DL recreational center Vote NO!

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might have to go check that place out in Williston. Looks cool.

I wish they would have shared the cost needed to upkeep current facilities. By no means is it what a new facility would cost but the number is high from (take it for what it is) a Park Board Member told me. How will they come up with the funds to upgrade the current facilities without the sales tax increase (again over 60% coming from tourism). Something they will probably need to look into.

But after this vote I hope they raise property tax.:;::;:sorry:;:stirthepot

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The architect don't get 2.5 million before it's built. That's plain silly and an astronomical price for some drawings. The 2.5 million figure comes from 12% of the expected final cost of the project. 6% to the general contractor and 6% to the architect.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The architect don't get 2.5 million before it's built. That's plain silly and an astronomical price for some drawings. The 2.5 million figure comes from 12% of the expected final cost of the project. 6% to the general contractor and 6% to the architect.

That's a relief , I thought it sounded mighty high.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no dog in this fight but it seems like communities rarely regret building these types of things. Can't argue with trying to get the most bang for the buck though.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might have to go check that place out in Williston. Looks cool.

I wish they would have shared the cost needed to upkeep current facilities. By no means is it what a new facility would cost but the number is high from (take it for what it is) a Park Board Member told me. How will they come up with the funds to upgrade the current facilities without the sales tax increase (again over 60% coming from tourism). Something they will probably need to look into.

But after this vote I hope they raise property tax.:;::;:sorry:;:stirthepot
hey downrigger ask your know it all why they built an outside/eventually inside hockey rink with all the plumbing? Ask them isn't that waste of money ;:;banghead ::thinking:::shame:::wowzers:: talking about dropping the ball ;:;rofl
Oh well better tell your know it all downrigger that if the park board wants a new skating rink pool better start getting on the phone making some phone calls.

- - - Updated - - -

e where you find your information at

- - - Updated - - -

I have no dog in this fight but it seems like communities rarely regret building these types of things. Can't argue with trying to get the most bang for the buck though.

Yeah needs to be built somewhere else say hypothetically devils lake has a big boom in 10 years population doubles by 2028. Now they need a new high school if they built in a new location the new school, new hospital and housing development could be built around the new community recreational center. This is not let's help out the college high school it's a communty center for new borns to senior citzens.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe,just maybe, the people in our community don’t trust the Park Boards leadership on this. Until they can tell their voters exactly what they get for what, operating costs, and costs to property taxpayers at different levels of membership numbers should it not break even it’s going to be a hard sell. I believe most people want something, but it needs to be realistic with i’s dotted and t’s crossed. Something our Park leaders haven’t been very good at so far. Trust us doesn’t work in today’s tax environment.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good news is the people spoke and it wasn't close. I hope they drop the plan all together and they should.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good news is the people spoke and it wasn't close. I hope they drop the plan all together and they should.

They probably won't. Just like Grand Forks, we voted down a new library big-time, yet the politicians still keep bringing up the issue. It seems like it doesn't matter what level politician you are....you're still a douche who can't spend other peoples money fast enough.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Same here , No dog in the fight. I applaud those that are willing to grab the bull by the horns and try to make projects like this happen but most often more communication AKA INPUT is needed up front before spending a crapload of money on design. Paying attention to INPUT is the key because in the end the majority decides no matter how bad a few want it their way. Just my two pennies worth. I actually believe this project would have passed with flying colors with a few minor changes and a few more dollars and it would have been worth it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
responding to lunker above: didn't look. just know. have some knowledge about these types of projects. there was a bunch of misinformation floated around on this project. a bit on both sides. the against side was led mainly by a to remain unnamed fitness center owner. and i guess i can't blame him.

anyway: i live outside city limits. so, i couldn't vote. if i could have, i probably would have voted for it. but, a few concerns:

1. cost. 19-23 million seems like a lot of coin for a building like this. things have gotten outrageously expensive lately. but, that's what happens when you get companies involved that each get to take home 6% of the final cost they convince you "you need this and you need that" and "that's just what things cost these days". I think a lot of folk had the feeling you could build it bigger and better for that price or build the same thing for less. there was no convincing them otherwise. and i am no expert on these things. so, i don't really know what it costs myself. but, i can tell you a lot of people felt that way.

