Transporting game/fish

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Transportation of canned wild game

Called the NDGF today to ask about how to transport canned(jar or can) pheasant and was told that you must consume (in this case pheasant) where you process it. I told the lady-(politely)that once it’s canned it‘s cooked and you should be able to transport the canned product. No dice. I asked her about transportation canned salmon that I can in Alaska, or a cooler of frozen halibut and she said she wouldn’t answer that question. I finally hung up on her when I told her the law has loopholes and she was snotty like a career government nipple sucker who wouldn’t know a can of pheasant from a can of dog shit. I understand rules, but does anyone talk to real people before they make them?

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
People like you turned common sense into needing a rule for every little thing. Pretty soon we will be MN. Common sense says if you bring a jar or two of canned fish, deer, or pheasant to your neighbor or kid go for it. if you are selling it or transporting large quantities, you probably already knew you were doing something wrong. I feel bad for the people that answer the phone at the G&F. I bet they get some doozies for questions and have to argue with slow people that think they are lawyers. Just go hunting or fishing. You will have zero worries if you obey the rules, use common sense, and have fun..

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
People like you turned common sense into needing a rule for every little thing. Pretty soon we will be MN. Common sense says if you bring a jar or two of canned fish, deer, or pheasant to your neighbor or kid go for it. if you are selling it or transporting large quantities, you probably already knew you were doing something wrong. I feel bad for the people that answer the phone at the G&F. I bet they get some doozies for questions and have to argue with slow people that think they are lawyers. Just go hunting or fishing. You will have zero worries if you obey the rules, use common sense, and have fun..
So what are the rules ?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
58201, I asked the question because I have someone borrowing my canner to process pheasant because it’s easier to transport and they were wondering if it’s legal or not. So smart guy, can I transport a 48 qt cooler of greyling(looks like walleye when frozen) caught in Alaska from say Devils lake to Wisconsin?

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don’t have enough pheasants around here to fill a sandwich bag so I have no idea.. but I think if they are out hunting and staying in a camper, they should leave a wing attached.. if they are processing at their house they shouldn’t have anything to worry about unless they were suspected of shooting to many and warranted a search by the warden.. most people have nothing to worry about but you do you..

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe we should make a law that all wild game must be processed and labeled by a licensed butcher.. that would be fun

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don’t have enough pheasants around here to fill a sandwich bag so I have no idea.. but I think if they are out hunting and staying in a camper, they should leave a wing attached.. if they are processing at their house they shouldn’t have anything to worry about unless they were suspected of shooting to many and warranted a search by the warden.. most people have nothing to worry about but you do you..
The question was transporting canned pheasant. you do know the definition of transporting don’t you ?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I asked her about deer and she said that once you process it you have the carcass tag , but I didn’t have her expand on different circumstances.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dont wear blaze orange or camo while traveling and you will be OK. But if you are in that one in a million stop just tell them its rabbit. No season, no limit and no license except small game I think. LB

Pheasant 54

★★★★ Legendary Member
I am particularly fond of the rule change last year on fish , so no fully splitting them at the fish cleaning station, you can take of lot of the blood line out but not all of it . So you get home and get to finish the job

Eatsleeptrap

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fk the rules. Why would anyone worry about that unless you got a truck load
This. You harvested it and did the processing. Do what you want with it. Should have asked her how many transport permits are issued so VFW's, or whatever civic organization, can host a wild game feed?
A warden could write a book of tickets.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On that type of functions warden's have to look the other way or get tared and feathered. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18