Wild rice questions

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone been around wild rice ? I'm considering planting a small man made pond but Its going to be a learning curve, Iv'e never been around it. Does anyone know of a farm that does this ? A neighbor who is decease tried about 40 years ago and didn't have much luck but a lot has changed with varieties since then.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a friend who did this. Solely for wild duck attractant. They harvested naturally-growing, wild rice and then planted it in other waterways. Thinking they kept it moist and planted right away.

Thinking you aren't going to have much luck with that bagged stuff that gets shipped to ya. But could be wrong.

If you want more info let me know and I will give him a call.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend who did this. Solely for wild duck attractant. They harvested naturally-growing, wild rice and then planted it in other waterways. Thinking they kept it moist and planted right away.

Thinking you aren't going to have much luck with that bagged stuff that gets shipped to ya. But could be wrong.

If you want more info let me know and I will give him a call.

I might take you up on that once I have specific questions , my main goal right now is to find seed source for newer varieties that supposedly don't shell out as bad . I have full control over one pond so I can drain and dry but others I want to make sure it's a variety I'm happy with. looks like once it's established it's not going away any time soon.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Establishing a wild rice planting or field involves several key steps. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Site Selection: Choose a location that has shallow water, ideally 1-3 feet deep, with a water temperature that is warm. The ideal growing depth is 18 to 22 inches.
  2. Soil Preparation: The soil should be loose, well-drained, and rich in organic matter. Remove any weeds or debris from the area and add organic matter such as compost or manure to improve soil quality.
  3. Planting: Plant seeds in the spring, after the last frost. Scatter the seeds over the surface of the soil and cover them with a thin layer of soil. The seeds will germinate in about 2 weeks.
  4. Water Management: Wild rice needs to be flooded with water during the growing season. Maintain a water depth of 2-4 inches above the soil surface throughout the growing season.
  5. Seedling Care: Once the seedlings are 6-8 inches tall, they are ready for transplanting. If you're starting seeds in trays, transplant them into the water at a density of 8-10 plants per square foot.
  6. Harvesting: Monitor your plants' growth and wait for the seed heads to mature and turn brown. Harvest the rice by gently tapping the seed heads to dislodge the grains.
  7. Processing: After harvesting, process the grains to remove the inedible outer husk. Winnow the grains by tossing them in the air and catching them in a basket, allowing the wind to carry away the lighter husks.
  8. Ongoing Care: Regularly weed and fertilize the plants for optimal growth and yield.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of a guy who dumped a burlap bag of wild rice he gathered in Minnesota off a bridge on the Sheyenne River above his relatives farm in 1972. It evidently floated about 1/4 mile before it began to sink and some of it went 3/4 mile before it sank. Next spring it looked like a lot more rice than seed that was dumped. A three hundred yard stretch where the river was wide and shallow in the pasture you could hardly push a canoe through. Next year there was nothing. Not a single plant, and none since.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild rice is a type of grass that can be either perennial or annual, depending on the species. The two cultivated North American species of wild rice, Zizania aquatica and Zizania palustris, are annual plants. They complete their life cycle in one growing season. However, the other two species, Zizania latifolia (Manchurian wild rice) and Zizania texana (Texas wild rice), are perennial plants. They live for multiple years and can regrow from their roots or rhizomes each year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 179
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 63