A word on CO2

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think its gets much attention but it should.

Our company lost an employee from this while he was out fishing last month. I don't think the incident got any news attention, I will not mention name. Nor do I know where he was at when it happened, all I know is they said he was out fishing, doing something he loved to do.

Point is, most people do not recognize the symptoms. I, for one, when CO is present get real bad headaches, that a wake up sign for me, I get out and get air soon as possible. Feeling sleepy for no reason at all is another one. Having a crack opening in your fish house is always a good idea for ventilation.

I don't have much detail of the situation, all I know it didn't need to happen.

Don't think he was a member of this group be he sure loved fishing, He was from Bismarck and came up to Willston we he had an assignment up here.

Be safe, Be smart guys.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got hit with it well my buddy and I were flying in a small plane. Like you first sign was a headache and then I general feeling of nauseousness and being lethargic. Needless to say we popped the windows and notified the tower that we were coming in with the gas leak in the cockpit which was fun. one of only two times I've gotten followed by a fire truck after landing. Took the better part of a day to a day and a half to be feeling normal again it takes a while to burn out of your system.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know who you are talking about. Grew up in the same church as me. He was a few years younger than myself (All I will say is way too young). Sad deal. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old man and brother had a pretty close call a few winters back. Not in an ice house but in my dads house. The heat exchange on the propane furnace cracked in the night and my dad and brother were out for a good 36 hours. The only thing that saved them was the fact that there was something else wrong with the furnace and it kicked out. They both woke up all confused and nauseous and with terrible headaches. It was way too close of a call. That CO is nasty stuff.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
His name was Elliot and he was one of my best friends. Graduated high school with him and he grew up 2 houses down in Hazen. This happened while fishing in a portable ice house, and a charcoal grill at Wolf Creek. It is quite unfortunate that an accident like this happened. He was a true outdoorsman, and it is mind boggling that something random like this would take down a true sportsman. Sitting in the front row at his funeral as a pallbearer was a true honor. He went peacefully, and went out doing something he loved. If only we could all be this fortunate when our time is up.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guy should really carry a portable CO sensor with when sleeping in any icehouse/camper/motel/rental house etc. I have one plugged in on each floor of my house, but never carry one with me elsewhere, i think i'm gonna start. You just hear way to much of this stuff happening.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss. Didn't something like this happen to a family of 4 from Iowa vacationing in a rental townhouse near Tulum, Mexico just a few weeks back? Mom and Dad and their 2 kids? All dead. Perhaps I am mistaken but thought I recalled it being gas related. Bad deal .

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with CO sensors in an ice house is the cold/humidity. I had mine go off randomly, sitting in the driveway or in the middle of the summer and it won't shut off. Think I threw 2 or 3 away because they only work for a short time. Seems like the cold and humidity ruins them. Anyone else run into this or found a solution?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the same one in my permanent for 3 or 4 years. I know it still works cause it goes off if we need to use a gas auger in it

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
You never use charcoal for heat in a confined space - not even a garage!

campchef

Honored Member
That's a bullet I've dodged 3 times. Ice house, camper, heating the house with the fireplace. The resulting headache is darn near unbearable.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Really? You don’t say. From all of the above and someone dying from it. thank you for such awesome insight into the issue.

I'm a little slow but I didn't realize from the above story that the charcoal grill was the reason for the CO poisoning. I figured it was from running a grill and a heater. I didn't know charcoal is bad to run in confined spaces prior to sl's comment. Hopefully many people can learn from this tragedy and save some lives. Sorry for your loss Taylorman.

I wonder if a typical 4 way monitor would have helped? They typically read carbon dioxide and oxygen content so you would think it could catch the lower oxygen.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a little slow but I didn't realize from the above story that the charcoal grill was the reason for the CO poisoning. I figured it was from running a grill and a heater. I didn't know charcoal is bad to run in confined spaces prior to sl's comment. Hopefully many people can learn from this tragedy and save some lives. Sorry for your loss Taylorman.

I wonder if a typical 4 way monitor would have helped? They typically read carbon dioxide and oxygen content so you would think it could catch the lower oxygen.

CO poisoning is not from the lower O2 content. You breathe the CO into your lungs and it has a greater affinity for the hemoglobin in your red blood cells than oxygen and as a result you become starved of oxygen and you suffocate without knowing that you are not getting oxygen. Almost every appliance other than a gas cooktop produces CO and as a result all are required to be flue piped to the outside.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
That CO in an icehouse is a weird deal. I can tell right away when I start feeling a little woozy. My ole man on the other hand doesn’t seem to feel it at all. I personally would never sleep in an ice house heated by propane. Have heard of way to many close calls and instances where they were not so lucky.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33