Anterior ankle pain

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any remedies for this kind of ankle pain, it's from years of rolling my ankles to the inside. It really sucks when I don't have any shoes on in the house especially when it starts to get cold out. Taking Wilson for walks sucks because I can't walk very far because of the pain to the top of my foot it's like lactic acid build up in your muscles when you over doing it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you taking statins? stretch out your calfs before you start the day. My shorthair did all type of stretching before getting going for the day I always laughed.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I am as well as lisprinol for hbp, I will have to do some stretching before I go on walks thanks short.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I switched to minimalist style shoes about 4 years ago after having a lot of ankle and foot pain. I used to roll them all the time and they would kill after a day on them.

I wear normal hunting boots, but everything else is minimalist. It took some getting used to, but I haven’t had a single foot or ankle issue since.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
statins ruin more stuff. i take statin breaks once it a while to remove pain. Alcohol does no good either. Statins and booze in moderation

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ankle brace, Dr. Scholl's Work Inserts and aspirin. Once an ankle is rolled it's more easily rolled. I know. My last turkey kill in the Hill's resulted in a rolled ankle which morphed into plantar fasciitis. I don't do doctors much. This worked for me over a period of months. My dad died with a belly full of doctor prescribed pills. Not me.

Tangent rant: I pine for the days when drug advertising was illegal on TV and I piss on the bands allowing their songs perverted.

That is all.

870XPRS

Anybody have some good advice for plantar fascitis? I don't have it bad, but it has started in one heel, looking to get it under control before it's worse or something is torn. From reading this forum, i have full confidence that you all know more than doctors and the internet in general. :LOL:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know you and this may not be your situation but being less fat is always the first step for most things. Unfortunately I don't follow my own advice.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have some good advice for plantar fascitis? I don't have it bad, but it has started in one heel, looking to get it under control before it's worse or something is torn. From reading this forum, i have full confidence that you all know more than doctors and the internet in general. :LOL:
Get a insert for your shoe. Now i know guys who spent some major dough on em --- i bought some from target. I had fascitis for months -- the insert stopped it in a couple weeks. Add that with the Mary Jane roll on and your good. Signed Doc Google

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just got over it. Knock on wood.

I first experienced symptoms a year ago. Thought initially injured either by walking on rough terrain (ie plowed fields ??) or doing too much foot/ankle stretching. More is good, right? WRONG IMO stretching that area of the foot made it worse. My pain was mostly in the heel at the end. At first, various areas on the sole of the foot. At its worse it was very painful to even walk say 20 yards.

It went away when I quit doing all stretching of that area of the foot/leg. Also, going stocking foot in the house was a BAD thing. The unsupported/cushioned foot seemed to get worse when going stocking foot.

I was just down with Covid for around a month where I had dramatically reduced my walking/exercising. Perhaps that helped contributed to the healing. ?

I also tried to eliminate/reduce heel strike when walking when the symptoms were the worse. Seemed to help. ?? but not sure.

I wish you well. At times my heel felt like someone was stabbing a knife in there. And repeating the stabbing ....... Ouch! Surprisingly the worse pain was at night, trying to get to sleep in bed.

Signed, Doctor Foot -- no consulting fee for you. : ) Good luck!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunk, I'd suggest looking up plantar fasciitus if I were you. I had it once, I was lucky and it self-resolved. It's annoying as hell while you have it though.
I
Ankle brace, Dr. Scholl's Work Inserts and aspirin. Once an ankle is rolled it's more easily rolled. I know. My last turkey kill in the Hill's resulted in a rolled ankle which morphed into plantar fasciitis. I don't do doctors much. This worked for me over a period of months. My dad died with a belly full of doctor prescribed pills. Not me.

Tangent rant: I pine for the days when drug advertising was illegal on TV and I piss on the bands allowing their songs perverted.

