Boat cleaner

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will a vinegar/water solution also take care of iron deposits? I was bequeathed my grandfather's boat, which spent a lot of time simply floating in an iron-stained lake in northern Minnesota. It has a pretty good rim of red where the water line is. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to scrub it down and throw a coat of wax on there before this open-water season.

On that note, what sort of wax/finish do people recommend? And is it as simple as wax-on, wax-off? I think I've waxed a vehicle once in my entire life, and it was a 1994 Geo Prizm. I'm a noob to the ways of boat beautification.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will a vinegar/water solution also take care of iron deposits? I was bequeathed my grandfather's boat, which spent a lot of time simply floating in an iron-stained lake in northern Minnesota. It has a pretty good rim of red where the water line is. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to scrub it down and throw a coat of wax on there before this open-water season.

On that note, what sort of wax/finish do people recommend? And is it as simple as wax-on, wax-off? I think I've waxed a vehicle once in my entire life, and it was a 1994 Geo Prizm. I'm a noob to the ways of boat beautification.

Maybe CLR but I truly have no idea. I bought a variable orbital buffer this spring but have yet to sit down and use it. Otherwise it was just the wax pad and swirl on, then towel off.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
the vinegar and water solution is great for "water spots" however for that crud/scum that's built up on the bottom of a boat especially if it sits in a lift or slip all summer I have found that this works well:

HD_542_US.jpg

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
"The works" will work for you and it does not damage clear or gel coat. I detail boats, cars, semis for a living and i use the works in the shop on all of the boats that come through. Just try not to get it on any carpet, skin. And dont breath too much of it i

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used the Works on my Mercury motors as that black really shows water stains. It always made them look like new. Scrub them down real good and hose them of with fresh water when done. I also used it on a fiberglass boat I owned to get the water stains off. It seams after a year of fishing usage, it would get a water line on it. That stuff cleaned that up nice as well.

Fish On!

sniper

I use CLR and glass cleaner by putting CLR on a sponge and wipe the boat down with it and then spray glass cleaner on it and wipe away.
This took all of Devils Lake water spots off.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only gripe with vinegar is the damn smell of it. Something about the smell of three day old, sun-baked piss that turns me off.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ive heard that vinegar smells like mouse piss for days.

Fish On!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your not a fan of the vinegar bath. Ducky is great for water spots. Makes a black Merc look brand-new

Smuscha

Boat bling makes a product for both glass and alum and it works very well. I use the stuff for glass all over in mine. Smells good too

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
substitute muriatic acid for vinegar for no odor (dilute properly of course)

- - - Updated - - -

My only gripe with vinegar is the damn smell of it. Something about the smell of three day old, sun-baked piss that turns me off.

I'm not gonna ask why you know that smell

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 75
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31