Useful Stuff and Useless knowlege

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Random neat stuff. I filled my deer tag with this rifle last month (not full auto, of course.) Really incredible considering the US military figures the usable life of M4 barrels to be 5-8,000 rounds. I'm all about nitride/melonite treated barrels.

As a side, I wonder if any POF rifles were used to ventilate the San Bernardino terrorists or their getaway vehicle.

https://pof-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AfterActionReport_addendum12-14.pdf

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Open the above link. Good shi'ite

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short version: After putting 67,000 rounds through a full auto rifle (and NO cleaning or maintanence) 14.5" barrel 308, it still put up an average 100 yd group of 1.12". The sherrif's department finally gave up on testing after they ran out of money for ammo. This is also why I love gas piston rifles instead of direct impingement.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd appreciate if you'd explain the difference for the other folks...I'm brilliant and like the brake cleaner sucked out of my bolt.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd appreciate if you'd explain the difference for the other folks...I'm brilliant and like the brake cleaner sucked out of my bolt.

For an excellent explanation of direct impingement vs. short-stroke piston rod from our conservative friend Stewart Mills of Mills' Fleet Farm, jump to 1:30 in the video:

http://youtu.be/xM3oMlphZiw

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there are short-stroke piston rifles and long-stroke piston.

Short-stroke: pocket of expanding gas pushes a rod back, which contacts the bolt carrier forcing it back as well. The rod/piston only contacts the bolt carrier for a short distance, allowing momentum to carry the bolt carrier all the way back. Short stroke rifles: POF, LWRC, FN SCAR, FN FAL, VZ58 (I think), Adams Arms/Huldra, AR180, Sig 716/516, Sig 550 series

Long stroke piston: works like a short stroke piston except the piston/rod is connected to the bolt carrier, therefore traveling for the entire rearward and forward movement of the bolt carrier. Long-stroke rifles: AK47/74, M1/M1A Garand, Galil, PWS, Adcor Bear

To my knowledge, all semi-auto shotguns are either inertia or short-stroke piston. I could be wrong.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fascinating. Pairing that with a NiB BCG and its virtually maintenance free isn't it?

Bingo. Either NiB or nitride/melonite/QPQ treatment. NiB is a coating while nitriding the metal changes the characteristics of the metal on a molecular level and is cheaper than NiB. I prefer nitriding metal but NiB does look cooler.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where was that link for the BCGs you liked on GunsAmerica again? I got caught up in a bunch of other things and forgot to order one.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the piston also boost MV a bit?

Long Range Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

Recent Posts