Wirehaired Griffon Owners / Breeders

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am beginning to think about a pup and right now a Griffon seems like the lead candidate.

I have a 2 yo daughter at home and a wife that would like to minimize the dog hair/shedding (i.e. no lab).

Anyone on this site own one and/or have a recommendation on a breeder?

I don't have any problem paying more of a premium price for a pup that comes from a breeder that puts in the extra value, whether that be from bloodlines, health guarantees, socialization of the pups, exposing the pups to field work/training. But it isn't as easy to find breeder info and reviews as it is for a lab.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm biased so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've yet to see a Griffon that impressed me in the field.

I ran and VC'd my wirehair with one at the NAVHDA Invitational in 2013. To say it was a boot-licker would be an understatement. How that dog earned a VC is beyond me. Apparently the judges saw stuff I didn't.

The Griffs I've been around and hunted with certainly seem like sweet enough dogs. But they are severely lacking drive and desire in the field. I'm not saying all of them are like that -- heck I'm sure there are some serious prodigies out there -- but none of them have held a candle to other pointers when it comes to hunting birds.

Let me ask you this: What about the breed entices you? I know when I was looking for my first dog I did some digging and decided against them. For starters, they're about twice as much for a pup compared with a GSP or GWP. I know that the $$$ of a pup is always the cheapest part of owning a dog, but for the prices I saw you could get a started dog in some places!

I would tell you that for whatever you're looking for out of a Griff, you will get the same and more out of a GWP or GSP.

My TOTALLY BIASED (yet experienced) 2 cents (just making that clear).

- - - Updated - - -

And you're right, breeders are few and far between, especially reputable ones that are breeding for HUNTING dogs and not just confirmation or show arenas. I think that's why they're so damn expensive.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your interested in that style of dog have you looked into the Pudelpointer? My sister had one of these and he was an excellent dog. He was definitely driven and was very good around kids. The shedding was very minimal and his all around demeanor was great. I'm not sure where he came from but I believe it was somewhere in Minnesota. Only been around 1 Griffon and although he was a good field dog he was a little hard headed and overly protective. Hope this helps and good luck in finding a pup! FWIW i have 2 GSP's and love them for about anything.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm biased so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've yet to see a Griffon that impressed me in the field.

I ran and VC'd my wirehair with one at the NAVHDA Invitational in 2013. To say it was a boot-licker would be an understatement. How that dog earned a VC is beyond me. Apparently the judges saw stuff I didn't.

The Griffs I've been around and hunted with certainly seem like sweet enough dogs. But they are severely lacking drive and desire in the field. I'm not saying all of them are like that -- heck I'm sure there are some serious prodigies out there -- but none of them have held a candle to other pointers when it comes to hunting birds.

Let me ask you this: What about the breed entices you? I know when I was looking for my first dog I did some digging and decided against them. For starters, they're about twice as much for a pup compared with a GSP or GWP. I know that the $$$ of a pup is always the cheapest part of owning a dog, but for the prices I saw you could get a started dog in some places!

I would tell you that for whatever you're looking for out of a Griff, you will get the same and more out of a GWP or GSP.

- - - Updated - - -

And you're right, breeders are few and far between, especially reputable ones that are breeding for HUNTING dogs and not just confirmation or show arenas. I think that's why they're so damn expensive.

I have read similar a few times already so I completely believe what your saying. IMO the importance of the breeder and bloodlines would come into play here. It would be hard to discredit a pups drive or instinct from a litter where there is a long line of NAVHDA Champions. I understand nothing is a guarantee and for the most part what you get out of a dog is dependent on what you put into it. But you can only control what you can control.

One of the reasons for leaning toward the Griff is the supposed versatility between field dog and house dog. With a 2 yo daughter at home my bird hunting will be mostly made up of a weekend warrior. Bow hunting will also cut into the bird hunting time.

If I was a single guy or lived the life I did in college and early 20's I don't think the Griff would be at the top of the list. So this will be a family addition and I need to account for the wife and daughter's want's as well.

Focusing on a pup with a coarse coat, the Griff also seems like it might lead to less shedding. My wife is allergic to some dogs, we cant seem to nail down any rhyme or reason for why some bother her and some don't, besides the correlation to hair shedding.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read similar a few times already so I completely believe what your saying. IMO the importance of the breeder and bloodlines would come into play here. It would be hard to discredit a pups drive or instinct from a litter where there is a long line of NAVHDA Champions. I understand nothing is a guarantee and for the most part what you get out of a dog is dependent on what you put into it. But you can only control what you can control.

One of the reasons for leaning toward the Griff is the supposed versatility between field dog and house dog. With a 2 yo daughter at home my bird hunting will be mostly made up of a weekend warrior. Bow hunting will also cut into the bird hunting time.

