Whole meat venison jerky

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried someone's high mountain and it was highly lame. Did they screw it up??

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to at least double the concentration they say to put on the meat I found.

Of the seasoning, yes. Don't do it with the cure or you run the risk of effing it up.

I have for years used both High Country and the Mountain seasoning packs. My experience is to get the best results to "wing it" with adding some extra stuff. In particular, I love the dry teriyaki seasoning packs, then after everything is fully covered in the teriyaki and cure, I liberally dose it with cayenne pepper and put it in glass or plastic bowls in the fridge for 24-48 hrs. Once it has set in the fridge, I smoke it to desired dryness.

I tend to do this in 12-15 pound batches, labor intensive to say the least but makes some of the best jerky I have ever eaten.

Note, this is for whole muscle cuts that I cut angling against the grain but almost never perpendicular to the grain.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I do it, I lay out a bunch of paper towels on the kitchen table and place the jerky slices on the paper towels, then cover them with more paper towels and try to soak up as much blood as I can out of the pieces. Then I mix the cure and seasoning in the little bottle that comes in package. I mix to specifications. I use as much as it takes to cover them generously on one side. Then I place them in a plastic container one layer at a time, and I sprinkle the shit out of them again, each layer. This takes some time I know, but its worth it. I'm not sure how others apply the seasoning, but this works. I can't imagine just using their guide for meat ration and then just throwing it all together and trying to mix it. Faster yes, but thats why you're getting weak jerky. Then I let it cure for at least 2 days in the fridge, then I vacuum seal in qt bags. I found that the oven works better than a dehydrater. I set to 150 and place on jerky screens. Keep the oven door closed for first hour, then prop the door for as long as 2 more hours, turning them at least once. The thicker pieces stay in longer, Thinner ones can be done in 2 hours. After a couple hours I'll let them stay in the oven over night with the oven off door closed.

I've had people tell me its the best jerky they've ever had, but I know some have never had whole muscle deer jerky.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I do it, I lay out a bunch of paper towels on the kitchen table and place the jerky slices on the paper towels, then cover them with more paper towels and try to soak up as much blood as I can out of the pieces. Then I mix the cure and seasoning in the little bottle that comes in package. I mix to specifications. I use as much as it takes to cover them generously on one side. Then I place them in a plastic container one layer at a time, and I sprinkle the shit out of them again, each layer. This takes some time I know, but its worth it. I'm not sure how others apply the seasoning, but this works. I can't imagine just using their guide for meat ration and then just throwing it all together and trying to mix it. Faster yes, but thats why you're getting weak jerky. Then I let it cure for at least 2 days in the fridge, then I vacuum seal in qt bags. I found that the oven works better than a dehydrater. I set to 150 and place on jerky screens. Keep the oven door closed for first hour, then prop the door for as long as 2 more hours, turning them at least once. The thicker pieces stay in longer, Thinner ones can be done in 2 hours. After a couple hours I'll let them stay in the oven over night with the oven off door closed.

I've had people tell me its the best jerky they've ever had, but I know some have never had whole muscle deer jerky.

Sure hope you have some left by January.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been using this one for years:
2 cups teriyaki(buy thick stuff, i think la choy is the one i use)
2 table spoons of liquid smoke(or throw in smoker i have done this both ways)
black pepper and garlic powder to your preference
1 tablespoon meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon mrs dash
1 tablespoon of red pepper(optional)
tabasco or siracha to your taste, if you like hot add alot if you dont add a little.

Longer you let it marinade the better it is. I leave mine for a minimum of 3 days.

***I add pink salt to this recipe to cure the jerkey before i smoke or dehydrade.

This makes about 5lbs and its pretty easy to adjust, if you havent, i would highly recommend it and you can add all ingredients according to taste !

