Water Levels @ Lake Darling?

SurvivalAmazon88

Established Member
Anyone been to Lake Darling the past week? I'm going out again tomorrow morning and am hoping it won't be soooo low again. Pic of last week at Silver Bridge, about 10 minutes south of Lake Darling last Friday.
456044128_10232502441881164_4890021055794736882_n.jpg

Tinesdown

Established Member
Anyone been to Lake Darling the past week? I'm going out again tomorrow morning and am hoping it won't be soooo low again. Pic of last week at Silver Bridge, about 10 minutes south of Lake Darling last Friday.
456044128_10232502441881164_4890021055794736882_n.jpg
I would think fishing that slough might be better to fish sak its prollly 70. 95 miles from minot. Give or take shore fishing can be good my laddy. The month of August can be tough for fish in sak the good ones go deep an do not bite.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Dont know u from adam but i would quit fishing the places u have been doing the real fish are in the missouri river system lake Sakakawea or bust if i was u iwould try an camp in a area buy 1 scoop of minnows an 2 dozen crawlers shore fishing is the bomb unless the wind is blowing 45

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that they only let 50 cubic feet of water out of Darling this time of year that’s why the river is so low.

Only way the flow would change if there was a big rain event.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikka is correct. Lake Darling is roughly at it's "full pool". This means they are only letting out what comes into the lake in order to keep it stable. So, areas downstream of Lake Darling are going to be relatively low compared to what you were seeing earlier in the summer.

They way to get around this would be to either fish Darling itself from one of the few access areas, fish the river in Minot above a low-head dam, or travel to one of the other fishing destinations. Sak, Audubon, Clearwater Lake up north of Palermo, etc.

Note, since you seem fond (at least OK with) catching pike, there should be a number of sloughs in the Berthold area that hold pike. I know there are some down around the Belden area that held pike when I was a kid, but many might have tough access (posted, weeds, etc).

SurvivalAmazon88

Established Member
Dont know u from adam but i would quit fishing the places u have been doing the real fish are in the missouri river system lake Sakakawea or bust if i was u iwould try an camp in a area buy 1 scoop of minnows an 2 dozen crawlers shore fishing is the bomb unless the wind is blowing 45
My normal fishing spot has been good for pike, it was just low last week. Went there again today before heading up north to Green Bridge. Water levels were much better thankfully. The larger lakes are on my to do list when it's the start of fall though.

SurvivalAmazon88

Established Member
Tikka is correct. Lake Darling is roughly at it's "full pool". This means they are only letting out what comes into the lake in order to keep it stable. So, areas downstream of Lake Darling are going to be relatively low compared to what you were seeing earlier in the summer.

They way to get around this would be to either fish Darling itself from one of the few access areas, fish the river in Minot above a low-head dam, or travel to one of the other fishing destinations. Sak, Audubon, Clearwater Lake up north of Palermo, etc.

Note, since you seem fond (at least OK with) catching pike, there should be a number of sloughs in the Berthold area that hold pike. I know there are some down around the Belden area that held pike when I was a kid, but many might have tough access (posted, weeds, etc).
I haven't found any fishing spots around my own town of Berthold that look accessible but I'll keep an eye out. I am fond of pike fishing as well as that's so far the ONLY thing I have caught this summer. I have been to Clearwater Lake a lot with the kids for swimming but have not fished there. I wasn't sure if it was allowed since I've never seen anyone around the shoreline fishing. I'll add that to my list though, so I appreciate the tip.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 127
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38