Big Muddy Tournament Date

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since the title of this thread is about the Big Muddy. Tell me what positives for fishing in general come out of holding the Big Muddy tournament based out of Bismarck on the Mo river in early May?

It doesn't help relations between tournament and non-tournament anglers to bring in more folks to help plug up already very busy ramps.

I can't imagine it helps relations between folks who have river-front property and fisher-people.

It doesn't help relations between shore-fisherpeople and boat fisher-people which is exceptionally strained @ that time of yr since it's the best fishing the shore-fisherpeople will experience all season.

So again, what's the positive to fishing in general that the Big Muddy provides?

My question would be, why do any of the guys that fish the Big Muddy have to justify why they fish to you or anybody else? Why do they have to prove their worthiness to be able to fish a tourney. A lot of the guys that fish the Big Muddy do a lot of little things to make things better on the water. They just don't beat their chests about it and require credit about being good guys (Pulling people off of sandbars, helping new guys on the river find fish, helping a guy who has had a breakdown to the ramp and helping load a guy when the wind is bad. Plus a shit load of things that they have never needed credit for). Your approval is not needed.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
my question would be, why do any of the guys that fish the big muddy have to justify why they fish to you or anybody else? Why do they have to prove their worthiness to be able to fish a tourney. A lot of the guys that fish the big muddy do a lot of little things to make things better on the water. They just don't beat their chests about it and require credit about being good guys (pulling people off of sandbars, helping new guys on the river find fish, helping a guy who has had a breakdown to the ramp and helping load a guy when the wind is bad. Plus a shit load of things that they have never needed credit for). Your approval is not needed.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF show me on your doll where the big bad tournament guys hurt you. If you don’t like them don’t fish them, it’s that easy. I don’t see any reason to belittle the ones that do.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not having to deal with the tournament bullshit I'm sure I'll use Grahams Island ramps/fish the W end of Devils more often this upcoming summer.

- - - Updated - -

If you do use Grahams more you will just find more to bitch about. Blue platers taking up the ramp,can't back, don't know how to drive, blast hanging around the ramp area, etc. That's just ot Clay; you can find anything negative in fun and find alot to bitch about. Nothing will ever meet your standards or meet your criteria. Any inconvenience to you automatically makes said activity or those that are performing the activity bs or idiots.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve never stated that anyone at all needs or ought to seek my approval.

Tournaments (and their accompanying week-worth of pre-fishing) make fishing less fun for the rest of the boating/fishing public. It’s not the traffic, it’s the attitude. Tournament fisher-people are in their own somewhat organized echo-chamber. I’m far from the only person who despises the bulk of what tournaments bring to fishing (hunting too for that matter), but, the non-tournament anglers don’t have an organization to speak for them, in fact, that would run counter to what the enjoy about fishing to begin with.

Ugly Dogs, I’ve given away more fishing gear/tackle than most folks own. I’ve given away my spare spark plugs when someone needed them more than me. I’ve cleaned fish for folks who didn’t know how and were getting essentially nothing from the few fish they had. I fed-ex’s a map with spots marked to a couple of guardsmen I went to school with when I received a PM asking for some general info. I’ve never had the opportunity to pull a boat off of a bar or back to the ramp, but I would.

Just for the record, while we may disagree vehemently about tournaments, AaronJ also know he could call/text me with just about any want/need and I’d drop pretty much everything to get it done. I once even bought a bunch of bait for ‘Sconi tournament fishermen who were staying with him. That doesn’t diminish the fact that I don’t enjoy running through the middle of a glorified boat race nor dealing with any of the tournament day boat ramp goatfuckery.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this has been a pretty humorous read. Some tourney anglers have gotten butt hurt by SDMF, but at the same time they would be the first to recognize that adding prize money to fishing has brought out the worst in people (dog kennels, etc).

