Your Best Thanksgiving Recipes....

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys with WIVES have it made!!! Luckily I still live close enough to my mother to get in on a good meal occasionally... :;:rockit

Did you lose that new girlfriend already? Maybe be better at boyfriend stuff, and less water softener salty

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys with WIVES have it made!!! Luckily I still live close enough to my mother to get in on a good meal occasionally... :;:rockit

I have a wife and I don't let her cook any big meals. Most of the time we end up going to my parents house. Mom's a better cook anyway. Only time I'm making something for a big meal is when it goes in the smoker.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SDMF

Once while hunting during the week of Thanksgiving we got back to town to find out that the only food available was either more of the sandwiches we'd be making/eating the last 3 days, or, a Pizza Corner Pizza. Hawaiian PCP for Thanksgiving is a fair to middling' feast after a day of nearly frozen cold-cut sandwiches.
buy a couple rotisserie chickens and cut in half down the middle. Vac seal halves individually and freeze. Place bags in boiling water for a few minutes when you want to eat. Did this last thanksgiving while out in MT. We ate like kings and it was easy.

We stay in a hotel with heat, running water, flush toilets, and a shower (alas, no cooking surface), as opposed to living out in the wilderness like a couple of savages, with a cooking surface. (grin)

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
We stay in a hotel with heat, running water, flush toilets, and a shower (alas, no cooking surface), as opposed to living out in the wilderness like a couple of savages, with a cooking surface. (grin)

All you need to bring is a propane burner and a pot. A good way to make breakfast in the morning is to put eggs, cheese, and your other favorite fixings in a ziplock bag, mix it around, and toss it in a pot of boiling water. In a matter of minutes you have a hot omelet.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All you need to bring is a propane burner and a pot. A good way to make breakfast in the morning is to put eggs, cheese, and your other favorite fixings in a ziplock bag, mix it around, and toss it in a pot of boiling water. In a matter of minutes you have a hot omelet.

Another good way is to tell the server you'd like an omelet and let them know what fixin's you'd like.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the Frugal Gourmet cookbook.

Swedish Green Peas with Bacon

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
    • 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
    • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
    • 1 lb split peas, washed and soaked in 6 cups water for 6 hours-overnight
    • salt & freshly ground black pepper
    • 4 tablespoons butter ( 1/2 cube)

[h=2]Directions[/h]
  1. Brown the bacon in a frying pan. Remove the bacon and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add onion and saute until tender.
  2. Drain peas and place in a 4 to 6 quart pot along with reserved bacon and sauteed onions. Add enough water to just cover the peas.
  3. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, about 1 1/2 hours, or until the water is absorbed and the peas are thick. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add more water if necessary.
  4. Stir in salt and pepper to taste and the butter.

My brother makes this every year and it is amazing. The leftovers can be thinned with milk or water to make soup.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
main dish = Butterball Turkey, Side dish = Wild Turkey with some Cajun injections maybe some tators and stuffing

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone ever made twice baked potatoes and finished them in the smoker? Any tips would be appreciated. Planning to give it a shot this year. Half with bacon and half with crab meat.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone ever made twice baked potatoes and finished them in the smoker? Any tips would be appreciated. Planning to give it a shot this year. Half with bacon and half with crab meat.

Wow! I was planning on doing twice baked potatoes also! Finishing them on the grill for some smoky flavor. I have no tips as this will be the first time I have done it. I do know that they are going into a foil pan with foil standing by to cover if necessary. I like the crab meat idea. Might have to steal that one from ya.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smoke grilled turkey, have it in a roasting pan to save the drippings for gravy, slightly smokey and grilled flavor to the gravy on mashed taters is killer. Mashed sweet taters for the wife n kids- peel, chop n boil. Add a stick of real butter, little brown sugar and maple syrup, cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg and cream.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been meaning to post these. I made two types of twice baked potatoes for thanksgiving. One i used venison bacon in and the other i used crab and sprinkled buffalo wing seasoning on. baked them, mixed in all the misc. ingredients needed and finished them in the smoker at 275° the following day. turned out great.

IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0174.jpg

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been meaning to post these. I made two types of twice baked potatoes for thanksgiving. One i used venison bacon in and the other i used crap and sprinkled buffalo wing seasoning on. baked them, mixed in all the misc. ingredients needed and finished them in the smoker at 275° the following day. turned out great.

Interesting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19