wild game recipes

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
This cold weather gots me cooking.. Share your favorite wild game recipes (venison, fish, fowl, etc.)

Ill start, I made this one the other day with a elk roast and it was very good and savory!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl64ELfptaG/

1677083027064.png

Pot roast recipe
- 1 white onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 4 carrots
- 1 bag small yellow potatoes
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 lb chuck roast
- 1 tbs sea salt plus fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbs neutral oil
- 1/2 a bottle of red wine
- 1 stick butter
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 qt beef broth
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano​

Instructions
1. Finely mince the onion and celery. Roughly chop the carrots and potatoes into bite sized pieces.
2. Season the cut of meat with the salt and pepper
3. Add the oil to a large enameled cast iron stockpot and sear both sides on high for about 5 min till a crust forms
4. Remove the meat turn the heat down to medium and add the onions and celery
5. Cook down for a few min then add the tomato paste and butter, stir and cook for a min till the butter is fully melted.
6. Add back the meat with the wine, beef broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, and rosemary, carrots, and potatoes.
7. Cover and reduce to a simmer and let cook for 3.5 hours. The meat should be falling apart to the touch. If it’s not then cook it longer.
8. Serve with garlic bread and enjoy​

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.missallieskitchen.com/venison-stir-fry/
This is one of my favorite dishes when it comes to venison but instead of rice I use Ramen noodles.
I miss my garden vegetables because buying enough variety of peppers is damn expensive in the store or even at homegrown markets. Oh well someday I will get to plant another garden, I envy you pepes who get to plant a garden every year because it's so relaxing and rewarding to see mother nature in action.
Venison-Stir-Fry-9970.jpg

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have a picture so use your imagination, but it is delicious.

Spinach Cheese Stuffed Roll

Take a venison roast or backstrap about 1 1/2" pounds and fillet it out into a 1/2" flat piece of meat, then put it between parchment paper and hammer it flat to about 1/4" or less.

Chop up 1/2 of an onion, mince 4 cloves garlic and sautee these together in a pan with butter. Remove from the pan and mix into 4 ounces of cream cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Spread the cream cheese mixture on the meat staying back about 1/2" from the edge, layer with 2 cups baby spinach, cover that with 8 ounces of smoked provolone cheese.

Roll up the fillet and use toothpicks to secure about every inch, salt and pepper again and then grill until about 155 degrees, slice between the toothpicks and serve.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Melt butter in fry pan, add onions and heat until onions are clear. Add venison and cook until medium rare at most. Serve with preferred vegetable and cold beer.

WoodyND

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best way to cook waterfowl breasts. Marinade them in a bowl or plastic bag for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator. Cook on the grill like you would a steak to medium rare. The marinade is - 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tbsp. ketchup, 1 tbsp. vinegar, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 2 cloves of garlic. I usually quadruple the recipe as I cook more than one bird at a time. The main thing is don't over cook them.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Overcooking waterfowl is the main reason so many say they hate eating it. Now, there’s really no saving a merganser or other fishy diving duck, and sometimes geese need to be made into jerky or something else to cover the taste. But a mallard breast, skin on, seared crispy is about as good as food gets to me.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you guys breast your pheasants this is what I do. Take out of deepfreeze night before and let thaw in Ref until noon the next day, strip out the tenderloin part of breast and cut the rest of the breast into 8 strips length wise 4 to a side, mix 2 eggs and enough milk to cover strips and leave in Ref until ready to cook. Take a 10 or twelve inch cast iron skillet and add 1/2 inch olive oil and 1/2 stick butter heat to 350. Take a 1/2 bag of shorelunch and put in gal zip lock bag, drain milk and egg mixture off of pheasant stips and put into bag of shore lunch , shake to coat. Put into hot pan for 2 and 1/2 min and then onto paper towel to drain and enjoy. Wife like to use Ranch dressing for dip. Pheasant Fingers. LB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorryish. I cannot overcome disgust for under cooked fowl or pork. Blechk. Ants in the rainforest feast on dead parrots, peacocks, monkeys and the vegetation sprouting from their stinking liquefied carcasses.

1677120202685.png

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean up your pheasant breasts (make sure no bb's), then put a little olive oil on them, put your favorite chicken dry rub- I usually use BWW chipotle bbq- and put them in the crock pot on low for about 4-5 hours. It pulls right apart then just like pulled pork/chicken, great on a tortilla with whatever you like on a wrap. Make about 6-8 at a time and great for leftovers, also great on a bun with some bbq sauce.
Just make sure you get all the bb's out first, nobody likes busting a tooth eating a wrap!!
Simple and good way to get rid of pheasant that keeps piling up in the freezer

Spicy buffalo shore lunch on pheasant nuggets in the deep fryer makes a pretty dam good boneless wing as well. Drop em in at about 375ish, same as fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88