Whelping Box

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be having a batch of pups in a few months and trying to get things somewhat ready. Was toying around with building a box this weekend but wondering if it really matters? Most people just use a kids pool, but thought about building one out of wood with higher sides and a rail so the pups don't get laid on by mom accidentally.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a kids pool and when the little buggers managed to escape that they were moved into a folding dog pen. The pen worked best because I could pick it up and scrub the floor under it. Put pups in a Rubbermaid tote every night while it was cleaning time.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a wooden one. I wish I had made it a little bit bigger and put the rail around the inside. I also put electric heating pads in it and use old towels over the top. Works like a champ. Sides are about 10", need to be 12"-14" probably. Wasn't long and they were going over the side. But I have a cutout in the front that I had a piece of wood over top of. I removed it and used that wood as a ramp and they go in and out easily now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49