps.

Fish On!

That would be Betty. Her and Loren have been in there forever! Lots of knowledge there for sure. The meat shop is pretty awesome too!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88