Transducer Placement

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I installed a new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI. Love it! I am not able to get it to read sonar/dsi at decent speeds. It cuts out at about 20 mph. Any tips or tricks on where to put the transducer so that it will read sonar/dsi at higher speeds? I currently have mine, when looking from the rear, on the right side, probably a foot to the right of the prop edge.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to bump up the read out speed in the graph itself or move it closer to the midline of the boat. I typically don't get a good picture of di/sonar/si when up to cruising speed.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'll try to up the read out speed 1st, and see how that goes. thanks for the tip.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any turbulence will affect your skimmer's ability to do its job. Mount location cannot line up with rivets or ribs in the hull.

My skimmer reads depth at 60 + MPH its all about a smooth transition from the hull to the reading surface of the transducer.

It is critical that the flat surface of the transducer that the crystal sends its signal through has to ( COUPLE ) with the surface of the water.

Also when looking at the transom from the rear of the boat you are better off mounting transducers on the RIGHT side of the prop to minimize the turbulence from the prop rotation.

It is very worth your time to research what degree cone your transducer has to better understand what size your cone area is at different depths.

Korey Sprengal searches for fish at 35MPH with his 2D sonar for what its worth.

Attachments

173C98E2-0153-4A88-80EA-7FE8BA7CAD28.jpg

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any turbulence will affect your skimmer's ability to do its job. Mount location cannot line up with rivets or ribs in the hull.

My skimmer reads depth at 60 + MPH its all about a smooth transition from the hull to the reading surface of the transducer.

It is critical that the flat surface of the transducer that the crystal sends its signal through has to ( COUPLE ) with the surface of the water.

Also when looking at the transom from the rear of the boat you are better off mounting transducers on the RIGHT side of the prop to minimize the turbulence from the prop rotation.

It is very worth your time to research what degree cone your transducer has to better understand what size your cone area is at different depths.

Korey Sprengal searches for fish at 35MPH with his 2D sonar for what its worth.

This. You want to use some type of a strait edge like a level to make sure you get the bottom of the transducer spot on with the water skimming from under the hull. My bet is you need to drop it down a little deeper.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Thanks for the tips. Im going to do sone fine tuning tonight. Hopefully have it nailed within a couple trips out.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tips. Im going to do sone fine tuning tonight. Hopefully have it nailed within a couple trips out.

It can be a little tricky, especially if you have a "V" hull because obviously the transducer has to be level to the ground, not level to the bottom of the boat.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get goofy results sometimes. Usually when I'm heading down stream. My depth will bounce around for a few seconds then maintain over 100' of water until I slow down and it gets covered in water. Mounted on the port side right now but it might get switched. I'm also going to be rewiring (again) after the new motor goes on. Moving one battery to the front compartment for the bow mount, one in back for transom mount and radio. I think I'll keep my graph on my cranking battery. Maybe, unless you guys persuade me.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
make sure the tail end is tipped down slightly from the line of the bottom of the hull.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I get goofy results sometimes. Usually when I'm heading down stream. My depth will bounce around for a few seconds then maintain over 100' of water until I slow down and it gets covered in water. Mounted on the port side right now but it might get switched. I'm also going to be rewiring (again) after the new motor goes on. Moving one battery to the front compartment for the bow mount, one in back for transom mount and radio. I think I'll keep my graph on my cranking battery. Maybe, unless you guys persuade me.

I ran my graph last year, all year, on a seperate battery, that I never charged once. For what its worth I dont think the graphs use much power.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always ran my graph off starting battery with no issues. Just make sure you keep the contacts clean. Electronics don't like voltage drops from corroded ends.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
When using a level to mount a transducer, do you take into account how the boat sits in the water, ie. bow high, or listing to starboard depending where my fat butt is planted.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When using a level to mount a transducer, do you take into account how the boat sits in the water, ie. bow high, or listing to starboard depending where my fat butt is planted.

I mounted mine level when the boat is just floating. With that position I am able to get the exact depth while fishing and when under power with the bow up, I get a slightly foreword look so I can see those quick rises in depth or obstacles a bit sooner than if it was level while under power. That's just how I did mine.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always ran my graph off starting battery with no issues. Just make sure you keep the contacts clean. Electronics don't like voltage drops from corroded ends.

I'm guessing there's two other problems then. My radio drawing too much and/or my starting battering needed a replacement.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
take a good look at the angle of the transducer in relationship to the bottom of the boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76