backup camera

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of getting after market backup/rear view camera for my pickup. I have a second older pickup I use for work, hunting and fishing. Its an 05 f150. Wouldn't mind installing a cheap but good camera for easier trailer hookups etc. Can anyone recommend a decent one. Not looking to spend a ton but again, something reliable? thanks

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought one from Amazon for $25 or so to use on my Bobcat skidsteer. They are so cheap that if you read the reviews you can't go too far wrong.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
DIY? I would have a local electronic shop do the install,best buy in your area? they do a good job in my area bet a boat rigging shop would hook you up,I have used a upfit company in the past in my area for plow trucks and body upfits like dump bodies etc.

just a couple thoughts

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some are wireless I see. Just hook up to license plate and plug into lighter?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some are wireless I see. Just hook up to license plate and plug into lighter?

You tie the transmitter/camera power into the reverse lights then plug the screen into the cigarette lighter port. I have one like that, it made it thought the 1st summer fine but after the 1st winter the screen won't pick up the camera signal and I haven't torn into it to see WTF.

I bought this one and wouldn't buy it again:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDKFH9V/?tag=nodakangler10-20

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked on good ol youtube and found one that is solar and wireless. autovox. Suppose that is any good? Found on just like it on sale for $78. No wiring etc. Just hook to license plate. That part has solar bar. Then mount screen and plug to lighter. Hmmm

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Snow, I will apologize in advance. Sorry! The backup screen in a 2018 Silverado is a piece of junk. If you use any of the lines you will run into anything on the sides. the centerline misses the trailer hitch. Any older Ford has a way better product.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack, but I couldn't resist venting.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Snow, I will apologize in advance. Sorry! The backup screen in a 2018 Silverado is a piece of junk. If you use any of the lines you will run into anything on the sides. the centerline misses the trailer hitch. Any older Ford has a way better product.

No prob zog all the years with GM and now these camera's good grief,never had issues with my factory camera 's on any of my 2 dozen company trucks but never used the reverse lines but boy these new trucks with 13 camera views are something else,not a fan just more shit to go wrong infact the techs in my shop are scratching heads on some vehicles,the new vettes really have issues right out of the shoot this year with all the electronic bullshit,the new vette has a speed bump toggle switch to lift the frint end up a couple inches for speed bumps sensors everywhere causing problems on both cars and trucks.Did you have the shop check out your 2018 camera issue? could be a reprograming issue,simple fix,just a thought.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr likes to stand next to the one vehicle we have without a factory camera and guide me back, she then cranks the handles, hooks up the chains, and secures the hitch, its pretty much a perfect system, unless you guys know of a camera that will do all of that too?

eliminator

Honored Member
I have a f150 and I put one on there---went with a wireless one that is solar powered and have had it on there for about 3-4 years and have not had a bit of problem with it. I use it all the time for boat hookup etc and works great I can't remember the brand and am not in ND right now but I know new it was way less than a hundred bucks.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought mine from Fleet Farm 3 yrs ago. Not a problem so far. They provide plenty of light in the dark, backing up to a trailer.

I have a hot wire hook up to backup light.

I see there on sale for 39.00

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought this one a few days ago. Really good reviews on Amazon and impressive videos on YouTube. Haven't had time to hook it up yet but it looks like a quality product when I opened it up on arrival. Bought a 40' extension cable because I want to mount it on the back of my 5th wheel camper to keep an eye on my boat as I go down the road and also to help when hooking up the boat or a trailer. Comes with a 23' cable that should get you to the back of most vehicles. Hope it works as good as the YouTube videos show. Amazon has a $20 coupon available that you just click on and it drops the price on your order. Going to plug it in today or tomorrow to see what the picture looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DF94H7D/?tag=nodakangler10-20

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr likes to stand next to the one vehicle we have without a factory camera and guide me back, she then cranks the handles, hooks up the chains, and secures the hitch, its pretty much a perfect system, unless you guys know of a camera that will do all of that too?

well you could put a camera on her doing all that, perhaps in a bikini... the internet will reward you.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2018 seems to work fine, but I am usually mostly done backing when I remember it is there, doh...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
poor mrs johnr....few buddies allow wives/GF on fishing trips...ones that do try to bump them in to the water as driver is backing up which makes for an unpleasant experience and usually the last time the gal asks to tag along,that or when the boat trailer is afraid of the water and does the jack-knife a yelling match ensues making it awkward at the launch,again last couple trip.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
poor mrs johnr....few buddies allow wives/GF on fishing trips...ones that do try to bump them in to the water as driver is backing up which makes for an unpleasant experience and usually the last time the gal asks to tag along,that or when the boat trailer is afraid of the water and does the jack-knife a yelling match ensues making it awkward at the launch,again last couple trip.

Last thing a guy should ever do is turn into a jackass when the wife is along and helping.
Took me a couple wives and a few years to learn that. I can now sit in the boat at the ramp and smile knowing my beautiful bride will expertly back down the trailer for me to load the boat unto, because we practiced, and I held my tongue.

Nothing better than the satisfaction of watching all these guys at the ramp with the wife holding a rope while they run up to get the trailer backed in, then getting out of the pickup and jumping back into the boat to load it. All the while I am sitting finishing an ice cold Busch light and my woman is handling the shit like a champ.

Life has been good to me, and I sincerely think it is a all because of a bit a patience, and a quality woman.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nicely said johnr,so your saying your wife is like one of the guyz eh? good for you,I have yet to see a woman master the art of driving let alone backing a trailer up,these new trucks with camera's take the guess work out of it,they even have a jack knife alert on GM trucks maybe ford to by now?

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife can back the trailer down the ramp! (Said with great pride)

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
When we bought our first boat I asked my wife if she wanted to learn to back down the ramps or be in the boat , she picked the pickup and ramp , that was 31 yrs ago and it has worked beautifully ever since , even watched her berate a couple guys that tried to cut in line when thunderstorms were coming in , at the end of it , they moved to the back of the line where they should have been .

I don't think they thought a little 5'1 110lb would give them any shit , wrong they were

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28