Training collars

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at an e-collar for my newer pooch - seeing all these new collars with GPS and wondering if that’s worth the extra money? I don’t really PLAN to have him roam like that, but never know with a young dog. Like all the options that the Garmin Alpha + Tri tronics collar offers, especially that you can add another collar, but is there another decent option, something I should look to. Really would like a collar that does vibrate, tone, and the stim - but I could probably be persuaded otherwise.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often wondered when i see pointers in the field and there are 2 or 3 antennas sticking off the dogs collars, then i saw how far there pointers worked ahead of them. I started training dogs before the collar craze and have never used one. I agree they are a good tool if used properly.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often wondered when i see pointers in the field and there are 2 or 3 antennas sticking off the dogs collars, then i saw how far there pointers worked ahead of them. I started training dogs before the collar craze and have never used one. I agree they are a good tool if used properly.

you obviously don’t own a female named Karen. Good choice

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We never had to shock more than 3 times total with our Labs. After that we just would tone or viberate or both and that was all it took. If it was even needed. Different breeds need different training.
Saw far too many people with shock collars that would just fry their dog. Felt sorry for the dog as it ended up not knowing what in the heck the owner wanted them to do. Don't get carried away with shocking and you don't have to fry them when using the shock part.
We used Tri-tronics and liked them and they worked excellent for us.
Good luck!

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tri tonics also is what we had for our lab. As BBJ stated, I don't think we had to actually shock her more than twice. Just toner as she knew what "would" be next if didn't obey.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
The key to the collar is to be sure the dog fully understands the commands before you introduce the collar. Don't use the collar to teach the commands. Make sure they fully know come, sit, stay, fetch, heal etc. Then the collar is only used to reinforce. I agree with all of the above - my dog has been actually shocked three times in his 18 months - twice to get him to stop chasing a jack rabbit. I use the shock feature only as the long arm of the law. The 99% of the time it is tone and vibrate.

My $.02

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya the dog should definitely be collar conditioned after you get through force fetch. It’s used to enforce not teach

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of dog

Pointing lab

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I understand that the collar is just reinforcement not to teach. He was 10 months before even being introduced to a collar. Also, my goal is to utilize the vibrate and tone functions as the cue to return - not really interested in shocking my dog unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I’m mostly looking for info in brands and experience with a GPS function, not necessarily how to use the collar. Thanks.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pointing lab

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I understand that the collar is just reinforcement not to teach. He was 10 months before even being introduced to a collar. Also, my goal is to utilize the vibrate and tone functions as the cue to return - not really interested in shocking my dog unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I’m mostly looking for info in brands and experience with a GPS function, not necessarily how to use the collar. Thanks.

I have the garmin 550 sport it works well I like the lights . Since you don’t have a big runner I see no need for gps. Only time I have used tone or vibrate is to make sure collar is on. Not a single trainer I have met that uses either function while training dogs. I recall with either a whistle or here command. I would look at Freddy kings retriever program it’s best 60 bucks you could spend if you want a solid gun dog.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tritronics I believe was bought out by Garmin several years ago so you may not find much under their name anymore. I have a tritronics sport G3 that is on year 12 and has been bulletproof. Got a Garmin delta XC for my younger dog and no problems with it, it's about as inexpensive as they come. https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin...MIjZqFtc388QIV6B-tBh29QAsjEAAYASAAEgLiZ_D_BwE

I'll be the one to admit my labs get a nick pretty frequently when we're chasing pheasants.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had good results with Sport Dog. The controller is small & a 3/4 mile range. I have GWPs and the collars have tone, vibrate, juice and a horn/beeper. If dog is in thick cattails the horn is nice to just pop a couple times to locate the dog on point. I never use it on continuous setting. I have used the high setting of juice for trash, coons, skunks, porkies, deer. It was easy to break the dogs of deer, coons & skunks seem almost impossible with these 2 mutts. For reinforcement all you need is a nick on low. Sport Dog has excellent service too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76