2. cost of upkeep and operation. very few thought this thing would bankroll its operations on user fees and memberships alone. the numbers they were tossing around for expected expenses vs income from memberships, price of fees, number of users year round, etc... seemed a bit optimistic to most. this town isn't growing. in fact, i think the true numbers show it shrinking. also, i have heard that our economic activity... money in and money out... has been pretty stagnant since the dike construction ended. so, i tend to believe it would need support to stay open.

3. location. convenient for the schools and certain activities. not so convenient for the community as a whole. no room for expansion or for business to grow around it. although, there weren't a lot of other options. one i heard was where knutson's is. but, that wasn't exactly ideal either.

4. need to update a lot of existing structures. a lot of people recognize that we have a lot of old buildings in this town that will need updating or will have to be replaced in the next 20 years. schools, burdick, bill jerome, etc... the only one this building would actually replace would be the bill jerome arena. it supplements the others. so, we are going to have to come up with money for those projects too in addition to this.

5. it would have competed with the already 4 private fitness centers we have in this town. the kids already have the sportscenter upstairs to work out at before, during and immediately after school. if they need to work out later or on weekends, the other fitness centers are dirt cheap. and those places serve the adult population well already. its never a good idea to have government competing with private entities. especially in a town that likes to view itself as ultra conservative. combine that topic with any phrase like "increased taxes" and you are asking for trouble in ND. i think they would have been better served keeping that part out of the equation. it caused a fight that they lost.

some pros:

1. obviously, it looks like a great building. nice as hell. and would be a draw and a plus for our community.

2. those in the know will tell you ice time is hard to come by in this town. we have trouble getting ice time for everyone. kids are on the ice way too late every night and way too early in the morning (figure skaters need to hit the ice sometimes as early as 5 i've heard). and that is going to become harder when the bill eventually gets bulldozed in the not so distant future. its just a matter of time.

3. gym space/time is also hard to come by here too. the frustrating thing about gym space is that it seems like we didn't plan very well for that. the sweetwater addition is nice. but, it has absolutely no functional seating when both gyms are in use. very poor planning there. the same goes for the sportcenter really. we can run two courts. but, you also have very little space for people to sit and watch when we have both of those gyms going at the same time. and none of our existing gyms are actually open for "open gym" time for the general public to use very often if ever. you need to be one of the local special people who have key to get extra gym time. which is a load of bullshit in the minds of a lot of community members. having said that, we could do a better job of making those places available to the public without having to build new. and the plans for the proposed gym didn't look like they had much seating either. unless i am not remembering correctly.

4. an indoor pool. we need one. and this one looked nice. but, it also didn't look real big. and also didn't have a water slide. seems to me if you are going to spend 20 mil, you should have both of those bases covered. also, unknown to a lot of people, we already have the deaf school that is open to the public on saturdays in the winter and other classes, etc... held there. it seems under utilized to some. but, this pool was supposedly going to be more accessible to the public with more open hours, etc.. because the building would be staffed better. i don't think the deaf school pool had the opportunity provide that.

5. sales tax. this is clearly the best way to pay for a project like this. most people would have never noticed the increase in sales tax they paid. but, they may have noticed the other tax we eventually would have had to levy to support the place and/or make improvements to other structures going forward.

6. running track. indoors. enough said. running circles in the square hallway surrounding the sportcenter gym... not cool

7. it would have been a draw and served a purpose for youth. admit it or not, this building would have improved the draw to our community. or at least helped in the motivation to stay here. and we need a more accessible place for our youth to hang out and stay active.

i've got a few other things to say. but, i am running late for a meeting....

Last edited:

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I grew up in the DL area. I've been away from things for the better part of a decade and wasn't aware this was even on the ballot.

Were they really selling this project that it was cash-flow itself or make a profit? If that was the case, a private investor would have built this thing long ago.....more efficient and more economical I can guarantee that.

I might be a bit off my rocker as I'm starting to have the mind set that school athletic programs should be cut altogether. Let private business create leagues, teams, etc, etc, etc..... With main point being, take the burden off the tax payer to fund these things as well as eliminating all the BS that comes along with it. I've heard multiple stories where schools have lost good educators because they also coached. The parents and/or AD's got so crazy with things that the coaches quit and moved.

Let's get back to building things that are needed. And if it's needed, build it functional and economical.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, Devils Lake will always be a shithole, due to the rez that borders it.

No amount of investment or good intentions will change that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In most cases I don't think it's so much that people don't want to modernize or upgrade but it's the crazy over the top designs that kill most of these projects .]

