2016 ND Deer Opener

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect I'll have the doe tag filled by 12:05, gutted by 12:15 and butchered up by 10ish.

- - - Updated - - -

What fun is it to be done in 5 minutes?? Have never understood that...:;:huh
Also should say I have never had that opportunity to be done that soon....guess some guys have all the luck
Soonest I have ever been done is the following day, and that happened once, so far.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the crosshairs on a couple as my dad waited to give the the go ahead at the 30 minute prior to sunrise mark

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What fun is it to be done in 5 minutes?? Have never understood that...:;:huh
Also should say I have never had that opportunity to be done that soon....guess some guys have all the luck
Soonest I have ever been done is the following day, and that happened once, so far.

Many years ago had a chance to be done in the first 5-10 minutes. Nice buck came out and I decided I could do better if I waited. Waited the whole season and never saw a better one. Filled my tag the last day with a 1 1/2 year old little basket rack.

As I watched that first buck run away I was thinking to myself "He's way better than I'm giving him credit for and as he got out of range I knew that I had made a mistake" You may not want to finish early but keep alert, the first buck you see might be the one you're after. Not every big buck is shot after several days of hunting.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Work all weekend until 1, but will head out after. 14 days of vacation after Monday.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never pass up on the first day, what you'd shoot on the last day.

why don't you pull your lip over your head and swallow.

- - - Updated - - -

Gustafson

- - - Updated - - -

don't mind me, just a bitter non tag holder

- - - Updated - - -

Many years ago had a chance to be done in the first 5-10 minutes. Nice buck came out and I decided I could do better if I waited. Waited the whole season and never saw a better one. Filled my tag the last day with a 1 1/2 year old little basket rack.

As I watched that first buck run away I was thinking to myself "He's way better than I'm giving him credit for and as he got out of range I knew that I had made a mistake" You may not want to finish early but keep alert, the first buck you see might be the one you're after. Not every big buck is shot after several days of hunting.

imo when you see a "shooter" you know immediately. when you have to talk yourself into a deer "he's better than I'm giving him credit for" is usually when you have ground shrinkage. nothing wrong with passing on deer and extending the hunt. I'd hunt every single day of the season if time and money allowed. I just like deer hunting though.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha. My next head mount fund will be for a bow buck. I like deer hunting too, but a successful hunt is more important than just being out there. Especially with the rarity of deer tags these days.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My hunting will be random striped wing flys on my dinning room window.:mad:

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty pleased with the numbers I was able to see last Sat. evening and Sun. morning. Good number of does with twins and very few with no fawns. Lot of small bucks that thought they were pretty important.

Get to hunt with the oldest daughter for her doe on Saturday. With her young families busy schedules, it's MY day with her every year, so can't wait!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rifle hunting for me is to fill the freezer. That's about it.

DITTO!

Our family enjoys venison immensely. But I'm a bird hunter first and foremost. So I'll burn a weekend or two tops to fill my deer tags, but I like those hunts to go quick. Plus I don't have much PTO. So if I get a deer Friday (or maybe even one with my gun and another with my bow) that means I have all day Saturday and Sunday to process them. Then every weekend after until the end of the season I can hit the cattails for roosters.

Win-win-win!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never pass up on the first day, what you'd shoot on the last day.

"if you shoot a small buck you wont shoot a big buck"

ever wonder why 90% of Boone and crocket animals are harvsted by 10% of the population.... if you want a true giant you have to be willing to eat tag soup.

not saying thats what everyone should do just saying thats a fact.
im currently pondering lower my expectations as my wife will be going under the knife nov 10th and will need help at home.

if you hunt hard and smart you will have more than 1 chance at a solid buck.

good luck fellas!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was still hunting my cousins land, I get pretty picky. Where I've hunted the last three years, I really don't care what my 140 gr Nosler Accubond runs into as long as its in line with what my tag says.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
why don't you pull your lip over your head and swallow.

- - - Updated - - -

Gustafson

- - - Updated - - -

don't mind me, just a bitter non tag holder

- - - Updated - - -

imo when you see a "shooter" you know immediately. when you have to talk yourself into a deer "he's better than I'm giving him credit for" is usually when you have ground shrinkage. nothing wrong with passing on deer and extending the hunt. I'd hunt every single day of the season if time and money allowed. I just like deer hunting though.

Oh I knew he was a shooter. Had just convinced myself to not shoot the first buck I saw. Never thought the first deer I saw would be a shooter because that's not the way it usually works. So I started the first day just taking a walk instead of hunting.

esoxpirate

I will be bow hunting during rifle season. I figured for the price it would have cost for a non-resident tag (military) Money would be better spend to drive back to Wisconsin and spend a week hunting and thanksgiving with family Looks like it will be a nice weekend to sit in the stand.

Esox

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As an active duty member, you should be able to get a tag for the same as a resident.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55