Useful Stuff and Useless knowlege

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

A couple people liked the last little chevy engine I put on here so here is a little Flat head.

- - - Updated - - -

2 Stroke V8. I want a boat motor like this.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Phone booth in the middle of the Mojave Desert:

1 760 733 9969

Courtesy of Brian Renville:

The legendary Mojave Phone Booth is back

By Lorraine Murphy

Aug 9, 2013, 8:00am CT | Last updated Aug 9, 2013, 12:03pm CT

760-733-9969. Those 10 digits might signify nothing to the masses, but to the digerati, however, they tell one of the great stories of the Internet.
In short, the Mojave Phone Booth is back.
The booth was originally installed in the 1960s, no-one seems to know quite when, as a frontier phone line servicing volcanic cinder miners. It was at a dusty crossroads in the middle of the Mojave Desert, a day's drive awayfrom the shining lights of Las Vegas. The site was and remains several miles from the nearest paved road.

In 1997, an unnamed man on a rambling road trip spotted the unlikely phone icon on a map and decided to visit it. He wrote an article describing the Zen detour for an underground paper, and Godfrey Daniels, an early Internet adopter, read it and was inspired. He created a tribute website, still extant, and it struck a chord among a generation hopeful about the connective power of technology and its positive impact on society. A legend was born.
People started phoning in. An empty gesture, perhaps, this reaching out into the void of the vast Mojave Desert, knowing there would be no-one there to answer your call. Then one day, someone answered.
After that, there was no stopping them. People would drive out for the experience of being there, for the serendipity of the conversations with callers from all over the world. A Los Angeles Times reporter drove out tocover the story and ended up fielding conversations with people he would never have been aware of otherwise. For such a lonely monument, it was an incredible social networking platform and connectivity conduit.
The Times article was the beginning of the end for the Mojave Phone Booth. It was less than a year later, in 2000, that Pacific Bell shut it down.
Now it's ringing once more—sort of.

Earlier this month, phone phreak and white-hat hacker Jered Morgan (a.k.a. Lucky225) announced obliquely on the Facebook page for Hacker Quarterly2600 that he had resurrected the number. Go on, you know you want to.
760-733-9969.
The number works and, better than ever: it's a conference call! Originally he'd set it up for phreaks—those more interested in sociology and social engineering than pure technological challenge—so you would have to input a certain tone. It asked you to insert a quarter, which any competent phreak can get around with a few special tones.
Having since realized that this formed a barrier for most, Morgan removed that message. Now you go straight through to... whatever's there.
The Daily Dot reached out to learn more.

Is there a limit to how many people can be in the call at one time?
No limit with the exception of bandwidth, very few people have called at the same time so far so I don't know what that particular limit might be.
How does it work? Do you have an actual single phone at the end of that line?

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was working away from home I made many a meal on a solar oven. There are many models to choose from I made mine out of tinfoil, It was almost as fast as using an electric stove. Good glass gets hotter.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got extremely hot just from sitting too!...amazing!!

I could also pull off one hell of a ribeye with that.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the foil get things that hot?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, It's more like a grill on low . I ate on the run so tube steak or something easy was on my menu most days 3 wieners in a ziplock bag with a little water took about 10-15 minutes. a little longer in the winter if it's cold out. When I cooked burgers I threw them on a couple hours before bean time.

- - - Updated - - -

when I think about it , A couple hours for burgers was late fall or winter in the 40s - 50s , On a hot day less that 1/2 hour

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sevn , The old timers had to be careful because they carried their water to the field in a glass jars or jugs that were known as a fire hazard. The one I heard of was an old Model A truck that burned up . Another hazard was having farmers matches and quarters in the same overall pocket. Anyway, On to the main feature.

- - - Updated - - -

Tinfoil

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can clean just about anything with Windex.
I clean my hands with it all the time in my shop, and a few times I've cleaned my entire car with it. -- When it was just dusty, not thick dirt.

Agreed, glass cleaner is useful. Be aware, however, it also strips oil-based stuff. If you use it on your car it'll strip the wax off. Detail shops use it before applying decals to auto bodies.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently began frying an egg or two and throwing it in an English muffin for breakfast. With getting the kids ready for school and getting on the road, I don't get to eat my egg sandwiches for 15-20 minutes after they're prepared. I wrap them in foil and throw them in one of those padded "bubble wrap" envelopes used for shipping small items and roll it up. Keeps breakfast nice and toasty until ready to eat. The USPS flat-rate shipping envelopes work great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 53