Wife has never been ice fishing

1Bigdog

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking of taking the wife ice fishing for her first time. We have a couple of hours to possibly hit Sweet Briar on Saturday late morning/early afternoon. Does anyone have any advise on Sweet Briar? I have never been there so any advise would be great. I want to try and make it something she would like to try again.
I have a clam flip over house and most everything we would need. Looking for tips on how to fish this water.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't speak to sweet briar since i haven't fished it in the winter in many years. but if your in Bismarck I would look at Davis WPA. Haven't been there in a few weeks but when we did hit it it had by far the best bite I've seen this winter. Fish wernt all the big but they made up for it by coming in force and hitting hard.

1Bigdog

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Dean Nelson, we are from Dickinson and are coming to Bismarck, that is why I thought of Sweet Briar, but I may have to try Davis WPA. I have never been there either. What does it have for fish? I am assuming pan fish. What is the best bait for Davis WPA?

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any reports for sweet briar. However, as far as I know(haven't fished it in years) it's been the dead sea for quite a few years.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be sure to keep her warm. Or it might be the last time she goes :cool:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Retarded post sorry.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davis is a perch walleye lake. It supposedly has walleyes up to 20 inches but the time I fished it we did not see any close to that big. There is also fish creek out west of town that can be good for trout and crappie during the winter but i have not been there in a year so don't have a official report.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go to Crown Butte instead of Sweetbriar. Nice bluegill and crappie in there.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're looking to stay close to Mandan/Bismarck, Crown Butte and Fish Creek would be good choices. Since it's her first time, treat her like a child. Keep her warm and put her on fish! If you can't put her on fish make sure you bring your cell phone so she can play games. You'll get into a lot of fish at Crown Butte. Fish Creek can be hit and miss, but if you find them it will be fun.

Another option would be Harmon Lake north of Mandan. I haven't fished it for a couple years, but I've heard of people pulling some nice blue gill out of there.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet Briar has only been really skinny 7-10" walleyes for me in the summer. Sometimes they can be ravenous, you might catch 50 in an evening but you won't be making a meal of them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished Paterson yesterday, we kept a few. If you are from Dickinson, and want to make it a fun time I would try right here. Fish are biting, not the biggest but action anyway.

The guy I fished with yesterday said one of his employees was down to Indian creek(regent area) and pulled a 9 lbr out last week. Might be worth a trip there too. Cant use live minnows on Indian.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 139
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51