Winnipeg

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winnipeg River from Pine Falls Generating Station to Lake Winnipeg to and including Traverse Bay - anglers may retain only 1 walleye longer than 70 cm per year. Licence holders who catch and retain one of these fish must immediately record the date on the back of their licence. The walleye/sauger limit is 4 and all walleye and sauger shorter than 35 cm must be released.

Looking on the map, it looks like this only applies to Traverse Bay down to the Pine Falls power station.

Straight from the Manitoba angler's guide.

Upnorth

Winnipeg River from Pine Falls Generating Station to Lake Winnipeg to and including Traverse Bay - anglers may retain only 1 walleye longer than 70 cm per year. Licence holders who catch and retain one of these fish must immediately record the date on the back of their licence. The walleye/sauger limit is 4 and all walleye and sauger shorter than 35 cm must be released.

Looking on the map, it looks like this only applies to Traverse Bay down to the Pine Falls power station.

Straight from the Manitoba angler's guide.
Not anymore as of April 1. Limit on walleye now is 4. Regular or conservation. No keeping anything over 55 cm. Open season on some species, no annual closure. One day licence available.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/nrnd/fish-wildlife/pubs/fish_wildlife/fish/angling-guide.pdf

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had a few mid-day fish fry's on the ice up there that were dam good... Never brought any fish home though

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I've never understood wanting to keep fish to eat up there. That lake is polluted as hell, which is where the Neon Green color comes from. Those fish are swimming around in RRV fertilizer and Winnipeg sewage.
I've eaten a lot of fish out of this lake and they taste no different than the fish I eat out of DL and LOW. The green color is caused by limestone deposits in the northern portions of the lake. I have caught plenty of walleye on Lake Winnipeg that look no different than a walleye caught here in ND. My understanding is that the "greenbacks" are northern fish that have migrated to the southern basin.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've eaten a lot of fish out of this lake and they taste no different than the fish I eat out of DL and LOW. The green color is caused by limestone deposits in the northern portions of the lake. I have caught plenty of walleye on Lake Winnipeg that look no different than a walleye caught here in ND. My understanding is that the "greenbacks" are northern fish that have migrated to the southern basin.
I can shit up a rope now too, enviro fish = super powers

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the sucks cant keep one over christ that lake is full of the bastards, good thing I have some on wall from up there put never know when the giant is hooked. I still like fishing out of Pine Falls with cranks in late fall.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sure why they care about the recreational fishermen keeping one big fish when they allowed the betters to harvest all of the trophy fish with no limit! If I travel all the way there I want a good chance at a 10 lb plus fish. And now if you catch a teener it has to go back, lame!

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sure why they care about the recreational fishermen keeping one big fish when they allowed the betters to harvest all of the trophy fish with no limit! If I travel all the way there I want a good chance at a 10 lb plus fish. And now if you catch a teener it has to go back, lame!
After you release your first couple teeners it gets easier. :)

Attachments

Screenshot_20220617-044849_Facebook.jpg

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished Sunday 10am-sundown and Monday sunup-3pm around the mouth and west. Access from Warner road is good. Two of us caught 32 walleye with 1/2 of them being between 19-23". Only one bigger at 26". Not as good as the old days up there but this was the best of the four trips I made this season. Fished 12-20 fow and struggled to put a pattern together. Just kept drilling and picking them off one here, one there. Weather was decent, roads were good and other than melting a bait cooler I didn't wreck anything so all in all it was a good trip!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody been up north yet? Hoping to make my first trip of the season in a couple weeks. Reports indicate easy travel and good fishing so far.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76