It doesn't look too over the top to me. Not everything in these towns has to be built like a Quonset. Have something the town can be proud to look at.

Fancy is fine and dandy if you have Bakken oil wells pumping money into it and people standing in line to get in.

- - - Updated - - -

Or in a big city with enough people to keep it running at capacity.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They probably won't. Just like Grand Forks, we voted down a new library big-time, yet the politicians still keep bringing up the issue. It seems like it doesn't matter what level politician you are....you're still a douche who can't spend other peoples money fast enough.

If you've lived there long enough, you should also remember the SNAFU with the Alerus getting built. More like, the taxpayers getting bent over by CanadInn.

We're seeing the exact same thing here in Bismarck the past few years with CanadInn.

Note, I'm not saying Grand Forks doesn't benefit from having the Alerus, I just didn't like how it was done.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All I will add to this discussion is that when the West River Community Center, in Dickinson was proposed and put to the ballot, it failed the first try, But corporate commitments, it was brought back for another vote. It seemed like the older members of the community we’re against more. But it did eventually pass. It didn’t take long and memberships exceeded projections, the building bond was paid off early and an addition was completed to include additional basketball court, tennis court and extended the walking track. On any given day, the center is bustling with activity and a lot of elderly folks using the facility. I even questioned the need back in the day...but darn glad we have it. We still have weight and fitness businesses in town and they are doing OK. I believe construction costs estimates came in pretty close.

Just thought I would share the info.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I will add to this discussion is that when the West River Community Center, in Dickinson was proposed and put to the ballot, it failed the first try, But corporate commitments, it was brought back for another vote. It seemed like the older members of the community we’re against more. But it did eventually pass. It didn’t take long and memberships exceeded projections, the building bond was paid off early and an addition was completed to include additional basketball court, tennis court and extended the walking track. On any given day, the center is bustling with activity and a lot of elderly folks using the facility. I even questioned the need back in the day...but darn glad we have it. We still have weight and fitness businesses in town and they are doing OK. I believe construction costs estimates came in pretty close.

Just thought I would share the info.
how big is your town vs devils lake? Dl is around 7500

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice score guywholikestoshare
As usual the comment section was filled with some really good information. Just like downrigger and the person who wrote this letter no means no.
There was a few posters that bickered back and forth but the conversation stayed on the rails. Mostly about the firm JLG, baby boomers leaaving, GF needing a dome becuase fargo has one even though allerus never panned out and is always in the red.
There was other examples but I didn't read them all

- - - Updated - - -

This one was good which I will repost
Rob, I don't have time to read all the response so far so here is my take. If this has been said I apologize up front.
If you know anything about this vote it was highly influenced by the local owner of an exercise facility in the renovated Wal-Mart building. He used his fuel company (located outside the city limits of Devils Lake) as the sponsor of his ad and not even his exercise business in the mall. He hired an impressive voice that made it sound like it was from a tax group or some watch dog group out to protect us all. He brow beat the profits going out of town with taxpayer dollars. (never mentioned all the profits he sent out of town with his exercise equipment purchase when he opened his facility) It sounded like we were paying from our property taxes and not the sales taxes that were going to pay for it. The ad kept repeating from "tax payers dollars" not from dedicated sales tax dollars as it the case. He also did not mention his local business does not even have close to all the amenities the new center would be providing. He also didn't mention his rates are well above what would be charged at the new facility. He said it could be built for half the cost. Provided no ideas or specifics on this assertion either. I have no idea if it can or can't be done. I just know that the amenities being offered in the new facility were well beyond what is offered now by any business. And at an affordable price for the entire community. Plus it would be paid for with sales taxes and not property taxes. You can control what you spend on sales taxes. Plus all the sales taxes collected from non residents would be huge. We as citizens would not have to foot all the bill to build it. It is sad that a single business person under a disguise ruined a fair vote on this project.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
architects generally get 8-10% of the finish project cost. what the general contractor makes is whatever he bid in the price to build the building.

- - - Updated - - -

williston is having a referendum vote in a couple weeks for 70 million dollars worth of school buildings. They just built a brand new high school two years ago. They will be maxing out their take from the tax payers on bond measures. The architecture firm will get roughly 8 million. That's assinine. With as many tax payer funded building projects going on all the time we need a state owned architecture firm. One that can draft these plans up using reasonable costs and charge a reasonable flat fee for those renderings.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 47
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 14