Deer Rut 2018

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thanks to all for sharing live shots from this year

gets the old ticker pumping : )

Lots of great memories from past deer hunts.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

Family deer antlers.jpg
Last edited:

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a young 4x4 that had a doe bedded down today n when I drove by he chased her like a fat chick chasing the ice cream truck!

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taking to a client of mine today and he rattled in a 130's class buck yesterday. Stuck him at 9 yards. He said that the buck wanted to fight the decoy bad.

I am more excited for this season then any other deer season, my son has his first buck tag. I basically have been waiting for this season for 14 years.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw some mulies pushing does around this morning. Not getting crazy or anything but rounding them up.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched 2 bucks (140 class and a 130 class) fight today for about 5 minutes. When the bigger one was done putting a ass whipping on the little one he moved the doe in to the trees. Then later in the day we watched a very good buck (high 150's) on land that we can't hunt running with 12 does and fawns. His neck was very swollen and was in the rear of those does making sure none of them got away (A true cock's man). The one buck that our group did shoot yesterday (130's) was very swollen and we bumped into him yesterday in mid afternoon when he was just out cruising for does.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I see is BONE in that pic jtl1985, Damnnnnnnn nice work! Congrats and good luck topping him!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mule deer around me were rutting pretty good tonight. Saw a few muley bucks singling out does and following them around. Also saw 3 WT bucks (mature but not great) that were on the prowl, but none were tending any does.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
take a look at his neck
Lang?

- - - Updated - - -

Hunted around Washburn this weekend. I had more fun watching the bucks push around does and smaller bucks than I did shooting my doe. I need to go back and clean some coyotes out though.
2ED246D3-EE43-418C-B3B9-2BA70E4C6B07.jpg

Last edited:

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a buck breed a doe this morning. He was on the edge of a standing sunflower field with 9 does and he separated this one doe from the group and did his thing. I thought about clapping after it was over with. I called the land owner to get permission but he said that he isn't giving permission until his grandson's have filled their tags which I respect.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The buck I tagged came by hot on the trail of a doe that was zipping through the trees at high speed. She was running like her tail was on fire, and he wasn't letting her get away! Punched my tag at 12:10 pm, making it officially the fasted deer season I've ever had.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only opportunity I considered was a 120ish 4x4 standing with a doe. He was 450yds off the road and it would've been easy enough to step into the ditch and shoot him. However, my 9yr old daughter was along and I thought she'd enjoy a stalk and a much closer opportunity, so, I drove down the road 1/2Mi and got to a spot I was sure I could put a stalk on and get to under 200yds. We'd taken a bit of time making sure kiddo had the right clothes etc and unfortunately, someone else decided to try and shoot him from the road and the deer ran in the opposite direction from us. That's all part of public land hunting. I'm only disappointed that it would have been a cool experience for kiddo, the size of the deer wasn't of any significance.

I saw 2.5-3.5yr old deer chasing does, didn't see anything bigger or with any age to them running does this weekend on public or private land.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only opportunity I considered was a 120ish 4x4 standing with a doe. He was 450yds off the road and it would've been easy enough to step into the ditch and shoot him. However, my 9yr old daughter was along and I thought she'd enjoy a stalk and a much closer opportunity, so, I drove down the road 1/2Mi and got to a spot I was sure I could put a stalk on and get to under 200yds. We'd taken a bit of time making sure kiddo had the right clothes etc and unfortunately, someone else decided to try and shoot him from the road and the deer ran in the opposite direction from us. That's all part of public land hunting. I'm only disappointed that it would have been a cool experience for kiddo, the size of the deer wasn't of any significance.

I saw 2.5-3.5yr old deer chasing does, didn't see anything bigger or with any age to them running does this weekend on public or private land.

Thats the whole bad thing about public land, you spot something first, do a stragedy to get closer, along comes rambo who thinks they can nail the thing at 400+ yards, ruins your day...smh. Kinda in the same situation, farmer I got to know, that I hunted his land BEFORE he turned into plots...guess what...everybody and their dog knows about and opening weekend I counted at least 6 trucks including mine and spotted one guy walking, I was sitting at a well site at on the edge of the plots, he saw me sitting there, so he kneels down and start glassing me with his binos.....lol......thats the bad thing about plots is all I have to say, I'm looking for private land to hunt as I speak.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats the whole bad thing about public land, you spot something first, do a stragedy to get closer, along comes rambo who thinks they can nail the thing at 400+ yards, ruins your day...smh. Kinda in the same situation, farmer I got to know, that I hunted his land BEFORE he turned into plots...guess what...everybody and their dog knows about and opening weekend I counted at least 6 trucks including mine and spotted one guy walking, I was sitting at a well site at on the edge of the plots, he saw me sitting there, so he kneels down and start glassing me with his binos.....lol......thats the bad thing about plots is all I have to say, I'm looking for private land to hunt as I speak.

I dunno...I'm ok with folks doing what they do on public. My experience on the slice of public heaven I hunt is that nobody hunts like I do. Everyone walks. From noon Friday there were guys walking (during the rut on a cold, winter day when the deer were moving already...makes zero sense, but what do I know). I take advantage of that. Except for a rare few hunters, nobody walks in as far as I do because nobody wants to drag a dear out that same distance. If there aren't any hunters, the deer come by on the ancient trails that have been walked for generations and resemble single-track dirtbike trails more than game trails at this point. Even the scrape locations seldom move far from year to year! Then if hunters are around doing pushes, I still see deer because it's a natural escape corridor and funnel. Either way, it's worked for me for the past 16 years. I've even had hunters come by on the hill right behind me, and 15 minutes later shot a deer skirting the opposite direction through the woods that he likely never even saw.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't see much for rut activity (whitetails) where we hunt. The does and bucks were still alone. The mulie I shot had 6 does and a fork horn with him. 2018 RIFLE.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33