Arkansas Green Timber hunt

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanting to take the kid on a green timber hunt down there and take the dog with. A lodge thats decent and good food doesnt have to be fancy. Any one have any guides that they would recommend down there

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have always wanted to experience that. The crapshoot nature of waterfowl hunting and having to book it months in advance would make me nervous. Guess a guy just has to go and hope for the best.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Northern skies has a lodge worth checking out,I've hunted with this outfit spring snows,owner Matt shaur does a great job.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful to get the type of hunt you want. I have a cousin that has gone down there a couple times and his hunts were less than pleasant at times. He was put with 4-6 other shooters and every bird that came in had multiple hits and were essentially shot to shrite. Every gun was shooting regardless of if it was a single, double, and so on. Many of the birds down there already have breeding plumage, but getting a mountable bird not shot full of holes were darn near impossible to get. I'm not sure if taking a youngster into that kind of situation would leave the best impression. Say a beautiful wood duck comes in and you want your kid to be the only one shooting so you can mount it and have a fantastic memory of your hunt down there. Probably not going to happen if in a group of hunters who also paid to pull the trigger. If you want a hunt with just your party, you need to make sure that is understood by your outfitter. Ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS before booking and get references from past clients. That's a long way to go to be disappointed. Good Luck!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful to get the type of hunt you want. I have a cousin that has gone down there a couple times and his hunts were less than pleasant at times. He was put with 4-6 other shooters and every bird that came in had multiple hits and were essentially shot to shrite. Every gun was shooting regardless of if it was a single, double, and so on. Many of the birds down there already have breeding plumage, but getting a mountable bird not shot full of holes were darn near impossible to get. I'm not sure if taking a youngster into that kind of situation would leave the best impression. Say a beautiful wood duck comes in and you want your kid to be the only one shooting so you can mount it and have a fantastic memory of your hunt down there. Probably not going to happen if in a group of hunters who also paid to pull the trigger. If you want a hunt with just your party, you need to make sure that is understood by your outfitter. Ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS before booking and get references from past clients. That's a long way to go to be disappointed. Good Luck!
I have 8 that are going my brother in law and his kid my father in law and my brother and his friend and one other guy who hunts with me every time here. Both boys will be 18. So i know we will be our own group most have a 6 min group size to be private. I have a couple friends that have went down and they have guides they have hunted with so i have a pretty good idea after talking to a few. Figured i would see if any one here had been down with a good guide. The hardest part is finding one that will let you bring your dog as they have to many people show up with dogs that break and just wont listen. If i cant bring the dog its not worth it even if i had to run the dog and not shoot I would do that and let every one else do the shooting. I have found out that some like to call buck brush timber so you have to make sure to specify green timber to get exactly what we want. Also a bunch have hunting but no lodging I dont want to have to stay in a hotel and be the planner for the whole trip. Just want to go shoot ducks and kick back and relax at night. Take a bunch of pics and nice fat mallards to bring home.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been awhile we did both hunts flooded green timber with water, could bring a dog sit on boards in trees stands make sure your vest has handle to grab dog to put on the boards and we wore chest waders. Did duck boat blind brush hunting too all in Arkanasa. Fast birds in trees great callers they would not let us call need quick reactions. Something all avid duck hunters need to try don't remember outfitter. Late December to late January

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84