DIY liquid propane transfer

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
It looks like about $200 to get fittings and hose to fill my own 20# tanks. Anyone have input or experience? Thx

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way cheaper, especially with the summer fill programs. And no worries about having to have updated tanks to take in and get filled. And you can have a full tank anytime you want, instead of taking along 2 tanks if you have one that may or may not get you by for the day. Have done it for years, and actually the older tanks work better and fill faster than the new ones because of different valves.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will make that up in no time. I haven’t filled a bottle at a station in years so I don’t know what they charge now. A 20 lb bottle holds 5 gallons of liquid so it’s around $5 in propane in it. I’m assuming it’s probably around $20 to fill at the station. It will work best when your big tank is warm and full and your 20s are cold. I usually fill mine in late summer or early fall and a buddy brings his over so we will at least 12 to 14 tanks.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That seems damn high considering all you need for your house tank is a T and a valve. So the expensive piece would be the fitting to an OPD valve. I have a hose/fitting setup for my propane blower/heater. Just thinking about that one could take that and use it to fill with because it has an OPD fitting on it. Just have to set it up with quick disconnects on the hose/tank/blower. I would think this would be the most expensive fitting? https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fittings/acme-fittings/1-516-acme-opd-x-14-fnpt/

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will make that up in no time. I haven’t filled a bottle at a station in years so I don’t know what they charge now. A 20 lb bottle holds 5 gallons of liquid so it’s around $5 in propane in it. I’m assuming it’s probably around $20 to fill at the station. It will work best when your big tank is warm and full and your 20s are cold. I usually fill mine in late summer or early fall and a buddy brings his over so we will at least 12 to 14 tanks.

Never been more than $10 when I fill at cenex. Heck, you can trade in and get a new full tank at Menards for like 15.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never been more than $10 when I fill at cenex. Heck, you can trade in and get a new full tank at Menards for like 15.

I think I paid around $11 last time at our local Cenex. Convenience would be the major factor if you go thru a lot. I only burn up about 4 20# per year for cooking along with a couple more for camping/fishing. But I don't live in the great white north either!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've done it for years. Damned handy. I think the gas man sold it to me for about 80 bucks but that was 25+ years ago.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just filled 12 1# tanks from a 20# tank.
1# tanks are about 5-6$ now if you can even find them.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I filled a 20# tank at the truck stop a couple weeks ago it was $16. I wouldn't mind filling my own tanks........but the person who's tank I would be filling mine from probably wouldn't like it. ;)

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always done this on our farm too. Had the propane company put a valve on the tank when they brought it out. Then they screwed on a hose with another valve on the end of the hose that screwed to the tank. Just loosen the screw on your small tank to let the air out and when it spits liquid propane, it is full. We always shut off the valve on the big tank when not using it, just in case the hose got a leak or someone would turn the valve on the end of the hose.
I think I was around 6-8 years old when my Dad had our first propane tank set up this way, so that would have been in 1960-1962. When we sold our farmstead i had another setup on one of our 3 big propane tanks to fill the smaller tanks.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Why? It’s pretty simple and easy. I trust my ability more than I trust some random dude at the c-store.
I worked for a couple of farmers who had propane conversion on tractors and vehicles. I’m comfortable with that part too

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meth people would love it if you had the hose hanging and ready for them. Lol

Fill the 1# bottles all the time from a 20#.
Warm 20# - cold 1#

strikemaster8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meth people would love it if you had the hose hanging and ready for them. Lol

Fill the 1# bottles all the time from a 20#.
Warm 20# - cold 1#
Why would meth people like that? You must be thinking of NH3 instead. They take the propane tanks and empty them out and fill with anhydrous

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Light them up baby, LIGHT THEM UP. Small mushroom cloud where meth lab was would be awesome.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
That seems damn high considering all you need for your house tank is a T and a valve. So the expensive piece would be the fitting to an OPD valve. I have a hose/fitting setup for my propane blower/heater. Just thinking about that one could take that and use it to fill with because it has an OPD fitting on it. Just have to set it up with quick disconnects on the hose/tank/blower. I would think this would be the most expensive fitting? https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/fittings/acme-fittings/1-516-acme-opd-x-14-fnpt/
2 brass valves/fittings adds up I think

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been filling my 20 & 30 lb tanks for 20-years off my house tank. Works great, super easy and convenient, a quarter of the price of filling in town; really there is no downside other than the stuff stinks when you get it on your hands. I'd recommend good pair of rubber gloves to go along with your valve and fill hose!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33