Wirehaired Griffon Owners / Breeders

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Duckslayer, Ithink I know you;) and thanks for the excellent information above as I think your spot on and providing very sound advice to a guy wanting a pointing breed.

Pluck- Have you owned a pointing breed yet?? If you’re really looking for a Griffon - I would certainly put a lot of consideration or at least keep your options open to a GWP. From what I gather reading your posts, I was much like you and wanted the "part time" hunting dog and a "most of the time" family dog and Man was I wrong!! If you want your dog to be a good field dog you must put the time and training into it and you will be glad that you did.. I thought I was doing the right amount of training but after a nightmare NA test I realized that my training efforts didn’t do my dog any justice. So if you think your training your dog right- do more! I've since refined my training approach and have had made some pretty good strides forward but she surely needs a bit more work to become a fully confident hunting dog. Like DS said above there are some very reputable breeders in the state and for the cost, honestly there isn't that much difference between the two breeds when it comes to hunt, drive, desire and all around family pets..

The family dog comes naturally, however, the drive and desire doesn’t so it’s your job to get it to where you want it to be in the field.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer, Ithink I know you;)

Uh oh...my condolences.

and thanks for the excellent information above as I think your spot on and providing very sound advice to a guy wanting a pointing breed.

:;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

So any recommendations on any of the bearded pointers with more of a course coat are appreciated.

That is one downfall in the GWP. Sometimes your coat is a crapshoot. I personally own a more traditional GWP and a slick GWP (I got it almost full grown and knew it wasn't going to have a wirey coat). Honestly, other than the one getting mistaken for a GSP, I see little difference in their productivity afield. Even though he has a shorter coat, Blitz can hang with Remy even in subzero temps. The plus with a slick is no cocklburrs and no snow buildup between their toes.

To answer your question on breeders, two I speak highly of on a regular basis: Three Paws Kennels in Casselton, and Dakota Rose Kennels in Grafton. Both Keith Kemmer (Three Paws) and Kenny Miskavige (Dakota Rose) are super knowledgable GWP owners, handlers, trainers, hunters and breeders.

Also, look up Jeff Jalbert from Horace (Top Shelf Kennels). He is another super knowledgable wirehair dude and is/was president of the RRV NAVHDA chapter for many, many years. I purchased both my pups through him. He used to have litters on a regular basis, but I'm unsure he's breeding any soon. But he's worth a call! Jeff knows pretty much everyone in the GWP business.

Last edited:

jal1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pick mine from willow creek griffons, Corvalis Montana. Dave Bull I like my dog

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have seen 3 different wirehairs that were biting SOBs. There were as bad as any blue heeler I have ever seen. I know there are some good ones but these dogs were all well trained. Two of these dogs bit kids and one got a bullet behind the ear for his habit. These same dogs were great hunting dogs too.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one I hunt with came from a proven bloodline. The owner has done a ton of work with him and has had him out with a professional trainer on a number of occasions. The dog is a fantastic family dog, he just doesn't seem to have a lot of drive. Like I said, he's extremely laid back.

Question to you and DSlayer. Of the Griffs you have seen do this, was it a shock to the owner? Did the pup have the bloodlines of dedicated field dogs and come from a selective breeder who focuses on the traits required to succeed in the field?

And did the owner put in the required work?

I am really curious to know. In my mind, I have convinced myself this can be avoided with the proper research and pup selection. There are far more labs in this world that would prefer to sit on the couch or sniff at heels then there are rock stars in the field... but I think anyone would be wrong to think they can't be one of the best bird dogs out there.

There is the flip side to this as well. I know of 3 different acquaintances that had GSP's that had way to much energy to be a nice house dog. One guy gave it away, another lived on a hobby farm so it became more of an outdoor dog with a big outdoor kennel than the living room pet. And the other suffered through it.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Duckslayer - I have a GWP and curious if you or know of other GWP owners that have dogs that can shit an incredible amount within a 24 hour period?? Im currently feeding with Canidae which is supposed to be a great food. Currently feeding her about 2C 2x/day, thought about reducing her intake but she could use the extra weight/fat, but she cant go more 5 hours without taking a shit.. IS this a trait of the breed or what?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies and PM's guys. Appreciate it.

In the last few days I ran across a versatile dog website and forum and it is pretty active and focuses on these breeds. Just FYI for anyone else currently looking.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer - I have a GWP and curious if you or know of other GWP owners that have dogs that can shit an incredible amount within a 24 hour period?? Im currently feeding with Canidae which is supposed to be a great food. Currently feeding her about 2C 2x/day, thought about reducing her intake but she could use the extra weight/fat, but she cant go more 5 hours without taking a shit.. IS this a trait of the breed or what?

Try changing food. I had feed our dog Canidae for awhile when she was younger and i though she sure shit a lot. Switched to Purina Pro Plan (30/20 in the summer/fall when she is real active and 26/16 in the winter when shes lazy). She gained weight quickly and seems to be very "regular" now. All companies will claim their product is the best but it comes down to what works for you and your dog.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Draathars too. Basically same dog as wirehair but with a little stricter breeding standards. Ive hunted behind both wires and draathars and they are really good dogs. If you have cats and like them..may not be for you then. Can be tough on them

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Try changing food. I had feed our dog Canidae for awhile when she was younger and i though she sure shit a lot. Switched to Purina Pro Plan (30/20 in the summer/fall when she is real active and 26/16 in the winter when shes lazy). She gained weight quickly and seems to be very "regular" now. All companies will claim their product is the best but it comes down to what works for you and your dog.
I will look into this, I have some buddies that feed with Pro plan and they've had good results as well. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies and PM's guys. Appreciate it.

In the last few days I ran across a versatile dog website and forum and it is pretty active and focuses on these breeds. Just FYI for anyone else currently looking.

Now go get on a list and report back what you decided to do!! :;:thumbsup

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you've not already made a decision, my childhood buddie's dad is a Griffon breeder. Or at least he was until a couple years ago. I don't know where you live, but if you'd like to talk to him, I'd guess he'd be happy to, even if he's out of the business. He's a very passionate griffon guy.

PM for details (he lives in South Bismarck).

Jaykay

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 261
  • This month: 223
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77