Who's going qucak quack hunting...I mean ducking hunting this weekend

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Solo goose hunt this morning and scratched down 5. Which was a great plenty as all 5 were over 12 lbs. Ducks were scarce, but then again I wasn't scouting or hunting them. Was nice to get out and pull in some birds, but WAY WAY to hot to hang out much past 9 for this guy. Good Luck Fellas!!!

Do you use a digital rapala scale?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't start chasing waterfowl until 1994. I didn't have to deal with the point system or any of that, but I heard it from the guys who did, guys who only got a couple birds a year and hunted them because it was much more than shooting a limit everytime out. We didn't have trash ducks, or brown ducks, just ducks. Thank the folks at Mossy Oak, Real Tree, DU and every outfit out there with decoys, calls, blinds, ammo, etc... to sell that turned waterfowling into something I don't think it was ever meant to be. Look at 99% of ads for gear, everybody has to look like a hardass, hardcore s.o.b. loaded down with whatever is being sold and if you don't have enough of the stuff being hawked, you are behind the times and a nusance to the rest of us doing it the right way. Nevermind we killed birds just as dead as anyone else over our cheap shells, no layouts, didn't have a grand in calls around our necks. Some years we killed over 70 geese each and Ohio was a 2 bird a day state.

I'm used to showing up at a state marsh to try and get drawn for a half day hunt where there are 20 spots and 50 guys. Or at a state park drawing for building a blind for the season, 12 blind stakes and 150 guys there. One of our farms we had permission on had 10 groups all with written permission, either ya made friends and hunted with all or you went away. I've hunted with a lot of guys who just could not enjoy waterfowling for what it is- a nice way to spend some time with friends and family and work some birds and maybe shoot a few. It sucks when you have to compete for birds and I want to shoot a limit as much as the next guy, I don't want every hunt a bust. At the same time I am not going to be the guy who bitches and moans about how he had a terrible hunt because everybody else is an effing idiot and if everyone else would do it his way there would be more birds to shoot.

I can understand how residents up here could be overwhelmed with the NR brigades but in 3 seasons up here it seems that there are plenty of places with birds and not alot of groups chasing them, just my feeble minded observastion from behind the wheel driving between Mandaree and Minot and now Watford City and Minot on several saturdays during the season. I am sure it can be quite different further east. It has to be one of the biggest drawbacks of living in a place that is likely in the top 10 for a lot of hunters and coming here to hunt is a dream come true for many. I can see both sides of the issue and other guys can for sure ruin a hunt but for a guy that has never squeezed a trigger here, if I get out this year I will be thrilled pretty much no matter what. Hope everyone has a good season!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no such thing as crap ducks, just ducks that aren't in full plummage.....and guys that can't identify them. The main reason I oppose an early teal season.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't a digital scale with the hook around the neck be neat?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Guy, bathroom scales are portable and they work outside too........just sayin.

Digital scales ARE neat, but I don't have one, so the bathroom de-liar will have to do for now. Nice pile of honkers there Big J. Good to see your out in the fields whackin and stackin.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean I give up your right I'm wrong period. It that what you want to hear? I try to give you a complement say your knowledgable and ask for your help and you shut the door in my face.

Your an ignorant fuck! You think your better than everyone period. I'm done wasting my time arguing with you. If you think ND has it right please do nothing. If someone would like to try and establish ascap please let's do it.

dean what was ND population back then. I bet it wasn't 750,000 plus like it is now. A cap is needed in my opinion but please please let everyone know how's god dam dumb ii am and how smart you are.

again quite bitching about pressure. Your a condescending fuck who bitches one day and asks like a fairy princess the next.

Lord dean please grace us with your knowledge oh lord and savior dean of the fowl

- - - Updated - - -

Nodakbuckeye. Thank you for that response I never know and could fathom that type of hunting. Some say were spoiled I say it's why I will never leave. I don't want to see ND turn into that and in my very honest opinion it is slowly heading that way.

The he populstion has soared and combine that with a growing NR population, more posted land, and it's getting tougher and tougher every year.

I certainly can see your side. I truly do hope you enjoy it here and it sounds like you do things right. Good luck!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out today. Threw on some waders, walked into a marsh (from hell), came out +4 beautiful teals, lost 1 teal and a honker. Pissed about losing those 2 birds. Got Real... dehydrated. It was a swell day.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Dean Nelson is a VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE eff!! You need to update your fecal arrangement process!!

- - - Updated - - -

I pm'd BBQ but need to say that stew looks incredible. I'm thinking that would also work for sharptail, venison and especially squirrel/rabbit!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1