Which wild game meat tastes the best?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right, but like, what are your instructions for canning meat and not dying horribly of botulism, etc.?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me ask you all this: When you make a claim for the best flavor of a specific animal, was it the actual MEAT or the RECIPE??

Therein lies the crux of the argument. It's why I judged my list on minimal ingredients and flavor of the game.

If your argument is, "by FAR the best is skunk asshole! Tastes like perfectly seared and smoked ribeye." I'll raise an eyebrow and wonder if you're off your meds. But ultimately the story will continue along the lines of: "All you have to do is be sure to kill a yearling skunk and get it before it sprays. Then you trim off all the sinews and fat, and marinade for seven days in a mixture of soy sauce, Worcestershire, and a few drops of unicorn tears. Be sure to do this during a full moon. That's key! Then let it hang and slowly age for up to 5 days and not more than 7 days. Smoke briefly over a mixture of Yucatan mesquite and Swedish cedar bows, then cook slowly over low heat for 8-10 hours. Comes out tasting like the best pulled pork you've ever had!"

TO me, that's not good wild game. That's a time consuming recipe to transform a substandard form of protein into something palatable.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
you duck haters need to learn how to cook

X2

I will take a duck over 99% of the other game out there.

Duck ka bobs with onion and peppers and mushrooms. Tasty!!!

Marinade the duck breast chunks beforehand.
Marinade either soy sauce OR worchestershire sauce

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
X2

I will take a duck over 99% of the other game out there.

Duck ka bobs with onion and peppers and mushrooms. Tasty!!!

Marinade the duck breast chunks beforehand.
Marinade either soy sauce OR worchestershire sauce

You started off poorly by using duck and then doubled-down on shitty by adding peppers. BLECH!!

P.S. I like to pick on the duck guys, don't take it personal, unless you want to, then go ahead and stew on it.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
About the only wild game I can palate anymore is Pheasant. or anything made into Jerky.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is about as good as duck gets for me. And its pretty dang good!

Marinate

DSC00576_1.jpg

Make sauce

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

Grill over wood and charcoal to rare/med rare
Drizzle on sauce

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
now that's how it's done - oh my

- - - Updated - - -

if only ducks were as plentiful for eastern ND hunters as they were in the past

last 10 years have SUCKED

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Marinate

2019 Deer.jpg

Make sauce

75169479_2710422718996574_8337274641072521216_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1574369009337.jpg

Drizzle on sauce

SD meth.jpg

5ADD9C39-C5CA-42A7-8D2F-75F5F859EEE1.jpg

All of my duck-consumption joking aside, I'd try that on purpose even if I knew what it was before I ate it.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of guys are hilarious...I like it.. But on the food subject...its as good as you prep it...some are good at cookng and some just suck balls at it......it is what it is

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is just a touch of the beverly hillbillies in these here hills.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me:

1. Moose
2. Elk
3Antelope
4. Pheasant
5. Deer
6. Ducks
7. Young Snow Geese
8. Ruffed Grouse (Problem is getting enough to actually make a meal.)
9. Cottontail Rabbit (same problem as ruffed grouse in lots of areas.)

I like recipes that enhance the flavor yet still have ingredients that are easily available. I don't use any meat that has any dark blood showing. On birds that means no BB holes in the edible meat. Use that meat for sausage. I'm a person who looks for recipes in all sorts of outdoor publications. Try them and then decide whether the recipe is worth keeping or goes in the trash. Remember the time I found a recipe for Venison roast, tried it on a whole hind quarter of a young deer. Had a friend of my wife's over for dinner and didn't realize that she did not like venison. She at least tried it and then ate some more. By the end she told me "I really don't like venison but if you ever make this again, you can invite me back." I'm also not afraid to cook some game on the rare side while others I think are better cooked long and slow to get the desired tenderness.

- - - Updated - - -

Marinate

2019 Deer.jpg

Make sauce

75169479_2710422718996574_8337274641072521216_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1574369009337.jpg

Drizzle on sauce

SD meth.jpg

5ADD9C39-C5CA-42A7-8D2F-75F5F859EEE1.jpg

Damn does that look good. I find that good sauces are as important to game as they are to a high quality steak. And by sauce I don't mean a bottle of Ketchup or a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for people that like eating duck: Does it taste good because you were able to get the game taste out of it or does it taste good to you because of the game taste (you like the game taste)?

I've tried a number of different recipes for duck and made sure it wasn't overcooked, etc. Even though I have made it taste better, it still has a disagreeable gamy taste that I don't all the way enjoy. Is it that I cooked it wrong or will I never enjoy it because the gamy flavor is always going to be there?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I can recall thinking duck tasted livery/gamy was when I roasted it. Ha ha ha... what a disaster.

And I'm not a gamy taste lover much at all - so we have a bit of a mystery on our hands I guess.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like because it has its own unique flavor and texture.

Perhaps most people overcook it.

It doesn't taste like chicken. : )

Another way I like it is thin sliced breast that is saute'd in butter with mushrooms.
I can eat a whole skillet full of this.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time I can recall thinking duck tasted livery/gamy was when I roasted it. Ha ha ha... what a disaster.

And I'm not a gamy taste lover much at all - so we have a bit of a mystery on our hands I guess.

I haven't had much luck with roasting wild duck either. I do a poor job and it gets overcooked and all dried out on me.

<><>
I am glad a lot of people don't like eating duck. Then they don't hunt them and that leaves more for the rest of us. Most "farmers" will say "you hunt ducks?" as if you are crazy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88