Trollmaster

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am considering getting a trollmaster setup for my 9.9

Anyone have recommendations? Currently I have trouble getting below 2.0 mph with my kicker. Hoping this system will help the issue.

Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running a trollmaster pro 2 on my last 2 boats both equipped with Yamaha 9.9s. I highly recommend them as it makes throttle control so much nicer. If you have questions or need help with the install I'm in minot.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the troll master on my boat, I have used it a few times in 6 years of owning it.
I don't crank bait more than once or twice a year.
It seems like it would sure be handy, but never put use to it.
I have the terrova 101lb thrust, and can get about 4 mph out of it if I want to run it that hard. I have pulled cranks with the troller before.
I would suggest if you have a drift sock and don't want to spend a bunch of extra money, just throw that out the back while trolling, it will slow you down, and you can just speed up your kicker if you are now going to slow.

However if you pull cranks a bunch it might be worth picking one up. I bought my boat when it was 3 months old and used by a guide, so he had it set up with all the extras that I likely wouldn't personally have bought.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my first boat with troll master and I love it. I use my kicker a lot for trolling cranks, but also boat control in windy conditions and it really helps you dial in, as well as change speeds easy when cranking. Worth it in my books.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer, has your kicker always had trouble getting below 2 mph? It may need an adjustment. I was breaking in my 9.9 today and got it down to 0.8 mph. Not sure what boat you have but unless it's a canoe you shouldn't have a problem getting it that slow. Just a thought.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the troll master on my boat, I have used it a few times in 6 years of owning it.
I don't crank bait more than once or twice a year.
It seems like it would sure be handy, but never put use to it.
I have the terrova 101lb thrust, and can get about 4 mph out of it if I want to run it that hard. I have pulled cranks with the troller before.
I would suggest if you have a drift sock and don't want to spend a bunch of extra money, just throw that out the back while trolling, it will slow you down, and you can just speed up your kicker if you are now going to slow.

However if you pull cranks a bunch it might be worth picking one up. I bought my boat when it was 3 months old and used by a guide, so he had it set up with all the extras that I likely wouldn't personally have bought.

So you want to sell it?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer, has your kicker always had trouble getting below 2 mph? It may need an adjustment. I was breaking in my 9.9 today and got it down to 0.8 mph. Not sure what boat you have but unless it's a canoe you shouldn't have a problem getting it that slow. Just a thought.

I agree. I have a T8 on the back of my skeeter wx1880 and it runs, in idle, about .8 to .9 mph. I also have a trollmaster and they are really the cats @$$!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I might need to play with the idle. But yeah, I run a 19' fiberglass Stratos. So keeping under 1 mph shouldn't be an issue.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a screw that adjusts the stop on your throttle. Just run the throttle a couple times to figure out the screw I am talking about, then common sense will prevail as to which screw it is. Just make sure that you dont set the idle too low. Maybe get it figured out and then adjust it next time you hit the water. At an in-gear idle you should be right around .9 mph.

Wishiniwasfishin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard on walleyecentral that the quality of the trollmaster has gone down hill a little bit. they have a huge post about Itroll and thats apparently the new latest and greatest dial throttle system for your kicker. A buddy of mine has itroll and he has been happy with it. i think it has a few more funtions like a hunt mode where it varies your speed automaticaly.

walleye94

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would definitely go with at least the Pro 2 if you go with a Trollmaster. I had the Pro 2 on my last boat and absolutely loved it. I let the dealer talk me into the Pro on my new boat because they didn't have the Pro 2 and I regret it every time I use it now. The Pro still works but does not have nearly the incremental throttle adjustment that the Pro 2 has. I find it much harder to dial into the exact speed I want with the Pro vs the Pro 2.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can afford an Itroll that's what you want. With hunt mode. They're the bomb. I'm going to try to get one here shortly.

eyecatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got an Itroll and it is nice. When I bought it trollmaster was having a lot of issues. Not sure if they got them figured out or not. Hunt mode takes some time to play with but once you get the hang of it, its nice.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love that itroll but for the money i will stick with my hand on the throttle haha.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
in all honesty you can do what your trollmaster does for nothing for the most part. when you crank lock your trolling motor going straight. Get a good moderate throttle setting and leave it there. Then throw down the bow mount electric and steer with that and you can speed up and slow down using your bow mount. works like a champ.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Trollmaster 2.0 and love it, the handful of times I have engaged the dial. That instant Idle button is fantastic. I remember so many days of having to hop to the back of the boat numerous times..... those days are gone!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75