Ice fishing Missouri

bink

So I live in Bismarck, I keep hearing about people ice fishing the river. Now obviously, they are fishing the little backwaters like Schmidt Bottoms, any recommendations of areas that have safe ice and might produce some fish? I love ice fishing, but I hate driving an hour to fish so if there is any little waters around I can target off the river I would be excited. Thanks all

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
way south down by border alot more slack water, to dangerous north or they crazy

limit2winit

Established Member
with boats still being on the water as of yesterday, not a place i would feel comfortable yet on the river. maybe in 2 weeks.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The vast majority of ice fishing the river is from beaver bay to state line. I used to fish a few random spots around Bismarck when I was in high school, but none were ever super productive and most were taken out in the 2011 flood. I'm sure there are some spots around to catch a few fish, but people aren't going to be too willing to give those up.

Last edited:

bink

The vast majority of ice fishing the river is from beaver bay to state line. I used to fish a few random spots around Bismarck when I was in high school, but none were ever super productive and most were taken out in the 2011 flood. I'm sure there are some spots around to catch a few fish, but people aren't going to be too willing to give those up.
I haven't checked out beaver bay in a while, last time I went it was looking so sad and missing all its water! This is kind of my feeling, guess I'll just keep driving an hour to fish :)

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
As most have mentioned, there aren't going to be many places on the river near town. Believe some fish are caught in the marinas but I don't think there's much if any public access. Sweetbriar or New Johns are probably your best bets if you want shorter drives. Geneva was ok but I believe winterkilled last year.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My closest is 45min. When people "oh it's such a long drive for you" when talking 60min I just say what's the difference I already drive 45min. Guess there might be some a little closer I can go try from where I live now but haven't ventured that way in a few years. One of the last times I decided I was going to finally figure out how to get to a little pond that was land locked but had a section line trial I was going to check out as it was a pretty open winter, well I was not the first to think about it and by the time I got there that little place was filled with so many houses and people it was like looking inside Walmart. I went home.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the late 60's there were ice houses on the Missouri between the Memorial Bridge and the railroad Bridge. Set lines were common.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the late 60's there were ice houses on the Missouri between the Memorial Bridge and the railroad Bridge. Set lines were common.
Those days were neat . From a distance you could tell how many were occupied by counting the chimneys that had wood smoke coming out of them.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught my largest walleye through the ice to date off the boat ramp at ft rice a decade or so ago, about 3 hours after dark, only bite of the night. Nice 10lber.

MDMcFly

Misty Waters marina is about the only place I know around Bismarck along the Missouri. You need to access via the public boat ramp and walk in under the overpass (ice thickness changes due to currents and it only froze over about 2 weeks ago so be very caution right now). On 12/28/2023 there was about 4-6 inches under the overpass, but about 8-9 inches back in the marina. There was someone darkhouse spearing not too long ago back in the marina. Typically pike, perch, some crappie, and an occasional small walleye.

Jim Simmers

Established Member
The Drinks gates are up and you can access lakewood there. I see someone has been out. I heard you can use the oar ramp as well. I am told there is no issue in the winter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84