Ticks~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Came across an interesting article...

For Those Interested..
Ticks are an epidemic this year, and these things are as lethal as a venomous snake in the wrong scenario! Use a lint roller right after being in the woods or on a brush walk.. for humans & pets: Please not only read it, but share it! Make sure we get the word out about these tics and the disease they carry!
Summer is around the corner! Time for camping, hiking and getting outside to play. Don't let those pesky annoying ticks stop you. Here's how with a simple homemade solution!
Repellent for your pets:
For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).
To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.
For you and your family:
In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.
After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ooop's

Last edited:

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure Permethrin is better than any home remedy out there...I've been in the woods a dozen times this year and have had 1 attached tick....

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the permethren. Buy a jug of horse spray at tsc with permethren and spray down a clothing set to be used for field activities only. Let it dry for a couple hours and then enjoy the woods tick free

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree,but you do realize how toxic prem is don't you? This is a safe alternative for us and our pets,I hate using fronline but the shit works but tuff on my pup,vet at the UofM told me they don't endorse any of the topical treatments for pets,he said just think how toxic this stuff is that it kills for a minimum of 30days,got me thinking after my last two retreivers went down early in life with internal cancer.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I have found 4 ticks on my dog in the last week. Sort of concerned. Last two were relatively full. I can only assume deer Ticks. For some reason, I am only finding them on the Boykin and not the springer. But, that's neither here nor there. So, should I be more concerned with Ticks this late than other times?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of odd to be dealing with ticks this late in the year isn't it?

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not odd at all. This is the time of year when deer ticks are the worst. The only thing that seems to put an end to it is a good snow cover.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like they are well established in Eastern ND. I found this article from 2014.

https://entomologytoday.org/2014/09/04/ticks-that-vector-lyme-disease-move-west-into-north-dakota/

deer ticks - ND.jpg

Ixodes scapularis (deer ticks) look like they have made a lot of inroads into eastern ND. They'll be in the whole state before long. Our property about 100 miles East of the ND/MN border had none about 10 years ago. They are way worse than regular ticks now. Regular ticks are bad for a short time in spring and early summer. Deer ticks seem to peak twice. They are bad in the spring and they are awful in the fall. Our dogs collect a lot of them looking for ruffed grouse this time of year.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah,late summer is a bitch for both Dog Ticks and black legged(deer ticks),this fall my pup is picking up Dog tick nymphs as well,they always come out in mid sept and stay until a good freeze,we get them in areas with a lot of fir tree's including cedar trees as they retain heat.Areas like this is crawling with ticks in the fall.

168.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we live in the lake region. but, were out west of watford city 2 weeks ago. i assume he got them around home.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84