Thoughts on Generators

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda all the way. Although I have been on the powered end of MM's Yamaha and I couldn't tell the difference in power.

When you run them in the winter, make sure to keep the crankcase breather open and free of ice. Otherwise you will pull gas into the oil and it will not run. The EU series Honda's are better for this because everything is enclosed so no snow or ice can get in there. Kipor went out of business (I heard) because they infringed on Honda's patent. They were a bit louder than the EU Honda's. Whatever you buy, please get a quiet one. The rest of us on the ice and in the campground will thank you.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blaring Hondas?
any man made sound made in the middle of a calm night while out camping is considered "blaring" IMO

but I sure hope they are all snug in bed a cozy 68 degree camper. and the coffee pot automatically kicks on a 6am to brew their cup of joe, they'll drink while watching Fox news in morning on the 50" flat screen in the 3 slide out living room before the kids get up and turn on the X-box all day.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering if you run a generator next to your ice house if the fish bite better because you see it all the time personally I move as far away from that s**t as I can.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I ever buy a permanent ice shelter it should have a loud pirate-repelling generator?

- - - Updated - - -

I even get tired of my vex noise after a while. Really tired some days.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The camp grounds I frequent have quiet hours from 11pm to 6am. I enjoy a nice cool camper on a 100 degree July day, I like to wash dishes in a sink, take a hot shower, turn on the tube if its a rainy/windy day, have my food in a refrigerator rather than soggy cooler, etc. Sorry that is a bur under some guys saddle. I also like to shut the door on my bedroom when mrs johnr is feeling frisky.

I tent camped for many years, I would likely only camp a time or two a summer if that was all that was allowed, but its not, so stay calm and camp on.

some guys use tractors to put the crops in now, but we know a horse and blisters was the original, so using a tractor must mean farmers suck....ahaha :;:

:;:howdy

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
The camp grounds I frequent have quiet hours from 11pm to 6am. I enjoy a nice cool camper on a 100 degree July day, I like to wash dishes in a sink, take a hot shower, turn on the tube if its a rainy/windy day, have my food in a refrigerator rather than soggy cooler, etc. Sorry that is a bur under some guys saddle. I also like to shut the door on my bedroom when mrs johnr is feeling frisky.

I tent camped for many years, I would likely only camp a time or two a summer if that was all that was allowed, but its not, so stay calm and camp on.

some guys use tractors to put the crops in now, but we know a horse and blisters was the original, so using a tractor must mean farmers suck....ahaha :;:

:;:howdy

I'm just glad you do it in a modern "campground". I just get a kick out it being called camping by a majority of people who wouldnt be caught dead living in trailer park, but instead spend every weekend vacationing in one. Glamp on my friend. :)

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing I can't run on my 1972 Avion travel trailer without electricity is the AC and furnace, all else is propane and battery. I had it plugged into the generator one time in about 10 years and it was due to knowing we were in primitive camping at Sak state park on a very hot holiday weekend and knowing everyone in the place was going to have a gen running as well which was exactly the case.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a Craftsman 5600 about 10 years ago, it will power everything in my camper at once, and even run a second camper (not both AC units at once though).
I was on the low income side of things and could not put together $1500 for the 3000 Honda, so I pulled together $500 for the sears one. It absolutely works great, but you might as well pack along some ear muffs as it puts out 1,000,000 decibel's...haha
We plug in when camping now, and I don't own an ice castle, but someday when I do the Honda will be purchased with it.
My fishing partner who does have a fishhouse uses a 2000 Honda, it is quiet, it powers everything, and it is super easy to start.

I have this same gennie. Starts well, runs well, puts out more than I need.

It will loosen your molars, but hey...

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question? Planning on running rope lights in my portable ice House. Will I need a generator or could I hook them up to a battery? If generator is needed, how big? The cheaper the better. I also understand you get what you pay for. Thanks.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every in our group has Hondas, 5 of us now, and one has a Yamaha. All are quiet and you need 3000w to run ac units. Noise is horse apiece between the 2. Yamaha is more money. What sold me on Honda is the 3 year unlimited hour warranty. The champion generators are also an exceptional buy. Check out Weiss sales online. For me it's a Honda 3000 with electric start. Put it in the truck i
end of April and I just removed it last week. 3 years with the Honda and no issues.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question? Planning on running rope lights in my portable ice House. Will I need a generator or could I hook them up to a battery? If generator is needed, how big? The cheaper the better. I also understand you get what you pay for. Thanks.
I run LED rope lights on my trap with an extra vexilar battery. I don't fish all night but it easily gets me 2-3 hours each trip. I've never ran it them til the battery died so I couldnt tell you exactly how long they last.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a propane lantern, it provides lots of light, and is also a heat source if needed.
Works great to run to a flag up too, if its dusk out

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of getting a portable light station though, so I could use my craftsman 5600 generator on the ice all day and night, would be pretty cool

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I worry they may convert to Islam.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I worry they may convert to Islam.

Generators? or the folks using them?

I was also thinking blue is a neat color for most applications. Sometimes when the blue is pastel I feel less optimistic.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a propane lantern, it provides lots of light, and is also a heat source if needed.
Works great to run to a flag up too, if its dusk out

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of getting a portable light station though, so I could use my craftsman 5600 generator on the ice all day and night, would be pretty cool

I use a lantern now, but its something else I'd have to watch so the kids don't burn themselves along with the heater. That's why I was thinking the rope lights would be the ticket.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51