transducer issue-question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a new lowrance graph in boat. (got new boat last fall) Has the large transducer for side/down imaging etc. Actually had a pro put it on because I had some other stuff done too. I mentioned how my old boat had a smaller graph to use for speed and depth because the big graph/ducer won't read when at fast speeds. The pro said wouldn't need it. He could align it just right where it wouldn't be an issue. Well took new boat out once last fall and of couse...it wouldn't read as soon as I got past 15mph. What are you guys doing to alleviate this issue? thanks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're going to need to have a thru-hull transducer installed. Fairly simple if you want to do it yourself.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
does that then connect to the graph simultaneously with current transducer? Also I have an aluminum boat. Can you do that?

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your guy doesn't sound like a pro. Transducer must be in the water to read, and have good clean flow without air bubbles when moving. That is why boats have glassed in thru hull or high speed skimmer transducers in addition to side imaging ducer.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems what I usually read is you want the imaging transducer to not read at plane in case you hit a log, etc. since that transducer is 300-400 to replace. I have a separate skimmer transducer for on plane readings. I'm a humminbird guy but there's a Y cable that both transducers hook into and then one plug into the graph, imagine Lowrance has something similar.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my hummingbird loses depth at speed, thinking my ducer is too low and plowing water at least thats what i came up with watching utube.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems what I usually read is you want the imaging transducer to not read at plane in case you hit a log, etc. since that transducer is 300-400 to replace. I have a separate skimmer transducer for on plane readings. I'm a humminbird guy but there's a Y cable that both transducers hook into and then one plug into the graph, imagine Lowrance has something similar.

The "pro" is from a boat dealership I'll leave nameless. But in talking to several others, from tech guys, sales, etc they say it just doesn't work. Need another skimmer and with lowrance you pretty much need to buy another graph to hook up. Like the hook 2 previously mentioned. Thanks for thoughts though...prob have to go this route.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is no transducer block, I would certainly put one on before you add another transducer. Since it is a new boat, you may change a few times over the years. Not so many holes drilled in the hull that way.

Last edited:

tbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it is a 3 in 1 it just needs to be lowered and leveled. It should work thats why they call it 3 in 1. But if it is a totalscan it won't. Lots of how to on you tube.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is no transducer block, I would certainly put one on before you add another transducer. Since it is a new boat, you may change a few times over the years. Not so many holes drilled in the hull that way.

yes I will do that. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If it is a 3 in 1 it just needs to be lowered and leveled. It should work thats why they call it 3 in 1. But if it is a totalscan it won't. Lots of how to on you tube.

thanks Ill check it out.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

I did the torpedo level, quarter method with my 3 in 1, and it made a huge difference.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think mine is GPS speed, it never disappears.

Might be wrong though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have the 3-in-1 that I installed myself. It reads pretty good up to about 40mph. I think that’s about all they are rated for.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
and with lowrance you pretty much need to buy another graph to hook up.

Not necessarily. The HDS units (gen 3, carbon and live) have input ports for separate sonar and side imaging. If graphs are networked, transducer data can be shared as well.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not necessarily. The HDS units (gen 3, carbon and live) have input ports for separate sonar and side imaging. If graphs are networked, transducer data can be shared as well.

I run two 9" hds gen 3 with two transducer out back one skimmer for fast speeds other total scan both hooked together can go into settings and pick the transducer I want on either normal do one each spilt as plotter. 9" up front on minnkota terrova.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only 1 the 3n1 on my carbon and have no issues with it reading. Have birds on the boat also without any issues with the new mega ducer either. Sounds like you need to lower it a bit and your problems will go away.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
s-l1600.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117