Walleye Chowder

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye chowder

Decided to make some chowder for the super bowl. I have always wanted to make homemade fish stock and chowder, and I must say it was excellent. Thought I would share.

Fish stock recipe:

https://honest-food.net/fish-stock-recipe/

Pretty much followed to a T, minus the anise and kelp. Also added some chopped celery leaf. Very tasty stock and was quite simple to make. Be sure to remove gills and guts.

Chowder recipe:

2 celery stalks - diced
1-2 carrots sliced or diced thin- I had baby carrots on hand so guesstimated
1 large onion - diced
4 peeled and diced potatoes
4 cups fish stock
4 cups milk
2 bay leaves
1 cup corn
1 cup peas
2 pounds boneless walleye - cut into 1 inch chunks
1 pd bacon
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp corn starch mixed with equal amount of water

1. made the fish stock according to recipe. Be sure to remove gills, guts, and skin. I just left the head, backbones, and fins.

2. Cooked a pound of bacon in the oven and saved the bacon grease.

3. Sautéed the carrots, onions and celery in 2-3 tbsp bacon grease for the soup, until tender. Added 1/2 cup flour and cooked for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently. Added some salt and pepper.

4. Added white wine, fish stock, bay leaves and potatoes and cooked until potatoes were slightly tender.

5. Added milk, walleye, and corn/peas. Let cook until walleye was cooked through.

6. After the soup was simmering good after walleye was cooked, added about 2-3 tbsp of corn starch mixed with with 2-3 tbsp water to the soup to thicken.

7. Added the diced up cooked bacon and stirred. Reserved some for adding to each bowl of soup. Added more salt and pepper to taste.

8. Topped with a few bacon crumbles and ready to eat!

IMG_3316.jpg
Fish stock ingredients
IMG_3317.jpg
Simmering after about an hour

IMG_3318.jpg
Fish stock after straining through cheesecloth

IMG_3321.jpg
The end result. Very tasty!

Last edited:

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sounds very good! I will have to make sure that my kids don't see the stock making process if I want them to try the chowder!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good, I just use chicken stock in my chowder though:)

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i made walleye chowder in the past... it's one of my favorite recipes and i should do it again soon

campchef

Honored Member
adding a half pound or so of peeled shrimp "kicks it up a notch" Great way to use the fish that may have gotten a little freezer burn.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks great! I've done pike chowder in the past but never walleye. Might have to try it now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks Great!! I use those bigger fish (23 inchers +) that I can't release for chowder. Saves on the eyeball aftertaste. (kidding) Another good use for those bigger fish you can't release is to bake the fillets, flake the meat apart, and put it on a salad with your favorite dressing. Very Not Bad!!!!

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I constructed and ate a very lovely jackfish chowder a couple of weeks ago. Very similar ingredients other than I didn't cook the jack carcasses to make the broth. Jacks are so flavorful, all you need to do is poach the fillet chunks for a few minutes in a minimal amount of water. The water from the poaching operation is added to the chowder. My recipe used sour cream rather than milk.

Yummy!

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks Great!! I use those bigger fish (23 inchers +) that I can't release for chowder. Saves on the eyeball aftertaste. (kidding) Another good use for those bigger fish you can't release is to bake the fillets, flake the meat apart, and put it on a salad with your favorite dressing. Very Not Bad!!!!

If they're thick fillets off a big walleye I just half them so they're about half as thick, cut them into a couple pieces, and then fry like they're normal keepers. Can't tell the difference in taste. I will have to try that one with the salad tho. That sounds good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84