Who shoots copper?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never thought of it before about the birds getting lead poisoning from the bullets being fragmented.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
AZ G&FD has an on going study on lead bullets in gut piles hurting California Condors. I've seen x-rays and read autopsy reports on them and am still on the fence. The article reads like a "hit" piece on lead ammo though.

That said I shoot a lot of copper bullets in my 22-250, 270, 7mm Mauser and my 375 H&H. I like the accuracy and they way they perform on animals.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the article is certainly written purposefully to be an anti-lead article. Which is OK with me. But I still use lead. Maybe I’ll switch some day.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't for 50 years but have recently been using copper and experimenting. Would have been easier to experiment a few years ago when you could literally buy as many doe tags as you wanted. Nothing like a live animal to determine effectiveness of a bullet.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty sure we will be using lasers before I get my lead bullets used up.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what I DON’T want to see is lead made illegal - that’d be BS. And I’m afraid that’s what they’ll be gunning for before long.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure we will be using lasers before I get my lead bullets used up.

you’d be surprised at the energy requirements and technology necessary to generate enough light flux to kill a deer

not going to happen in my lifetime IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Can you guys recommend good off the shelf copper to try? (deer/elk w 300 WM)

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, switched to Barnes TTSX for big game. They kill with authority. Between those and my stainless broad heads, I haven't worried about eating lead in years.

So yes, I'm a fan. However, I am not for outlawing lead bullets either. That would be dumb.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you guys recommend good off the shelf copper to try? (deer/elk w 300 WM)

http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

Barnes vortx factory rifle shoots well in my gun I shot the 140 and 150 grain ttsx out of 7mm. I read on the internet your supposed to go with a lighter grain weight bullet than you normally shoot with the txs line of bullets. If I where you I would try the 165 grain ttxs. I am by know means an expert and there is a lot more qualified people on this forum that may offer a better suggestion.

Last edited:

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lead bullets are not such a bad thing. After all the protections on raptors (birds of prey), there's quite a shortage of upland birds and quite a abundance of hawks, owls and eagles. I know this sounds harsh, but those damn snowy and great-horned owls can wipe out a covey of partridge in no-time. When, on a typical day afield, you see way more hawks and owls than upland birds, then you know the "balance" is way off.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya - I’m not worried about the birds/carcasses.. ha ha.

More for the rare “shoulder blowup”. I’ve never had to worry so far about lead bits in big game (by sheer chance) - but “lead bits all over the place” is going to happen at some point.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot copper from the late 1980's, when most people had never heard of it, all through the 1990's. I switched back because they didn't perform at long range, and the bonded bullets rarely fragment. Even the Burger VLD rarely fragments beyond 1000 yards. I think the lead poison is real, but incidents highly exaggerated. Now lead shot and waterfowl is a different story. I have watched eagles take wounded ducks. I would like to see those fragments they speak of.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you clean game and eat lead I wouldn’t blame the bullets. I would blame the lead paint chips you must have ate as a child.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you clean game and eat lead I wouldn’t blame the bullets. I would blame the lead paint chips you must have ate as a child.

Well, you say that, but... there are situations where the lead can be fragmented to near microscopic levels, and can be dispersed far from the main wound channel. .
There are x-rays that would seem to demonstrate:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=deer+x-ray+lead&FORM=HDRSC2

Maybe it's all fake, and maybe lead isn't really that bad for you, but I'll error on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Laziness or greed at the cleaning table is the culprit.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? I’m sort of almost offended now.

ba ha ha! I figured that would rattle yer cage

I have been pretty uninterested/oblivious to any bullet talk up until today - and it remains a mild interest

so if “Scenar” or some of your other suggestions have been all copper recommendations then my apologies, I wasn’t paying attention :)

- - - Updated - - -

it’s xray pics that caught my attention too

Attachments

CB50E778-AD91-40AC-8466-1F106785364F.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
ba ha ha! I figured that would rattle yer cage

I have been pretty uninterested/oblivious to any bullet talk up until today - and it remains a mild interest

so if “Scenar” or some of your other suggestions have been all copper recommendations then my apologies, I wasn’t paying attention :)

- - - Updated - - -

it’s xray pics that caught my attention too

im offended that you’d go to the store and buy them.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot copper from the late 1980's, when most people had never heard of it, all through the 1990's. I switched back because they didn't perform at long range, and the bonded bullets rarely fragment. Even the Burger VLD rarely fragments beyond 1000 yards. I think the lead poison is real, but incidents highly exaggerated. Now lead shot and waterfowl is a different story. I have watched eagles take wounded ducks. I would like to see those fragments they speak of.

Yeah well, I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've shot pheasants in the cattails on the edge of sloughs and had Lead BB's rake across the water. Just make lead legal across the board again..........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18