Trailer guides question

defiant1

Honored Member
Please see attached picture. The trailer has the trailer guides in the rear and the guide rollers in front of the tires. Does this set up make sense. I just bought the boat and have not had a chance to launch or retrieve it with this setup. It is a bunk trailer so I understand the need for the guides, but I am not sure the roller guides actually do anything other than dent the aluminum hull if loading the boat crooked due to current/wind.

Thoughts? Who else has a similar set up or a better way of doing things?

d1

Attachments

monark2.2.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of my boats have trailers with bunks and rear guides. Neither have the front roller guides like you have. My experience with bunk supports on boat trailers is if the boat is anywhere near straight on the trailer it settles in on the bunks in almost perfect alignment. I would think that your front rollers will keep the boat in a good alignment and help you to load the boat easier in wind/current conditions.

defiant1

Honored Member
Both of my boats have trailers with bunks and rear guides. Neither have the front roller guides like you have. My experience with bunk supports on boat trailers is if the boat is anywhere near straight on the trailer it settles in on the bunks in almost perfect alignment. I would think that your front rollers will keep the boat in a good alignment and help you to load the boat easier in wind/current conditions.

Sounds good. If you see me this summer on Metigoshe at the landing cursing the roller guides, please come over and remind me of this post.:D

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would leave them on but they are probably not needed. I have a roller trailer on my current boat and I hate it. Would love to have a bunk again. Just cant seen to find the sweet spot.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
God, I hate being on the wrong side of the lake when the wind comes in on the ramp something about the swells going two feet or more over trail then the trailer is not in far enough then two feet swells. when I go by myself always make sure which direction the wind is that day or if weather is going to change.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 143
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51