Battery Storage

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me it was boat in the garage for the winter and the on board charger plugged in the whole time... no problems this year with batteries as a result of being plugged in while sitting. Battery charger is designed for it to be plugged in indefinitely. 20180801_131400.jpgScreenshot_20180801-152845_Drive.jpg

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
^^^ What he said! The NOCOs are one of the best "smart chargers" on the market. A smart charger is specifically designed to get you the most life from your deep cycle batteries through it's multi-step charging process. I've got the 3-bank model and feel comfortable leaving it hooked up and charging unattended as long as needed.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Iam not going to jinx myself by saying something. I don't want to be replaceing batteries next spring.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
back in the day when I went to egf tech for diesel mech. the electrical teacher said best way to store a battery was fully charged and cold. also said the battery on cement was a myth but I never set a battery on cement just because.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't remember where, maybe either Eide or Cedric Theel, but there's a poster out there that talks about how long one should expect a car battery to last. I used to think that the cold was hard on them, but according to the poster the batteries suffered a lot more in the south where it gets hot. 3-4 years expected life if I remember right.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't remember where, maybe either Eide or Cedric Theel, but there's a poster out there that talks about how long one should expect a car battery to last. I used to think that the cold was hard on them, but according to the poster the batteries suffered a lot more in the south where it gets hot. 3-4 years expected life if I remember right.
They last one day longer than the warranty.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the olden days they would pull the battery from the car and bring it in for the winter . If there was an urgent need to go to town in the winter they put the battery back in and put a hot ash pan under the motor. I wonder how they charged batteries before they got electricity ? Probably didn't and the reason they had to pull the car with the team to start it.

Batteries have came a long way , I see they are designing electric 18 wheelers.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
they used to drain the oil and bring that in too

no lie

unreal

they used to pull the tires and bring those inside so they wouldn't develop flat spots

no lie

- - - Updated - - -

they used to drain the oil and bring that in too

no lie

unreal

thinking that was only if you were Bohunk or Norski --- but not sure

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always thought that being in my unheated 20-40 degree garage all winter (in my boat) was better for the batteries than being in my 70 degree basement. As for leaving them outside in -20 temps......not so sure I would do that.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
those that think leaving them plugged into your on board charger all winter in your garage best be aware of coming home to your garage smelling like acid and filled with smoke. Happened just three houses down from me. Yes it was an onboard charger in the boat during the middle of winter. Onboard charger failure i'm guessing.

I always topped my batteries off prior to storage and either left them outside in the boat when i didn't have enough garage space or left them in the boat in the garage if I did have the space. I never left them plugged into the charger. If I had access I'd plug them in periodically to check on the charge. Never did the batteries need much of a charge to top off again. If you are unsure of a battery draining during storage, unhook the wires from one terminal of the battery. I always did this as I did not have a master switch.

Take care of your batteries. Plug them in ASAP when you get home from the lake/river. Plug them in anytime you have used them so that they can get back up to full charge AS soon AS Possible. I always did this even before I took a knife to the fish.

Doing all this gave me much more service life from my batteries than what i had heard others were getting out of theirs. Baby them, it will be worth it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bought a used golf kart in early 2000. same battery today, never taken in, sat in unheated building in kart, no charger on for winter or to start the season and i believe i might have check the water once or twice but each spring I did wipe the corrison off the terminals with baking soda. Never fail.

A few weeks ago bought new interstate for bike. One month later dead, took back and bad cell.

Each battery to its own
Battery on wood was told as concrete sucks juice out plus acid from battery eats concrete db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93