If I was a single guy or lived the life I did in college and early 20's I don't think the Griff would be at the top of the list. So this will be a family addition and I need to account for the wife and daughter's want's as well.

Focusing on a pup with a coarse coat, the Griff also seems like it might lead to less shedding. My wife is allergic to some dogs, we cant seem to nail down any rhyme or reason for why some bother her and some don't, besides the correlation to hair shedding.

I own two GWPs and have a two kids: a 3-year-old and a 3-month old. To put things in perspective on how they are as family pets, I'd feel safer having my dogs babysit than a teenager from down the street.

I would NOT own dogs that were not family pets first. The fact they each are incarnations of the Four Horsemen of the Birdpocalypse is icing on the cake, IMHO.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will give you my opinion based off my own experiences. I'm married and have a now 6 year old son so having dogs that do well with children is important to me as well. I have 2 labs (8 and 9 yrs old), 1 GSP (3 1/2 yrs old) and 1 GWP (3 1/2 months old). As everyone knows labs are great with kids so I won't talk about them since you seem interested in a pointer. The GSP is a male and in does very well with my son, however he is super hyper when we first get home or he sees someone new but when we are watching tv or lounging inside all he does is jump up on the recliner and curl up in a ball between my legs. He sleeps on our bed at night and always has to be curled up against my wife or I. He is a phenomenal hunter and his drive keeps him going all day. In my opinion he might listen better in the field than my hard headed lab. We just picked up a GWP and so far I'm impressed with his personality/temperament in the house. He isn't the destructive puppy like I expected he would be. Yes he likes to chase the GSP around and play but when he is in the house he loves to just curl up on you and sleep. He is super laid back for a puppy and the old GWPs I've been around are no different. If I was in your shoes I'd go for a GWP and call it a day. They are loyal companions, great with kids and can handle the harsh ND environment. They are versatile as well in that they do upland and waterfowl equally well. Good luck in your search!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife is also allergic to some dogs, specifically Labs and whatnot. One reason we gravitated toward GWPs. She is not allergic to our dogs.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my search I have seen so many different looks and traits between the Griffs, PP, GWP that is seems difficult to just generalize a breed.

DuckSlayer I have seen enough pics of your GWP's that I know that are just as much a family dog as field dog.

Physical characteristics seem to range by quite a bit.

It seems I have a general idea what will work best for the family and I need to start searching for breeders and specific dogs that will seem to be a match of what I am looking for.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my search I have seen so many different looks and traits between the Griffs, PP, GWP that is seems difficult to just generalize a breed.

DuckSlayer I have seen enough pics of your GWP's that I know that are just as much a family dog as field dog.

Physical characteristics seem to range by quite a bit.

It seems I have a general idea what will work best for the family and I need to start searching for breeders and specific dogs that will seem to be a match of what I am looking for.

I hope I didn't come off as an asshole. Or douche. Or douchenozzle. If so, I apologize. I'm pretty damn passionate about dogs and training, so apologies for any brashness.

If you truly want a good Griff, look outside ND and MN and AWAY from the east coast. I'd search west. I believe there are good hunting breeders in Oregon/Idaho/Montana quadrant. In fact, check out versatiledogs.com. It's a forum loaded with V-dog information. There's a pretty strong Griff segment there and you'll wind up getting way more information than you need (or maybe want). I used to participate regularly, but got tired of the round-and-round-and-round we go that happens in just about every thread. In a lot of ways, it's not unlike FBO...except with more pertinent information and fewer girls-in-bikinis calendars.

All I ask is that you don't completely rule out GWPs. There are some darn fine breeders right here in ND.

And if you do like the look of my VC Remy, we're hoping to breed him to my buddies UT PI GWP this winters (she made it to the invitational this fall and missed out on a VC by ONE POINT...UGH). Pretty dog she is. Those pups are going to be CUUUUUTE buggers. And I'll probably be getting a divorce when I come home with one.

Better start hiding my hunting equipment when the lawyers are looking for my half of things...

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope I didn't come off as an asshole. Or douche. Or douchenozzle. If so, I apologize. I'm pretty damn passionate about dogs and training, so apologies for any brashness.

Not at all.

I have my search window far and wide and I haven't ruled out any dog/pup.

All I was getting at with my last post is if a breeder has the stud and bitch, reputation, and characteristics I am looking for I don't care what breed of dog it is.

I have seen GWPs look the same as GSP and also have seen them look more like a tradition "Griff" than what some if the purebred Griffs look like. And obviously there temperaments within the same breed will vary.

