Why do i need a cwp?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol your still a tool enough said how do you ignore someone on this site

---------------

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not the one trying to bring up the past because I am not mentally qualified for the debate - That would be you sir.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha i found the ignore button so i am missing the classic sporty replies hope they get the entertainment value up though if nothing else comes from this thread

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha i found the ignore button so i am missing the classic sporty replies hope they get the entertainment value up though if nothing else comes from this thread

Where is the ignore button?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the scoop. ND CCW permit holders can give their card out at the gun store and not have to have the NICS background check performed. The CCW is photocopied, appropriate section filled out in the NICS form and the photo copy is attached to the form. Now, that being said, it may be a requirement or policy of the store to run a background check on all purchasers of firearms, regardless of CCW. The other issue is it probably depends on what your friend is on probation for. ND CCW maybe allows or doesn't restrict applicants with certain misdemeanors on their record. A felony...well thats a different deal.

As for your buddy not knowing when his probation was complete is a line of milarky. Anybody who has been sentenced to time or probation knows when it is completed. Personally that was a good catch by the salesman who performed the screening whether it was store mandated or he just made the call out of force of habit. People used to come in to try and purchase guns at our store all the time and try to pull sketchy stuff and then pleaded ignorance when we sniffed out what was really going on. Anyway, when your buddy gets off probation I hope that he can get the gun he wanted. Until that time he should probably follow the laws and parameters of his probation to keep himself from getting into further trouble.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the scoop. ND CCW permit holders can give their card out at the gun store and not have to have the NICS background check performed. The CCW is photocopied, appropriate section filled out in the NICS form and the photo copy is attached to the form. Now, that being said, it may be a requirement or policy of the store to run a background check on all purchasers of firearms, regardless of CCW. The other issue is it probably depends on what your friend is on probation for. ND CCW maybe allows or doesn't restrict applicants with certain misdemeanors on their record. A felony...well thats a different deal.

As for your buddy not knowing when his probation was complete is a line of milarky. Anybody who has been sentenced to time or probation knows when it is completed. Personally that was a good catch by the salesman who performed the screening whether it was store mandated or he just made the call out of force of habit. People used to come in to try and purchase guns at our store all the time and try to pull sketchy stuff and then pleaded ignorance when we sniffed out what was really going on. Anyway, when your buddy gets off probation I hope that he can get the gun he wanted. Until that time he should probably follow the laws and parameters of his probation to keep himself from getting into further trouble.

:;:exactly

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the insight pigsticker, anyways i talked to a runnings employee who said he calls all of them in. Thus why it got flagged. The mess up on the not knowing of probation came from him recieving his cwp and thinking that if he was on probation he wouldn't get the permit. He thought that it ran from the first court date and not the sentencing part which he filed a form to plead guilty and not go to court so being a 20 something in western ND he didn't pay close enough attention and assumed that since he had recieved his permit he could purchase a gun. Either way he was issued a permit to carry while still on probation which to me undermines part of what they say these permits are for.
IMO , i think we should get rid of the need for a permit in the state if you are legally able to buy/posess a pistol you should be able to conceal or at the very least transport it in your vehichle without having to worry about getting busted after dark if it is not locked seperate from ammo in the trunk and all the other stipulations that go along with it. If you declare to leo that you are carrying much the same way a permit holder does upon first approach it should be left at that, if you are legal to carry the weapon. Odds are if you are not supposed to have a gun in your car that you probably aren't going to let the leo know until he searches the car. I was told by my old sheriff that i should always carry it unloaded on the dash, which to me just seems like a more threatning place for it than in my glovebox or in the backseat.

Stephen Johnson

Founding Member
Founding Member
BS story. No dealer in ND calls in NICS check on a concealed carry and dangerous weapons permit holder. They would not have the permit if they were on probation for a felon etc. I know guys that got refused because they had a DUI.

- - - Updated - - -

The WHOLE reason for getting mine was so that I did not have to wait around for hours and hours on the phone call or to get my transaction put on hold for 3 days. This is because there is a kid in Hillsboro ND that has my exact same name etc and he has not been a good boy. Maybe every dealer in the state got a notfication that his permit was revoked and that is why he was denied.

But just you being upset and saying it was BS that Scheels did not call it in tells me that it is possible that you may be an antigun zealot here to spread lies to keep people from getting their permits.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
BS story. No dealer in ND calls in NICS check on a concealed carry and dangerous weapons permit holder.

Gander Mountain does, company policy. Wouldn't surprise me if it's company policy @ Runnings too. I ran into at least 1 FFL holder @ a gunshow in ND that called in every transaction CWP or not.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
BS story. No dealer in ND calls in NICS check on a concealed carry and dangerous weapons permit holder. They would not have the permit if they were on probation for a felon etc. I know guys that got refused because they had a DUI.

- - - Updated - - -

The WHOLE reason for getting mine was so that I did not have to wait around for hours and hours on the phone call or to get my transaction put on hold for 3 days. This is because there is a kid in Hillsboro ND that has my exact same name etc and he has not been a good boy. Maybe every dealer in the state got a notfication that his permit was revoked and that is why he was denied.

But just you being upset and saying it was BS that Scheels did not call it in tells me that it is possible that you may be an antigun zealot here to spread lies to keep people from getting their permits.

hahaahaha ok

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the dealer calls in to NICS for every transaction (it's up to the dealer) there is no reason to see a CWP from buyer. It is useless for the dealer to fill out the CWP part of the 4473 if they are going to call it in.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had one for many years. I got one because of the limitations of having a handgun in a vehicle after dark (no trunk in a pickup or Suburban).

Can you tell me more about this please? Is this a MN thing or many places there?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a SW .40 snubby and answered yes to the second question about being a felon or something like that...haha, he had to have me do the entire process over as I was a retard and answered it wrong.

I have the CC, it speeds the process up, and I am guessing gave me an easier do-over with my careless form filling abilities.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can help. You are not required to undergo a NICS check when purchasing a firearm from an FFL in ND if you're a ND resident with a ND CWL. However, some gun shops, such as Fleet Farm, still call in a NICS check as a matter of company policy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69