Why so many secrets? Fishing info.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will tell people technique and depth and stuff just not gps location. I can understand on the little lake being tight lipped but with all the room here on oahe and its generally pretty simple find the right structure and you will find fish i am not to worried if some one is in a spot i wanted to go i will just move on to one of the other 300 good places to fish.

Agreed. Sakakawea is a little easier to let information slide. I like a lot of these smaller lakes east of Bismarck. 60 boats on sakakawea and I bet you don't see a third of them in one day. 60 boats on alkaline and you might as well bring some bumpers along.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll tell general areas for fishing; will also tell techniques. It's pretty easy to look in the boat and see. This is on Oahe. If I've got a spot on a spot, that probably stays with me or only a select few. I don't tell with hunting any more. I've had guys that begged me to take them out for deer, later contact the landowner for hunting. Not cool. I take one friend and my kids now.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've actually noticed that a lot of the guys in MN in the fishing capital of small lakes especailly that alexandria area are very tight lipped also, i get phone calls from kids younger then me still in high school, to guys i consider to be like a grandpa to me just curious on some local bites and im always more than willing to give out any and all info to help those people get on the fish even bring them to some of my hot spots and show them some techniques (not that im a pro by any means) but especially early season i put on a lot of miles and go through a lot of different bodies of water to get on some fish and if i can use my info to help a buddy get on a bite im all for it, the next time they hear of a hot bite from one of their friends im quite sure they will pass the info on to me, the networking of all of the sharing of info is what i like, and i like to think i have a pretty decently sized network of good fishing buddies that i can pass along any and all info to and they would do the same for me, sometimes the hunt for fish is what drives me to just get out there and fish, but some times i just wanna go right to the fish... one of my favorite things is going and finding some walleyes where no one would ever even think to check!

If you want to see tight lips head to MN. Those guys are like steel traps on area lakes. I like to share info back and forth with real fishermen that appreciate it. Sometimes the relationship works and sometimes it doesn't.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing is fishing for a reason, otherwise they’d call it catching…however I will be as helpful as I can when boat fishing. The lakes I fish have a abundant fish population and are not overly fished in the first place. So if a fellow angler asks me advice I will tell them what I know…IMO this vaults one’s status from angler to sportsman

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing is fishing for a reason, otherwise they’d call it catching…however I will be as helpful as I can when boat fishing. The lakes I fish have a abundant fish population and are not overly fished in the first place. So if a fellow angler asks me advice I will tell them what I know…IMO this vaults one’s status from angler to sportsman

i wanna reach pro status

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a quick question. Do any of you ask for information? I rarely talk to people with the intent of gaining knowledge of how/where they fished. Which is probably why I get skunked a lot. I want to go out there and find my own fish. If you need to, fall back into the pattern of pulling spinners in 11' of water and see what happens. call it a sense of pride or stupidity, but I like knowing that my ideas and techniques brought in fish as well.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I do Mike. Not initially usually, but I can't help but ask after shooting the breeze a bit.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing talk

From my experience the best way to get info is just talking fishing with other anglers. I don't expect spots. But if you visit enough with good anglers a pattern will become apparent. By sharing some of your own experiences others will chime in and suggest next time in those conditions to try something. I try to learn something every time I hit the water and trying something new is hard, but can also be very rewarding.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always been pretty open about where I fish unless I am told a "secret" spot by a friend then I keep it to myself.

Funny story, at Landers this winter, my daughter and I are getting bait and filling up the Suburban before we head out. Another guy asks me where I am going. I tell him its a no name slough out by Medina. He gets all pissed and says, "If you don't want to tell me thats fine!" and he stomps away. I really was going to some no name slough out by Medina. My 11- year old daughter was in tears she was laughing so hard.

So even when you want to tell the truth people won't believe you!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a quick question. Do any of you ask for information? I rarely talk to people with the intent of gaining knowledge of how/where they fished. Which is probably why I get skunked a lot. I want to go out there and find my own fish. If you need to, fall back into the pattern of pulling spinners in 11' of water and see what happens. call it a sense of pride or stupidity, but I like knowing that my ideas and techniques brought in fish as well.

it depends there are certain people that our information we give each other is spot on info color depth location bait the whole 9 yards... for the most part i kinda find my own way to attempt to catch a fishy!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's always exceptions to the rules too I guess. I will pick my dads and his friends brains to figure out what they're doing different. Those guys have forgot more about fishing than I may ever know. They're back from the time when you read the surface characteristics to figure out what was underneath. The only side imaging they had was turning their head. Any chance I get I ask those guys situational questions. I just hate asking random guys at the cleaning station where they went and what they used. I also equally hate be guys that say "caught em in the lip" and then snicker like the just came up with the best joke ever.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's always exceptions to the rules too I guess. I will pick my dads and his friends brains to figure out what they're doing different. Those guys have forgot more about fishing than I may ever know. They're back from the time when you read the surface characteristics to figure out what was underneath. The only side imaging they had was turning their head. Any chance I get I ask those guys situational questions. I just hate asking random guys at the cleaning station where they went and what they used. I also equally hate be guys that say "caught em in the lip" and then snicker like the just came up with the best joke ever.

Yup im with ya man!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75