So any recommendations on any of the bearded pointers with more of a course coat are appreciated.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A Dentist I shot SC with got his last pup from a breeder in Austria. I would not guess what that pup cost. But he runs his practice about 1/2 time in the fall. Hunted birds in 4 states and 2 Canadian provinces to the tune of 60 plus days. Has an older dog and needed a replacement. Very nice dogs and very good also. If you like I can check with him on the breeder.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had similar experiences as duckslayer with Griffons in the field. I've never seen a more laid back hunting dog in my life. Great dogs with great personality, just no drive to get birds. More like a leisurely walk through the grass.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm really glad you mentioned this on here, I am at the point where I am starting to look for another hunting dog so that I always have one ready to go, and I was looking at the griff as well (wanting a pointer) mostly because my "pointing" lab really has no interest in the point unless it is a treat... my reasoning on the griff was the personality with the family and the longer hair for the winter hunts and GWP and GSP's have always been too high energy for me in the past but my lab acts the same way as was mentioned with the calm and cuddles until someone comes over to visit then he backs his fat ass into the oak table and breaks the leg off (yes that happened the night before thanksgiving) so that being said, this has made me look at the GWP a little more, for me this will be 1-2 years down the road before I actually get a dog, I want my lab to be about 5 yo

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had similar experiences as duckslayer with Griffons in the field. I've never seen a more laid back hunting dog in my life. Great dogs with great personality, just no drive to get birds. More like a leisurely walk through the grass.

Question to you and DSlayer. Of the Griffs you have seen do this, was it a shock to the owner? Did the pup have the bloodlines of dedicated field dogs and come from a selective breeder who focuses on the traits required to succeed in the field?

And did the owner put in the required work?

I am really curious to know. In my mind, I have convinced myself this can be avoided with the proper research and pup selection. There are far more labs in this world that would prefer to sit on the couch or sniff at heels then there are rock stars in the field... but I think anyone would be wrong to think they can't be one of the best bird dogs out there.

There is the flip side to this as well. I know of 3 different acquaintances that had GSP's that had way to much energy to be a nice house dog. One guy gave it away, another lived on a hobby farm so it became more of an outdoor dog with a big outdoor kennel than the living room pet. And the other suffered through it.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question to you and DSlayer. Of the Griffs you have seen do this, was it a shock to the owner? Did the pup have the bloodlines of dedicated field dogs and come from a selective breeder who focuses on the traits required to succeed in the field?

And did the owner put in the required work?

I am really curious to know. In my mind, I have convinced myself this can be avoided with the proper research and pup selection. There are far more labs in this world that would prefer to sit on the couch or sniff at heels then there are rock stars in the field...

Well, as I said, the dog at the Invitational was a worked dog. It takes a LOT to get to that level, and it earned a Versatile Champion title (unsure how that happened, but whatever).

Here's the thing: if you REALLY want to put in the effort, you can get any dog to hunt. I mean, with the right direction, I bet you could force fetch a shitzu. But if the dog doesn't have the DRIVE and DESIRE to do work and find birds, it doesn't matter how much work you put into that dog. You can NOT create drive through training...you can only foster what is already there.

I honestly think Griffs are closer working dogs. Sort of like munsterlanders. Are you going to find the oddball that charges through field and ranges well? Probably. But from what I've gathered this isn't the norm. If that's your thing, great! I personally like my dogs to do the work for me and find the birds.

Plus, as you're finding out, it's a smaller pool to pick from. Griffs aren't a hugely popular breed. There are fewer breeders to pick from, and of those even fewer that are concentrating on traits you're interested in (temperament, biddability, drive, desire to please, etc.) and not ones you don't (breed conformation, color, style, etc.).

Here's a true-to-life scenario for you. My best friend had his heart set on an Irish setter. Beautiful dogs, obviously, but they've been severely tainted by the AKC and the show ring, particularly in North America. He thought he stumbled on a good hunting breeder and bought a pup.

Long story short, he put in way, way more time and effort into that dog than he should have to wind up with a less-than-mediocre hunting dog. She has barely enough desire to get into the field and find birds. Her fetching is pathetic. It breaks my heart to see him plead with that dog to pick up a bird.

He was with me every step of the way in training. The dog just didn't have the goods.

If you do your due diligence, I'm certain you can find a good Griff from a hunting line. Just know that you can't TRAIN in stuff that isn't there. I mean you can to a point, but the dog has to want it, too. Some dogs just don't.

jal1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a griffon he loves to hunt, points, excellent on pheasant and partridge, the only compliant is you will spend an hour or more after the hunt pulling burrs out of his hair. he sure has his silly side, needs lots attention. they do shed some mine is a house dog.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMAG5524.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My griffons are excellent in the field and the house I have 3 kids 9 3 and 2

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent post(s).

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cooter and Jal1 - would you mind sharing where you got your pup and if you'd recommend?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer

"Here's the thing: if you REALLY want to put in the effort, you can get any dog to hunt. I mean, with the right direction, I bet you could force fetch a shitzu. But if the dog doesn't have the DRIVE and DESIRE to do work and find birds, it doesn't matter how much work you put into that dog. You can NOT create drive through training...you can only foster what is already there."

You are absolutely right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28