That is all.
I have inserts since i do have plantar fasciitis but only in my right foot, it seems to flair up more especially if I don't drink enough water. My baby sister who is general practitioner nurse asked me what kind of shoes I'm wearing when I go on my walks, since the irritation only effects my feet when I walking for long periods of time. I told her my work boots 🙄 she send me this emoji back when she being nice to me instead of calling me a dumbass. She thinks that its ankle anterior impingement which is caused by scar tissue damage from years of rolling my ankles, when I was in high school I would roll then so bad that they would both turn black and blue, develop baseball size lumps on the outside, and take weeks to heal. Taping them with the pre wrap never held so my coach advised me to shave my legs to my crew socks line. So I could be taped to directly to skin which last much longer and didn't stretch out as fast from sweating through the pre wrap. Now even though I wear lace up over the ankle work boots and leather type hiking boots I can still roll my ankles from walking on small rock, but I don't get the brusing or noticeable swelling. So I brought my slip on tenny shoes that I wear on my feet when I'm in my house or taking Wilson for a short bathroom break when I need to slip on a pair of shoes. I'm going to wear those this morning to see if I have any better luck with mobility and I will make sure to do what short said and make sure I do some light stretching 😉
I regret making fun of the old guys when I was a young whipper snapper full of piss and vinegar when they will preach about taking care of your body when you are young now every injury I have had is slowly causing me more discomfort, I know gaining weight this winter is a big no no so I'm going to break down I buy a treadmill but I need to figure out my ankles and how to remedy my situation.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
During the night, your plantar fascia may shorten as the toes point in sleep, making the first step in the morning excruciating.

10a0102-nighttime-stretching-plantar-fasciitis-boot_1080x.jpg

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went through a whole marathon training cycle with a pretty bad case of plantar fasciitis. Could barely walk on it right away in the morning.

Foam roller, portable massage gun, tennis ball and LOTS of IB.

It went away after I started running like a normal human being again. 70 plus miles a week makes your body do things out of the ordinary. I'm just too dumb to quit.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well just got back from my 15 minute walk with my npo Aaron suggested my no ankle support type shoes, the burning was still there but I was able to walk faster than with my work boots on, yeah yeah I know remember the eye roll emoji, but the big thing is I was to work my ankle better to alleviate the burning muscle build up by flexing my toes down. But the shoes definitely helped with the burning feeling being less intense and getting rid of the burning feeling faster.
Before Wilson the brown boy would look at me like come on old man get the lead out, unhook the plow, or my favorite take put down the hand bag and take the pumps off 🤣.
See in the nda community life is full of things that we can share our experiences that effect all of us whatever that may be. Ailments if not remedy can and will stop us from doing the hobbies we all come to enjoy in our lives.
Thanks everyone for the comments

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I developed Plantar last winter, had it pretty bad . Did some research on line for shoes and bought a pair of Hoka Gaviotas for outside and a pair of oofos sandals for in the house , I am now 100 % good

Boone Caudill

I've suffered ankle and foot pain on the left side for the better part of three years. Felt like a sprained ankle mostly, but the pain would move around the foot area. It's been very painful. I also rolled my ankles a lot hunting and such. I also suffered a lot of plantar fascitus in my 20's.

After several visits to the doc, I got an MRI. Ends up it wasn't a sprain, but a completely torn tibialis posterior tendon. Surgical repairs have not been successful with others in the past. Treatment is either a Arizona brace that completed immobilizes the foot and ankle, or fusing of certain bones in the foot and ankle. Both options serve to stabilize the bones in the foot that are unstable because of the tendon tear. I have the brace - it's hard, clunky, and essentially turns your foot into a flat foot.

Maybe the ankle rolling on mountainsides, badger holes, and plantar fascitus caused all this - maybe not. Maybe it's my tractor-ass.

So, your pain on the top of the foot is very familiar to me............ my advice would be to get a podiatrist to look at your issues closely, and if treatment doesn't work - get that MRI. I'm wishing I would have done it sooner instead of tough-guying it the past three years. Maybe I would still have that functioning tendon and not have to go clomp-clomp every time I jump from the boat onto a dock. Damn near went straight into the water at the DWC this summer because of it..........:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88