I am not going to say that all tourney anglers are shitty people, nor are all guides as I've guided a couple days and have even thought about taking the easy money at other times. But I've lived and fished in ND long enough to have had plenty of my share of run-ins with tourney anglers and guides who didn't like my catch and keep of a perfectly legal limit. Similarly, I've been on the shitty end of a number of snotty comments from tournament anglers in the pre-fishing days up to a tournament of "that'd be a money fish for me if'n you'd have let it swim away", or having a guide lament I was fishing "his spot" simply because he must have laid claim to it on the days before I found it and I clearly missed the signs.

Then again, I too was wondering WTF as just a couple of boats of weekend warriors were long-lining jigs and spinners through a 50 boat parade of vertical jiggers at Hazelton this past weekend. Luckily, even my kids were like "let's go somewhere else" and tolerated a lengthy ride to some other active fish.

I for one, can't wait for the weather to open up some more fishing hotspots. Right now there's only a few decent places to chase walleyes (that I am aware of) within 60 miles of Bismarck and each spring it gets more and more congested.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the kids and I had fresh walleye for dinner tonight. It was fantastic!

Try to keep the rewards of why fish in mind as we go forward.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if the Big Muddy will use heavier baskets... maybe 5 lb baskets, so they can make the "big sticks" look better since the fishing will be a lot tougher that time of the year. That way, when they measure everyone's big fish, a 3 lber looks like and 8 lber!

I fish some tournaments, but the Big Muddy does not deserve the praise some give it. Any tournament that doesn't provide their payout information is a b.s. tournament and seems a little sketchy. We no longer fish it... and I don't miss it. I really don't miss the guy doing the announcing during the rules meeting and the weigh-in telling everyone over and over how "this is the best ran tournament in the state"... lol

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if the Big Muddy will use heavier baskets... maybe 5 lb baskets, so they can make the "big sticks" look better since the fishing will be a lot tougher that time of the year. That way, when they measure everyone's big fish, a 3 lber looks like and 8 lber!

That’s funny right there!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing tourneys bring out the worst in fisherman. Every single fishing tourney has cheating going on.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most problems associated with fishing tournaments would be eliminated if the total value of the prize package were limited to less than $500. You could still have the camaraderie and competition while losing most of the dickheads.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long can they stay alive in a dog kennel?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most problems associated with fishing tournaments would be eliminated if the total value of the prize package were limited to less than $500. You could still have the camaraderie and competition while losing most of the dickheads.

How many lose their fuggin' mind over "$1 each for 1st, biggest, most" in a boat or 2 with just buddies?

I'll tell you what would be an OUTSTANDING idea: A Chastity/Abstinence competition for Tournament Anglers. Try to "Flatten the Curve" and "Stop the Spread".

Maybe ND G&F should start a lottery system for tournament permits, similar to big game hunting. They could have a preference point system and everything. $500 non-refundable to apply for a tournament lottery. $5K directly to G&F if an organization wins a lottery slot. 75% of the entry fees go to G&F, the other 25% goes to administration and prizes.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new H2H format is interesting to watch and eliminates cheating. I could watch more of that.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new H2H format is interesting to watch and eliminates cheating. I could watch more of that.

NOTHING eliminates ALL cheating you DOLT!

If you put Ghandi, the Pope, Nelson Mandella, and the Dali Lama all in a Fishing Tournament, 3:4 would cheat.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOTHING eliminates ALL cheating you DOLT!

If you put Ghandi, the Pope, Nelson Mandella, and the Dali Lama all in a Fishing Tournament, 3:4 would cheat.

Not sure how you cheat with a full time camera on you and an official in your boat the whole time. You'd have to be one sly fox.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how you cheat with a full time camera on you and an official in your boat the whole time. You'd have to be one sly fox.

Same way one would go about cheating at about anything else. You're fooling yourself if you don't think that there's some MAJOR allure to be the "official" in the winning boat. If the offer of the bright lights of fame fail, $$ usually works.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same way one would go about cheating at about anything else. You're fooling yourself if you don't think that there's some MAJOR allure to be the "official" in the winning boat. If the offer of the bright lights of fame fail, $$ usually works.

They rotate officials/camera people. You’d have to deep state the hell out of it for that $5,000 purse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33