Costa Rica Bill fishing

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone on here done an offshore bill fish trip out of Costa Rica fishing the FADS (fish attracting device) thru any charters down there. If so any good or bad experiences. Thanks

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of it, always did tradition way sounds interesting.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duk help me with the basics. Best way to get to beach area from san jose airport? Where u fishin out of?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can look up Costa Rica FAD fishing for bill fish and look at the different resorts. We are in the process of setting up and looking at it now. Some of the charters provide transportation from airport to their resort and back. Rental cars are available there also. I looked at about 7 different ones. During the best days down there, they have days with up to 40+ encounters a day with bill fish. Many different options. My brothers goes down there a lot for work and there is a lot of other things to do. Zip lines thru jungle, white water rafting, 4 wheel drive trails and many other in shore fishing options. We are looking at a off shore trip. We are looking at 3 night 2 day trip. This is one example of options
Caribsea 46' Guthrie

• Classic 46' Guthrie Sport Fishing boat with excellent history
  • Fish with Capt. Glen Morales Campos & his fantastic crew
  • Excellent tackle: Shimano & Penn reels, Custom rods
  • Air-conditioning, hot water, full kitchen & bathroom
  • Full safety equipment, life-raft, life-jackets, flares, first-aid
  • Radar, GPS, Fish-Finder, AIS system, Radio, Satellite phone
  • Maximum 4 Anglers for FAD trips

Trip Includes

• 3 meals per day, fresh fruit, snacks, bottled water, soft drinks, beers
  • All fishing tackle, bait, ice, fuel
  • Comfortable sleeping quarters for 4 Anglers
  • Air-conditioning, hot water, full bathroom
Multi day FAD/Seamount trips aboard 46' Caribsea:
2 Nights/1 Day Fishing = US$4,500
3 Nights/2 Days Fishing = US$7,500
4 Nights/3 Days Fishing = US$9,500

you leave in the afternoon, chug all night out to fishing area, fish 1, 2, or 3 sun up to sundown and chug back the last night.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
that amount is divided by the amount of people in group not that amount per person. Everything is provided. For me a once in a lifetime trip.
Oh thought it was per person. Still pretty steep for 1 day fishing IMO but if you got the money why not spend it sounds like a blast

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what their operating costs are for a 1 day trip? If the odds are high for getting into fish on a once in a lifetime trip then might not be so bad, it's not like they are just traveling across Devils Lake or Sak. If pretty much all you have to do is hop on the boat and pack clothes and other amenities you want then I don't think you are doing so bad. I will be interested to hear about and see photos from your trip.
I like doing as many things as possible for myself but I am learning that some things either aren't possible by myself, opportunities are getting more limited, specialized/the correct equipment isn't cheap either especially for once in awhile use, or I don't have a ton of time to spend figuring things out so some things are just going to cost me a little extra money.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moons ago dad took me down for sail fishing not with new FAD setup the ole trolling method the water can get a rolling I remember.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
46' footer is going to cost some cash i assume -- doesnt seem unreasonable if you divide it down and the fact that it is room and board.

My q is rental car or shuttle --- the older i get the more i like to have a driver especially in another country. I am sure once i drove out of san jose i would be good but who knows.

Vision a few years back in the middle of nowhere (we were diving cenotes) in the yutacan ran into 4 guys with aks in the woods. I have an open container and sitten up front with the driver. Not understanding one word. Driver told me later they were some type of federally looking for drugs. He bs'd with them and they let us through without checking us. As John anderson says in his song - "let somebody else drive"

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus, the one day fishing package is more than I spent on 17 days in Africa with airfare and lodging

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I'll ask. What precisely is a "FADS".
Had to google it myself.

What are FADs?​

Fish Aggregating Devices (FADs) are man-made, usually floating wooden structures with hanging nets to attract fish. These rafts can either be free floating (known as drifting FADs or dFADs) or anchored to the seabed (known as anchored FADs or aFADs).

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Impressively affordable.

But no guide fees because you had SA friends w boats etc., correct?
True, but even a 10 day guided Guyana peacock bass/arapaima trip is 5-6 grand with food & lodging. I'm guessing they're going way off shore and burning 1500-2k in fuel.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus, the one day fishing package is more than I spent on 17 days in Africa with airfare and lodging
He's safe from Ebola and his penis is not going to turn into jerky after a few days pissing hot orange Jell-o after Le Monjello's wife's bat pate' and locust chip snacks. Get real Man!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1716033283864.jpeg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just booked a 28' boat to take a buddy and I out of cabo for 445$ per day. We bring our own food/drink, catch our own bait, clean our own fish if we choose to keep any. Plan is to target tuna and marlin.

Follow these pages on facebook, lots of good info on charters and where & when to go

Attachments

costa.png
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 254
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 85