Fishing tip/observation

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, a buddy of mine and me finally got my old permanent on the ice sunday afternoon! I put it near where I had it first part of the year last year. We are in 24 FOW. After getting all set up and situated and heat on, holes drilled and cleaned, we were ready to sit and fish and have a few busch lites and get ready for the afternoon/sundown nite bite. But alas...while it would have been a cardinal sin to forget the Busch lite, we did forget to pick up bait. I called my wonderful better half...hey honey..why don't you drive out and go fishing with us...and by the way..can you stop by the bait shop for some minnows and waxies also? Hey..bring that neat Cfish camera Santa brought you last year and we can check if we see anything or if water would be too stained. She made it out there before we had finished our first Busch light.haha Water clarity actually wasn't bad and she was able to see mostly perch and some walleye. Anyway..when we left for the day/evening we had 5 keeper perch to clean. Knowing my better half had Monday off work( I did not),I suggested to her that I could leave the heat on and bring her and one of her friends out in the morning or afternoon and they could sit in the house and fish and solve women's problems. She thought that was a swell idea.
Morning was out of the question though. And one of her friends had to back out of the afternoon fishing idea also but my better half still wanted to go fishing the afternoon so I brought her out to the fish house on my lunch break and got her all set up..dead stick with a genz worm and waxie, rattle wheel with a plain red hook and minnow and got a few jigging rods with different lures on for her to try. One of them I had a snap so she could change out without having to retie. I left a plastic tackle box with all the greatest lures God has ever created including jigging raps, buckshots, flying rattlers,chubby darters,slender spoons, Swedish pimples,kast masters,hali, genz, perch talkers, tungstens, frosty spoons. Pretty much a few different sizes and colors of each. Probably even had a lure or 2 that came as a recommendation from a friend of a friend of an uncle who heard some scuttle butt at a local coffee shop how this lure was the hot lure and every fisherman worth his weight in gold needed to have one or 2.
So I got the vex set up..she got her cfish camera set up in another hole and I headed back to work and told her to text if she needed anything and I would be back after work for the nite bite with her. I told her that if she is seeing fish on camera but they don't want to take what you have down there, try downsizing lures, fresh minnow, add another waxie, basically switch things up to try and fool them.
Fast forward a few hours..I get back out there at 4pm and she had 3 perch in the bucket and said she threw back a couple of dink walleyes. She had moved the camera to another hole and had the vex off completely..ahaha was just using the camera in one hole and jigging in another hole where she could see her jig. What was she catching them on??? And here comes my fishing tip/observation..hahahha She had picked a lure out of my tackle box that I wouldn't have tried...well I may have..but not before trying other things. She was using a small frosty spoon 1/16..tiny little treble hooks. She had downsized from what I had set up with her initially to this frosty. She continued to catch and miss a few more perch. Of course when I looked for another frosty to put on my rig, none were to be found. I got shut out trying buckshots,flying rattlers, jigging raps, tungsten, hali. Those perch didn't want any of what I was offering them. Frosty or nothing that afternoon. (when we got home last nite, I found 3 frostys in my tackle box on my vex!!hahaha I knew I had more than one..
At the end of the day..i learned something from my better half..sometimes we have to think outside the box and fish with stuff we wouldn't normally fish with. I am sure my better half just picked a lure out of that tackle box to use and she didn't have that ....well this one always works mentality or this one never works mentality and just put in the rod to try.
That's my fishing tip/observation of the day..try stuff you normally don't try.
The end

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, sounds like you have a good one there! Secondly I agree and sometimes it irritates the crap out of me. One instance is using plastics. It drives me nuts to have something on the end of the line that wasn't alive at at least some point. I will give them a try now and them but I don't think I give them a fair "shake" because of my lack of confidence in them. Work in progress.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice that you live so close to the lake.

We have a lake close too, but the fishing is hit and miss.

mrs johnr would never sit in a fish house, ever. She loves being in the boat, and is a true outdoor person, hates with a passion to be on the ice. I am fortunate that she has no problem with me going and doing whatever I end up doing, but she will not join me on the hard water.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it! good read rooster. Ithought forsure you were coming to when other guyz horned in on your spot or some such thing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not one to let my tackle box remained closed much. I switch out often and usually have a rod that has an on deck lure. summer time is even worse.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have a buddy that I go fishing with that will consistantly put me to shame with plain, unpainted jigs. It's frustrating, and hilarious.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
1/16oz frostee is actually one that I always keep handy, has become a confidence jig for me I guess. Plastics and lipless cranks are a work in progress for confidence. Sometimes hard to leave what has worked in the past

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a buddy that I go fishing with that will consistantly put me to shame with plain, unpainted jigs. It's frustrating, and hilarious.

One of my dad's friends will put on a clinic with an unpainted 1/16th ounce jig in any condition.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you see KDM tie on a white 1/16 or 1/8oz jig you're in deep doo-doo.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What drives me nuts, is that no matter what lures I think the fish want, 9 times out of 10 it's the dang plain hook tipped with a minnow under a slip bobber that gets hit.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
a glow whitey with a red eye is my go to lure for absolutely everything but perch on DL. when all else fails, i beat the hell out of the bottom with that baby and something will inevitably show up to at least have a look around. the one perch i have in my freezer waiting for a few more to go on the wall with it came in the spring time from a duck boat on the old whitey. so, it works for the perch too. just tends to be too big most of the time for perch.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
What drives me nuts, is that no matter what lures I think the fish want, 9 times out of 10 it's the dang plain hook tipped with a minnow under a slip bobber that gets hit.

fishing is funny. I havent fished a ton this year, but ive caught exactly 1 fish on a deadstick this winter so far. Very weird.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88