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely season both sides. i throw mine on the table as close together as possible. sprinkle about half the mix. flip. do the other half and then into storage. i suppose that seasoning one side and then the other as they go in the container would work too. but, i would fear that i would have a bunch of seasoning left over at the end. with all of the pieces laid out in front of you, you can be certain that half of the seasoning goes on each side and that you won't have any left over at the end. and i've also added things like black pepper, red pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, etc... in moderation to the mix as well. i don't bother using the seasoning container they sell with the packages. they are only good for about 2-3 pounds. i saved a big coarse ground black pepper container with the big holes. mix it all in a bowl and then add to the container. it holds exactly enough to do 7 pounds. regarding hi country v. high mountain... i also found high mountain was just to bland when seasoned according to the directions. so, for the last few years its been high country for this guy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever try this? I find it has amazing flavor and bet it would simplify the jerky process. A little goes a long way, it's very concentrated.

th

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whole muscle for this guy. I use hi mountain original then add a some garlic salt and pepper to the batch. I just put it all in a bowl and mix it. I have never had a off tasting piece of meat. I put about 5lbs of meat less than what the recipe calls for. Let sit for a day or to then put in smoker for about 2 hrs at 180. If I have a couple pieces that are not quite done I'll put them in the oven to finish.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
1'4 inch thick "depending on eye condition" high mountain mixes, yes mixes then put in bucket for couple days "stiring with hands every day to mix it up" put in my old a## electric smoker, add chips mostly apple chips in the tray . smoke like hell then turn it off for "we'l depends on how cold it is out "uninsulated shop" couple hours and taste testing then smoke again eye burning when you take it out then straight into a Ziploc where I sweat it "open / close the bag until cool" kids'll eat it

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do stop vaccuum sealing when the liquid just gets to the top of the bag? I have been wondering how to vacuum seal a hunk of meat or jerky in marinate with out sucking all the liquid into the machine.

I believe it recommends placing juicy meats in the freezer to allow the liquid to freeze up somewhat before vac sealing. This may help keep the juices running to the seal as you vac out the air.

I do own an electric slicer that I like to cut raw meat with for jerky. It too, recommends one freeze the cuts up somewhat to make slicing easier.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I found out Dale's tasted like zebra feces I'd move to Africa to farm for the scat and sex tourism. I'd be a damn zebra farmer and pimp.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also noticed last week that Butcher Block in Bismarck has their own jerky seasoning for sale. Believe it was around $10 and the packet was good for 25 pounds of meat.

I am a muscle jerky hound too. Used to use the Otto Geinger jerky seasoning (south 12th in Bismarck). He has sold out many years ago and have not really found any jerky seasoning that I like as well as what Otto threw together. Will give Butcher Blocks a try soon as I do like their jerky.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever try this? I find it has amazing flavor and bet it would simplify the jerky process. A little goes a long way, it's very concentrated.

th

I have I think I let it sit too long turned out really salty, but jerky depends on preference. I tend to like my jerky more sweet and with a little bit of spice.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
THANKS NORM!! Thumbs Up:D I know damn well this is potent stuff due to a few meat failures. If I'm not mistaken, there's a warning on the bottle. If I ever get the opportunity to do deer jerky again I'll do small batches to perfect a recipe. 1/2 tsp in a lb of hamburger is plenty IMHO without additional seasoning. This product is the .500 S&W of the marinade world. Thanks again for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

Pondering if T-dust could be steeped for a marinade...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have put T Dust on jerky before that was some good stuff. Next batch might have to mix some in.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recipes? Dry spice/cure packs ($$$) vs home brewed? Slice thickness? With grain, against, or bias?

Discuss!!

I started making ground stuff this year, it has been excellent. I will be making 50-50 now. Elk makes better jerky than deer, but that's not saying anything bad about deer, just how excellent elk is no matter how you do it. I've got 25 pounds of deer in a brine mix tonight. For my whole muscle, slice it partially froze so it is thin. I then take my mix that I buy (same stuff for over 10 years) and mix with a packet to a quarter cup of water. I get it straight from Nesco. I have had a lot of people say it's the best jerky they've ever eaten. I'll use Hi Mountain and others mixed the same way when I get in a bind. Mix it the same way for the ground, just don't need to cure it for 24-48 hours. I put some smoke to it right away.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soak T-dust in water then use the concoction as marinade.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88